Browns General Discussion

candyman93

52 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Demarvion Overshown or Owen Pappoe in R4 solves our LB issue. I really think they’re gonna move JOK to MIKE, which I don’t really like…but whatever. That allows Takitaki to play SAM in base. We need a WILL that can play with JOK on passing downs/nickel sets. Overshown & Pappoe are perfect fits for WLB. 

You think Pappoe lasts that long?  Dude destroyed the combine, one of the best set of athletic testing numbers I’ve seen from an off ball LB probably ever.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You think Pappoe lasts that long?  Dude destroyed the combine, one of the best set of athletic testing numbers I’ve seen from an off ball LB probably ever.

I keep seeing him fall that far...which is astounding to me. He's going to be a fantastic player. Was not overly productive in college, but was always executing his assignments. He is small, but you wouldn't know it. He absolutely kills ballcarriers, engages blocks with violence, and triggers downhill extremely fast. The dude is a stud...and then blew up the combine. I'd be fine with taking him in the 3rd.

Ideally, I would like to go:

2. Ojulari DE
3. BPA DL/WR/LB
4. Pappoe WLB
4. Abanikanda RB
5. BPA CB
5. BPA WR/DT/S
6. Luepke FB
7. BPA OL

9 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I keep seeing him fall that far...which is astounding to me. He's going to be a fantastic player. Was not overly productive in college, but was always executing his assignments. He is small, but you wouldn't know it. He absolutely kills ballcarriers, engages blocks with violence, and triggers downhill extremely fast. The dude is a stud...and then blew up the combine. I'd be fine with taking him in the 3rd.

yeah, the speed and jumping numbers were one thing, but paired with 29 reps at 230 or whatever was nuts.  Dude is a freak.

Ideally, I would like to go:

2. Ojulari DE
3. Mazi Smith IDL
4. Pappoe WLB
4. Jonathan Mingo WR

Something like this would make my jeans tight.

• Like 1

Guys I like the most per value in no particular order:

2nd:

Darnell Washington, TE UGA

Jack Campbell, LB Iowa

Luke Musgrave, TE Oregon State: I do have some reservations about injury history

Sam LaPorta, TE Iowa: He's on the "small" side, but he's close to Kincaid from Utah at TE

2nd/3rd:

Sydney Brown, S Illinois

Isaiah Foskey, DE Notre Dame: I don't get the lack of love or respect for him. Great production and testing with rock solid film

Zach Harrison, DE OSU

Kyu Blu Kelly, CB Stanford

B.J. Ojulari, EDGE LSU

Noah Sewell, LB Oregon: I don't care about his testing, he can diagnose and stick dudes. I love his game and value there

Luke Wypler, C OSU: Limited college experience/film, but what's there is solid

3rd Day:

Tucker Kraft, TE SDSU

Tyjae Spears, RB Tulane

Deuce Vaughn, RB Kansas State

Alex Palczewski , OT Illinois: 65 starts, 2nd team All American

Anfernee Orgi, LB Vanderbilt: Converted S, athletic and productive

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Isaiah Foskey, DE Notre Dame: I don't get the lack of love or respect for him. Great production and testing with rock solid film

This is a name I rarely see for some reason. He's not the most exciting athlete in the world, but the dude is very productive. One of the best guys on tape in the draft. I try to come up with reasons to not like him because his upside isn't as high as some of the other guys (Ojulari, FAU)...but his tape is fantastic. He's beaten 

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Noah Sewell, LB Oregon: I don't care about his testing, he can diagnose and stick dudes. I love his game and value there

Yeah Sewell is a monster. He is a bigger, faster, and stronger version of Denzel Perryman, who has been very good when healthy. I would run to the podium if he was available in the 3rd, especially if we added a DL with our 2nd rounder. Sewell plays with violence and hatred in his heart. Puts blockers on skates and understands how he fits to the run very well. Does he overrun things? Does he miss tackles playing 100 miles per hour? Yeah he does. But that aggression is what we lack. And I can live with missed tackles as long as you're coming forward and forcing the ballcarrier to go where he doesn't want to go. Most of his missed tackles are him flying over the top of blocks and whiffing on the outside hip...which forces the RB back inside, where the blocking scheme is not set up. That's a win for the defense.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Guys I like the most per value in no particular order:

2nd:

Darnell Washington, TE UGA

I can’t justify a TE in R2…. unless it’s Washington who I’m not sure I’d be able to pass on.

Jack Campbell, LB Iowa

He’s solid.

Sydney Brown, S Illinois

Love him. Great production paired with great athleticism.

Yep. 

Zach Harrison, DE OSU

I’m curious to see how he tests, but he just feels like a dude who’s gonna be in the league for a while.

B.J. Ojulari, EDGE LSU

Love his fit for us, he’s bendy as hell.  

Tyjae Spears, RB Tulane

A @KamTrus @theerealdeal favorite 

Deuce Vaughn, RB Kansas State

I get he’s productive and all, but I feel like every year there’s some half pint dude who was productive that people love who’s never heard from again.  This is the 2023 vintage.

big, experienced kid.  We need a developmental tackle imo.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Doug Dieken approves of this choice - although I wonder how badly he would butcher his name. LOL.

