AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

8 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

How did he win the Seattle game? Your defense kept them scoreless in the first half and picked Wilson off 3 times. Seattle only had 10 points with 10 mins to go in the 4th quarter...

Watch the game. Just because our defense played well doesn't mean that should take away but Blake did. Won the game may be rich, but he was a big reason for us winning that game.

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

He is going to be their Vince Young. 

"He wins!"   

I think he is the Mularkey of QBs. Not terrible but you could do a lot better. 

No one is saying he's elite. This whole garbage talk is ridiculous though. I'd say that whether he's our QB or not next season. Is he going to will a team to a SB? No. But there's not many guys that can in the NFL. He's shown he can limit mistakes and play within his game to get the job done. He managed the game this year pretty darn well. I'd be cool with Blake next year if we can't find an upgrade, but the talent needs to increase as far as weapons. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Watch the game. Just because our defense played well doesn't mean that should take away but Blake did. Won the game may be rich, but he was a big reason for us winning that game.

No one is saying he's elite. This whole garbage talk is ridiculous though. I'd say that whether he's our QB or not next season. Is he going to will a team to a SB? No. But there's not many guys that can in the NFL. He's shown he can limit mistakes and play within his game to get the job done. He managed the game this year pretty darn well. I'd be cool with Blake next year if we can't find an upgrade, but the talent needs to increase as far as weapons. 

Again not saying he can't win with him. This year  is a prime example of being able to win with him. 

I wouldn't trust him. But he can be an improved Dilfer version  to the defense. 

I didn't think he is garbage, but I just don't think he is good enough to win consistently. 

I say he is like Young because we used to win games mainly because of the defense and young would throw for 80 yards. The conversations being had are so similar to the ones we had then. 

He divided the forum. Lol 

You could do worst but I think the team could be unstoppable with a better QB. I'd buy the best one possible in FA. 

I’m not going to argue Blake is a good QB because he is average.

in the last 12 games, not including fake punts and Blake’s rushing yards, the Jags averaged 3.3 YPC (337 attempts for 1,133 yards). The Jags running game wasn’t very good despite leading the league in rushing, which is funny to say.

Despite throwing to rookie WR’s such as Cole, Westbrook, Mickens and a sub-par run game, the Jags offense in those 12 games (I took away ST and Def TD’s) still averaged 23 PPG.

I know he was trash against you guys in both of the games but considering what he worked with this year, he did a pretty decent job. He definitely improved his mechanics as well. He is just so inconsistent. That is what bothers me most.

The Jags should upgrade the QB spot but with A-Rob returning, if they give him a weapon at TE in the Draft and bolster the interior O-Line, maybe he will take another step forward if they stick with him.

And no, he’s not better than Marcus.

• Like 1

I just think the Jags would be silly not to make a serious run at an Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins. I don't think either of those guys are great, but they are good enough to win a super bowl with a very good team, which the Jags are IMO. And given the future cap implications, the Jags window will never be more wide open than it is for these next couple of years. I know Bortles got you to the AFC championship game, but this was a very weird year. Not to mention, the chances of the Jaguars duplicating their good fortune with injuries this year is a million to one. Probably gonna have to lean on the offense at some point. Go get a QB.   

21 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I’m not going to argue Blake is a good QB because he is average.

in the last 12 games, not including fake punts and Blake’s rushing yards, the Jags averaged 3.3 YPC (337 attempts for 1,133 yards). The Jags running game wasn’t very good despite leading the league in rushing, which is funny to say.

Despite throwing to rookie WR’s such as Cole, Westbrook, Mickens and a sub-par run game, the Jags offense in those 12 games (I took away ST and Def TD’s) still averaged 23 PPG.

I know he was trash against you guys in both of the games but considering what he worked with this year, he did a pretty decent job. He definitely improved his mechanics as well. He is just so inconsistent. That is what bothers me most.

The Jags should upgrade the QB spot but with A-Rob returning, if they give him a weapon at TE in the Draft and bolster the interior O-Line, maybe he will take another step forward if they stick with him.

And no, he’s not better than Marcus.

Good post. 

7 minutes ago, ShupacTakur said:

I just think the Jags would be silly not to make a serious run at an Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins. I don't think either of those guys are great, but they are good enough to win a super bowl with a very good team, which the Jags are IMO. And given the future cap implications, the Jags window will never be more wide open than it is for these next couple of years. I know Bortles got you to the AFC championship game, but this was a very weird year. Not to mention, the chances of the Jaguars duplicating their good fortune with injuries this year is a million to one. Probably gonna have to lean on the offense at some point. Go get a QB.   

I can get behind Cousins, but I'm not sure Smith is a drastic upgrade.

He isn't willing this team to a SB, he has had issues with each team on getting anywhere in the playoffs. He would require a draft pick to get him. We don't have the same weapons here that he has in KC either, at least not yet.

Is he better than Blake? Yeah. But is it by that much? I really don't think so. He'd have similar drawbacks on what he can and can't do.

Edited by .Buzz

Another problem with the “go get a QB in free agency” is cost. The Jags are starting to get to a point that the money isn’t seemingly limitless anymore.

