Browns General Discussion

candyman93

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t see plays like that as solely emotion though.  That’s a decision you make when you realize the WR has positioned himself between you and the ball carrier next to the sideline.  You’re not gonna get a clean shot on the ball carrier, but you will on the WR which could knock the ball carrier out of bounds or at least limit any cutback/wiggle room.

Christ if nothing else it makes that WR perhaps a bit hesitant to block next time.  

But yeah, hitting and initiating contact are a prerequisite 

I think typically it's a "you are wired this way or you aren't" thing, and I think that having that kind of emotion/intensity is a conduit to executing that. It isn't for everyone, and I'm not generally that type of an emotional defensive player, which is probably why I was more of a coverage/ball hawk guy than a "fit iso" guy, but still.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I think typically it's a "you are wired this way or you aren't" thing, and I think that having that kind of emotion/intensity is a conduit to executing that. It isn't for everyone, and I'm not generally that type of an emotional defensive player, which is probably why I was more of a coverage/ball hawk guy than a "fit iso" guy, but still.

Yeah, some guys just aren't going to give effort on defense. Seen it my entire life. 

You don't have to play angry, it can work at certain positions you just have to be determined to do everything you can to stop a play from working. That doesn't mean that you take on a 300 OL head on because that isn't going to help the play fail, but you do what you can and there is always a way that you can succeed in the moment and break up the play. May not be true but you believe it while you are out there. 

Then you fast forward 27 years playing flag football in a small college league (against some recent DIV 1 players) and all of a sudden I do understand why players play the way they play... I don't want to get hurt and not be able to go to work in the morning. I've worked a 40 hour week and I'm exhausted before the game even starts. There is a larger gap between losing my first wind and catching my second wind than there used to be. This guy is 30 years younger let him chase that guy down. Etc...

Yeah, I was at about 95% effort playing and it embarrassed me. I was also embarrassed being a step behind the ball carrier and not being able to catch him which initially was a shock to my system. I was never anything as far as strength or bulk but speed was my game so I'd chase down everything, you never know if someone trips or gets cocky and you can Don Beebe their ***. 

But the passion wasn't the same. The win wasn't as important. I played a million backyard games, hell sometimes it was 3 on 3 with an all time QB and those wins always mattered. 

Maybe wealth can also make you less passionate (I haven't studied that one yet but if someone has a few extra million to hand over I will get right on it). 

Age definitely seems to matter as your body doesn't respond or recover like it once did and you no longer feel that your 100% is 100% anyway.

Some guys just never have that desire but if you are talented enough you can be driven by the future lifestyle to at least give enough effort that you make it into the league.

For the most part and what I'm trying to say is I agree, you are either wired that way or not. I just wanted to make a book out of it. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, some guys just aren't going to give effort on defense. Seen it my entire life. 

You don't have to play angry, it can work at certain positions you just have to be determined to do everything you can to stop a play from working. That doesn't mean that you take on a 300 OL head on because that isn't going to help the play fail, but you do what you can and there is always a way that you can succeed in the moment and break up the play. May not be true but you believe it while you are out there. 

Then you fast forward 27 years playing flag football in a small college league (against some recent DIV 1 players) and all of a sudden I do understand why players play the way they play... I don't want to get hurt and not be able to go to work in the morning. I've worked a 40 hour week and I'm exhausted before the game even starts. There is a larger gap between losing my first wind and catching my second wind than there used to be. This guy is 30 years younger let him chase that guy down. Etc...

Yeah, I was at about 95% effort playing and it embarrassed me. I was also embarrassed being a step behind the ball carrier and not being able to catch him which initially was a shock to my system. I was never anything as far as strength or bulk but speed was my game so I'd chase down everything, you never know if someone trips or gets cocky and you can Don Beebe their ***. 

But the passion wasn't the same. The win wasn't as important. I played a million backyard games, hell sometimes it was 3 on 3 with an all time QB and those wins always mattered. 

Maybe wealth can also make you less passionate (I haven't studied that one yet but if someone has a few extra million to hand over I will get right on it). 

Age definitely seems to matter as your body doesn't respond or recover like it once did and you no longer feel that your 100% is 100% anyway.

Some guys just never have that desire but if you are talented enough you can be driven by the future lifestyle to at least give enough effort that you make it into the league.

For the most part and what I'm trying to say is I agree, you are either wired that way or not. I just wanted to make a book out of it. 

TL:DR

o1bimp4-2.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

no accountability here 

Yeah man it’s hard not to look at this and not start blaming Stefanski. I realize some have been there, but I’m definitely a supporter and think he can be the guy, but he’s gotta demand better from his defense, hard stop.

I don’t love letting Woods finish the year, but it’s whatever I guess.  He simply can’t be our DC in ‘23 though.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah man it’s hard not to look at this and not start blaming Stefanski. I realize some have been there, but I’m definitely a supporter and think he can be the guy, but he’s gotta demand better from his defense, hard stop.