In all seriousness, if we get him in the 6th or 7th round - this is EXACTLY the kind of prospect we should draft then and begin to groom him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Demarvion Overshown or Owen Pappoe in R4 solves our LB issue. I really think they’re gonna move JOK to MIKE, which I don’t really like…but whatever. That allows Takitaki to play SAM in base. We need a WILL that can play with JOK on passing downs/nickel sets. Overshown & Pappoe are perfect fits for WLB. 

David Long played Mike for Schwartz at a similar size as JOK

Just now, Dawgpoun8017 said:

David Long played Mike for Schwartz at a similar size as JOK

This is exactly why I think we're destined to see JOK at MIKE. It seems like in Schwartz's scheme, we need freak speed there. JOK can be that guy. I'd much rather him play MIKE than WILL. At MIKE, he is pretty much scraping laterally on every play and can be schemed up to remain clean in a 4-3. At WILL, you're going to be eating blocks much more frequently because you're playing to the NT side primarily. This leaves the T open to crash down to you & leaves a tempting bubble between the G & T for the offense to run right through. JOK was terrible at WILL, where we insisted he play last year.

JOK is truly a SAM/STAR linebacker, but I do think he could play MIKE. It's just not what he's dominated doing. He was dominant at STAR at Notre Dame. I'd love to see him there, but I think with Takitaki coming back, he will be the SAM, while JOK really only would then make sense at MIKE. Neither Taki or JOK are WILLs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get he’s productive and all, but I feel like every year there’s some half pint dude who was productive that people love who’s never heard from again.  This is the 2023 vintage.

Yeah like I said, D3 guy who I think I had mocked to us in the 7th. 3rd RB type who you maybe take as a flier as a 3rd down back/out of the backfield guy who might stick. If not, oh well. 

https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=23230&ovl=Kansas+State

I wish he'd have run. Don't get me wrong, I'm not married to him and he screams "UDFA" to me, but I'd bring him in for a camp visit and see what he does. And I'd take a chance on him before I bring back Felton, who has 2 years of showing he can't stick at WR or RB here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I wish he'd have run. Don't get me wrong, I'm not married to him and he screams "UDFA" to me, but I'd bring him in for a camp visit and see what he does.

this is where these type of dudes land for me.  Not saying they couldn’t surprise and make noise in camp, but he’s too far of a physical outlier to burn draft capital on.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

And I'd take a chance on him before I bring back Felton, who has 2 years of showing he can't stick at WR or RB here.

Yeah I’m not really expecting Felton to make the team.  Maybe they like his “versatility”.  I put that in quotes because it’s just theoretical at this point.  I haven’t seen him actually show the ability to contribute at one position yet, let alone two.

This is exactly why I think we're destined to see JOK at MIKE. It seems like in Schwartz's scheme, we need freak speed there. JOK can be that guy. I'd much rather him play MIKE than WILL. At MIKE, he is pretty much scraping laterally on every play and can be schemed up to remain clean in a 4-3. At WILL, you're going to be eating blocks much more frequently because you're playing to the NT side primarily. This leaves the T open to crash down to you & leaves a tempting bubble between the G & T for the offense to run right through. JOK was terrible at WILL, where we insisted he play last year.

JOK is truly a SAM/STAR linebacker, but I do think he could play MIKE. It's just not what he's dominated doing. He was dominant at STAR at Notre Dame. I'd love to see him there, but I think with Takitaki coming back, he will be the SAM, while JOK really only would then make sense at MIKE. Neither Taki or JOK are WILLs.

What are your thoughts on Fields at WILL?  I thought he popped when given some reps late in the seaosn.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

this is where these type of dudes land for me.  Not saying they couldn’t surprise and make noise in camp, but he’s too far of a physical outlier to burn draft capital on.

Which is fair. I don't mind an occasional swing on an elite college talent who is a physical dumpster fire like a Scooby Wright. Once in a while you see it pan out ala Darren Sproles or Zach Thomas.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I’m not really expecting Felton to make the team.  Maybe they like his “versatility”.  I put that in quotes because it’s just theoretical at this point.  I haven’t seen him actually show the ability to contribute at one position yet, let alone two.

Sucking at both RB and WR shouldn't be considered versatile by our FO or Coaching Staff IMO. I think we're on the same page here, I just never understood the fascination with him going back to the draft.

• Like 1

From a value standpoint, there's a lot of value in the TE, CB, and C spots in this draft.

From a value meets need standpoint, there are some guys who can be had in the LB/situational EDGE spots R2-R3 in this class.

Aside from that, I really don't love this class. There are a few safeties that I like, but nobody I would deem "special", which is fine, just give me capable.

I don't love this EDGE class as a whole, and to be honest, the DT class as a whole. I also really don't like the WR in this class AT ALL outside of JSN and perhaps Addison, who I have some physical questions about.

Our biggest needs are DL, LB, S, and WR (in no particular order) with maybe a 2nd/3rd TE who has some ability to play the slot and/or an H/FB type hybrid.

I think it's a good draft to just keep trading and acquiring future picks and/or proven players to fill needs, or else just really go BPA to load up on CB depth, TEs, or some dudes sprinkled in on the lines on both sides.