Kirk is probably significantly better than Blake, but he’s also probably going to command $12-15M/year more on the open market. That’s money that theoretically is going to be used to cover signing Yannick Ngakoue or Jalen Ramsey to long term deals. Is Cousins worth Bortles+Yan or Bortles+Ramsey? I have a hard time thinking the answer is unequivocally yes.

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

If the Jags had Alex Smith I would easily to predict them to win the division. I understand cost is a factor, and that may not be likely. Is he great? No. Is he a significant improvement over Bortles? I think so.

Yeah, just gotta agree to disagree then.

Is Alex Smith better? Yes. But like I said above, I don't think it's drastic and I saw plenty of KC games this year as my buddy is a huge Chiefs fan. Way too often did I see guys wide open downfield and instead of taking a shot he took off for a 3 yard run on 3rd and long.

If you want to talk about conservative QB's that don't like taking many chances, Alex Smith is pretty much the poster boy. I'd welcome him in Jacksonville, but as I said, I don't think the improvement is much. Especially not enough to trade a 3rd/4th round pick AND extend him (as I believe he's an FA after next year).

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, just gotta agree to disagree then.

Is Alex Smith better? Yes. But like I said above, I don't think it's drastic and I saw plenty of KC games this year as my buddy is a huge Chiefs fan. Way too often did I see guys wide open downfield and instead of taking a shot he took off for a 3 yard run on 3rd and long.

If you want to talk about conservative QB's that don't like taking many chances, Alex Smith is pretty much the poster boy. I'd welcome him in Jacksonville, but as I said, I don't think the improvement is much. Especially not enough to trade a 3rd/4th round pick AND extend him (as I believe he's an FA after next year).

Smith is conservative, but I don't believe KC has ever attempted to hide him in order to win a game. I don't believe Bortles is a conservative QB, but the coaching staff is conservative with him, rightfully so. I think the attempt to hide Bortles is the reasoning behind leading the league in rushing with 3.3 YPC. Teams know exactly ehat yo expect.

It's the reasoning Mularkeys offense went to ****. 

But agree to disagree. You've seen more of him than I have, that's justvwhat I've seen.

6 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Smith is conservative, but I don't believe KC has ever attempted to hide him in order to win a game. I don't believe Bortles is a conservative QB, but the coaching staff is conservative with him, rightfully so. I think the attempt to hide Bortles is the reasoning behind leading the league in rushing with 3.3 YPC. Teams know exactly ehat yo expect.

It's the reasoning Mularkeys offense went to ****. 

But agree to disagree. You've seen more of him than I have, that's justvwhat I've seen.

Just because they were conservative with Blake doesn't mean he can't do more though. Why wouldn't you be conservative when you have a top 2 defense and a top 5 overall pick in the backfield with the top 2 WR's out most of the season (ARob being out all season, Hurns missing a large amount)?

When he was given opportunities to throw on early downs and get in a rhythm early in games is when he usually played his best. We saw that especially against NE (15/18, 150+ yds, 1 TD, 0 INT) and against PIT on the national stage.

Again, Blake isn't a good QB, but I do think he's an average one that you can win with as we saw this year even with a run game that fell off a bit after midseason when Fournette hurt his ankle and never really was the same. 

He is a guy you should surround with a lot of talent though (as with all game manager types), and he didn't have much of that, at least proven talent. Cole and Dede showed flashes but were very inexperienced of course.

If he is the QB, ARob needs to be a lock to stay (I believe he is) and we need to draft a TE that can make some plays (Lewis is nice, but not a top TE type at this point in his career).

Edited by .Buzz

Personally I don't think Bortles is good... I wouldn't even say he's an average starting QB since that would put him at about the 16th best QB.  He's slightly below average to below average...  20th-25th.  

But in today's NFL, even slightly below QBs get paid.  Looking at previous contracts, adjusting for inflation... I think someone gives Bortles 20M/year.  I see 100M over 5 years... 40-45M of that coming in years 1 and 2 (with an out after 2, spread over 3 cap years).  Bortles is already getting $19M this year... so it's not that big of a stretch.

Coming off a "bounce back" season and an AFCCG performance... I hope it's the Jags that give him that money.  They have a couple years with that defense before they have to make difficult choices on their Dline and Ramsey and Jack.   I also think this season could be their peak... they were extremely healthy on the defensive side... a feat hardly ever duplicated two consecutive seasons.  

As far as Jax making  run for Kirk... I'm starting to think he ends up Cleveland.  With all their cap space, I can see them offering him $30M+ per... with a ton of money guaranteed.  I'm thinking record breaking money... a contract like ARod signed with the Rangers (not in terms of total money, but the effect it had on salaries after that... where no one topped that money for close to a decade).  If they get Barkley and Cousins, all of a sudden that offense looks good with Gordon back, Coleman, and Higgins, NJoku's potential and a solid line... they can also get Fitzpatrick to go on that D with Garrett and Shelton (and don't forget they have 3 more picks in the 2nd round).

I also 100% expect the Titans to pick Mariota's 2019 option this offseason... which will probably go around $22M+... and we'll be looking at a contract in the $25-30M range in the not too distant future (unless he goes the Brady route)...

• Like 1