Browns General Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Stefanski is right. For whatever reason linebackers are still coached to commit very hard to the run, that pass heavy teams can still torch them with play action. Kansas City is a perfect example.

Then maybe he should use play action more. We don’t run it enough. Play actions and roll outs need to be the center of our passing offense 

Edited by sdrawkcab321

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Stefanski is right. For whatever reason linebackers are still coached to commit very hard to the run, that pass heavy teams can still torch them with play action. Kansas City is a perfect example.

Trying to get people to like the idea of trading Chubb?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Trying to get people to like the idea of trading Chubb?

They don't value the run, they value explosive plays. Chubb is still making explosivenplays though he did slow down towards the end of the year. 

I thought our line wasn't that strong towards the end of the year. 

Imo Chubb isn't a create out-of nothing back, he maximizes what the line gives him better than anyone in the league. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

They don't value the run, they value explosive plays. Chubb is still making explosivenplays though he did slow down towards the end of the year. 

Imo Chubb isn't a create out-of nothing back, he maximizes what the line gives him better than anyone in the league. 

I mean, he was second in the league in rushing in 2019 with a dumpster fire of an OL group and Freddie at the helm.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Because with how slanted the rules are for offenses in the NFL with illegal contact, spot foul DPI, the fact that RPO's are essentially legal OPI and/or ineligible man downfield over 90% of the time, and those rules have effectively killed press man and Cover 2, you now have to match numbers in the box. 

You have 5 OL and a running back, with potentially at least 1 TE/H back, and if you have a running QB, you're already at a -1 disadvantage.

Assuming 5 OL with a RB, you need at minimum 6 in the box, and 7 in the box if that TE/H/FB is in the game as well. LB used to be able to read the OL and if they run blocked, you commit, whereas now, it could easily be an RPO since no ref believes in throwing a flag for ineligible lineman downfield on a quick hitting play (it only happens on screens or when a QB scrambles past the initial RPO window).

So, since you can't play Cover 2 or press man due to defensive holding and illegal contact emphasis, you now have a lot of stress on the Mike, Sam, and/or apex player in the slot. If he doesn't commit, it's a 5+ yard gain AT MINIMUM for that running back...or if they commit and the team has some semblance of a receiving TE and/or slot, it's a potentially huge play.

KC is a perfect example of having a capable running game despite not having a good/great running back, because they force teams to keep them honest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:
6 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I mean, he was second in the league in rushing in 2019 with a dumpster fire of an OL group and Freddie at the helm.

He also averages more yards after contact than anyone ever.

• Like 2

The bottom line is a traditional run first team (not so much a team with huge rushing stats due to QBs) is going to have a hard time maintaining a competitive offense.

The old adage of “you need to establish the run to throw” is not only wrong, but more or less bass ackwards.  You can use RPO, PA, etc to help open up the pass game but if you can’t pass teams will absolutely just stack the box and you’re essentially toast.

I don’t get the pass vs Nick Chubb thing tbh, neither are mutually exclusive.

We may run less, sure, but if the pass game is successful then that’s ok.  The important thing is when we do choose/need to run, we’ve got arguably the best in the game doing the job and he shouldn’t be overworked.

Also, if you want to pass more I think a smart coach would find some ways to involve Chubb in the pass game with 3-4 receptions per game.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We may run less, sure, but if the pass game is successful then that’s ok.  The important thing is when we do choose/need to run, we’ve got arguably the best in the game doing the job and he shouldn’t be overworked.

Also, if you want to pass more I think a smart coach would find some ways to involve Chubb in the pass game with 3-4 receptions per game.

What's also very interesting to me is the lack of offensive holding calls in pass pro while also having a lot of offensive holding calls in the running game. It's another way the league is absolutely dictating what fans "want to see" or the "aesthetically pleasing" aspects of the game.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I feel like we got Chubb involved a bit more in the passing game once Watson took over. Hopefully that will continue next year.

• Like 1

Honestly gives me some "meh" vibes. They had a historically elite pass rush and he was put in a position to be setup for success and IMO KC really exposed the entire secondary/back end when they held up against that pass rush. I think he's largely a byproduct of the elite Front 4.

We'll see I guess.