I don’t love letting Woods finish the year, but it’s whatever I guess.  He simply can’t be our DC in ‘23 though.

I know not everyone has been thrilled with when Stefanski has decided to go for it instead of kicking the FG or been unhappy that the team didn't seem motivated for a game but the majority of Stefanski complaints has always been allowing the defense of his team, that he is in charge of, to continue doing the same things game after game and year after year.

This is Stefanski's staff and Stefanski has to be the master of his own staff. If he doesn't start playing with his staff a little bit and make the cream rise to the top then I can only guess we will send this jerk off.

Anyone else feeling hot all of a sudden?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I know not everyone has been thrilled with when Stefanski has decided to go for it instead of kicking the FG or been unhappy that the team didn't seem motivated for a game but the majority of Stefanski complaints has always been allowing the defense of his team, that he is in charge of, to continue doing the same things game after game and year after year.

This is Stefanski's staff and Stefanski has to be the master of his own staff. If he doesn't start playing with his staff a little bit and make the cream rise to the top then I can only guess we will send this jerk off.

Anyone else feeling hot all of a sudden?

GIF by Desus & Mero

This will sound icky, but the entire focus of this franchise going forward is to build around Watson. Not build around Chubb or Garrett, despite them being significantly better human beings.

Making that trade for Watson and paying that much for him means you have to do what Green Bay was doing for Rodgers before they drafted Jordan Love.

24 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This will sound icky, but the entire focus of this franchise going forward is to build around Watson. Not build around Chubb or Garrett, despite them being significantly better human beings.

Making that trade for Watson and paying that much for him means you have to do what Green Bay was doing for Rodgers before they drafted Jordan Love.

That being said, there is 0 reason to not keep both Chubb, and Garrett.  You keep your stars, and build the rest of the team with serviceable players.  Since we are going to be in cap hell for the next few years, Berry needs to show how creative he can be.

• Like 2

Bottom line is Browns record is 6-15 over last 21 games with five straight losses and demands changes.  Haslam is too cheap to fire any coaches.  Fact is Stefanski is offensive coordinator not head coach.  All he does is call plays.  Woods has proved his schemes do not work and the players don’t buy in to the program.  Our special teams are one of the worst in league.  Clean house and find a head coach who knows how to coach all three key coaches.  We have too many key players in their prime and need to capitalize while the window of opportunity is open.

1 hour ago, #32 said:

Bottom line is Browns record is 6-15 over last 21 games with five straight losses and demands changes.  Haslam is too cheap to fire any coaches.  Fact is Stefanski is offensive coordinator not head coach.  All he does is call plays.  Woods has proved his schemes do not work and the players don’t buy in to the program.  Our special teams are one of the worst in league.  Clean house and find a head coach who knows how to coach all three key coaches.  We have too many key players in their prime and need to capitalize while the window of opportunity is open.

As far as Stefanski and the record, who are these coaches who win consistently with *** QBs? The reasons we’re losing have little to do with the HC. It’s defense, ST and starting Jacoby Brissett/Baker Mayfield.

Is a HC supposed to be able to fix/control all of that?  If so, why do teams even bother hiring coordinators?

If Stefanski refuses to fire woods/preifer at the end of the season, sure, he’s now assumed all responsibility for next season.  But wanting to fire a guy before he even gets to coach the pro bowl QB we traded for is a wild *** stance imo.

• Like 2

It’s pretty obvious that Stefanski just wants to be an offensive coordinator. He has zero control over the defense or ST. No interest at all in adjusting anything on any other side of the ball other than offense. He needs to go. We can give him the best DC and ST coach in the world and it wouldn’t matter. He’s proven he doesn’t care about making decisions on those ends. His one great year was during Covid when he could coach the team from his basement and didn’t need to make in person decisions. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As far as Stefanski and the record, who are these coaches who win consistently with *** QBs? The reasons we’re losing have little to do with the HC. It’s defense, ST and starting Jacoby Brissett/Baker Mayfield.

Is a HC supposed to be able to fix/control all of that?  If so, why do teams even bother hiring coordinators?

If Stefanski refuses to fire woods/preifer at the end of the season, sure, he’s now assumed all responsibility for next season.  But wanting to fire a guy before he even gets to coach the pro bowl QB we traded for is a wild *** stance imo.

Even if Watson comes in and lights the league on fire it’s not going to change the fact that Stefanski has done zero adjusting on defense. No accountability at all. That’s not what a HC is suppose to do. You’re suppose to control both sides. Even if he doesn’t want to fire woods mid season we should have then seen some sort of adjustment. Some kind of coverage change. It’s been the same for 3 years now. The same soft zone that defenses have walked right down the field on. If he can’t tell woods that he needs to play up on receivers which is the obvious adjustment to anyone who had eyes then he’s not a leader. And shouldn’t be coaching this team.