Browns General Discussion

candyman93

On 4/28/2024 at 2:30 PM, candyman93 said:

Hurst is older, injury prone, cost more, and is redundant with Jefferson, Harris, and Hall.

I don't see an issue with loading up on one of the most valuable commodities on an elite defense. 

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@MSURacerDT55 what are your thoughts on Hall?

Aside from knowing the kid personally, I love the pick, it goes along with what we've been needing consistently on this defense for a while. To go a long with it, he has all of the tools to be really good, he has as explosive a first step as anyone in this class and really good technique. This is an A for me.

Edit: As we've stated before, interior pressure is one of the biggest commodities on a defense.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Aside from knowing the kid personally, I love the pick, it goes along with what we've been needing consistently on this defense for a while. To go a long with it, he has all of the tools to be really good, he has as explosive a first step as anyone in this class and really good technique. This is an A for me.

Edit: As we've stated before, interior pressure is one of the biggest commodities on a defense.

I personally love the room he is coming into, full of veteran leadership, Schwartz has always made D-linemen better, and Cesaire being a younger coach who’s been in the league I think will be able to tap into what the kid will need to do to unlock his bevy of impressive tools 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Final Watson trade fallout:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-trade-fallout-heres-the-final-haul-texans-got-from-browns-in-blockbuster-deal/amp/

A 2022 first-round pick (13th)

A 2022 fourth-round pick (104)

A 2023 first-round pick (12)

A 2023 third-round pick (73)

A 2024 first-round pick (23)

A 2024 fourth-round pick (123)

After tracking all of those picks down the line and accounting for what the Texans landed in subsequent trades, we were able to figure out the final return for Houston, now that all of Cleveland's requirements for the trade have been met. Here's how it all shakes out: 

The 2022 first (13) was traded to the Eaglesfor 15 (OL Kenyon Green), 124, 162, and 166

124 was subsequently traded to the Browns with 68 and 108 for 44 (WR John Metchie III)

162 was subsequently traded to the Broncoswith 80 for 75 (DL Christian Harris)

166 was subsequently traded to the Bearswith 207 for 150 (DL Thomas Booker)

The 2022 fourth (104) was used on RB Dameon Pierce

The 2023 first (12) was traded to the Cardinals with 33 and a 2024 1st (27) for 3 (DE Will Anderson Jr.) and 105

105 was subsequently traded to the Eagles for a 2024 3rd, which was used on DB Calen Bullock

The 2023 third (73) was traded to the Ramswith 161 for 69 (WR Tank Dell)

The 2024 1st (23) was traded to the Vikingswith 232 for 42 (DB Kamari Lassiter), 188 (LB Jamal Hill) and MIN's 2025 2nd

The 2024 fourth (123) was traded to the Eagles and then back to the Texans and used on TE Cade Stover

In case you're counting, that's (either directly or indirectly) Kenyon Green, John Metchie III, Christian Harris, Thomas Booker, Dameon Pierce, Will Anderson Jr., Calen Bullock, Tank Dell, Kamari Lassiter, Jamal Hill, Cade Stover, and a 2025 second-round pick courtesy of the Vikings to Houston, which sent Deshaun Watson and a draft pick that was used to acquire Jerry Jeudy to Cleveland, as well as picks No. 68, 80, 108, and 207 in the 2022 draft; 33 and 161 in the 2023 draft; and 27 and 232 in the 2024 draft to various teams around the league. 

These guys all still don’t account for the Watson salary/guys that could come/wont go due to leshaun’s cap number. 

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

These guys all still don’t account for the Watson salary/guys that could come/wont go due to leshaun’s cap number. 

Correct, strictly personnel, nothing more

On 5/1/2024 at 7:25 PM, candyman93 said:

I think next year the defense takes a step back statistically, but we’re better and more healthy as a unit.

I think we are more prepared to maintain the level of play late in the year with able bodied guys in our 2nd and 3rd units. I think we could have a lot of guys rotating in so that we can keep our first team guys fresher throughout the season which would be clutch for a playoff run.

On 5/3/2024 at 10:10 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

I think we are more prepared to maintain the level of play late in the year with able bodied guys in our 2nd and 3rd units. I think we could have a lot of guys rotating in so that we can keep our first team guys fresher throughout the season which would be clutch for a playoff run.

I hope year 2 with Schwartz allows for more complexity and such with the game plan because we definitely got out-schemed at times last year.  They’d better figure out motion specifically as it kicked our *** in at least 3 games I can remember.

On 4/29/2024 at 9:55 AM, brooks1957 said:

156 - Jamari Thrash - WR - Louisville

I admit, when his name was announced - I said "Who?" Then I looked at his tape. Wow. He has the capability to add a missing element to the passing game. He has the one thing you cannot coach into a player - God given speed. On his highlight tape I saw him split two defenders, catch a 20-25 yd slant - and in the blink of an eye he was in the end zone. I know that was college, this will be against grown men - but you gotta like that.

Former All Pro WR Steve Smith agrees.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/steve-smith-had-high-praise-for-browns-sixth-rounder-jamari-thrash

So I was completely unimpressed with this pick when we made it, but a little googling and I’m much more optimistic.  Apparently he played much of last season with a broken hand, which I’d have to imagine factored into the drops I’ve seen referenced.  Apparently ran a complete route tree prior to Louisville.  

im not expecting Stefan Diggs, but they aren’t dissimilar as prospects.

206 - Nathaniel "Bookie" Watson - LB - Mississippi State

How does a guy who led the SEC in tackles and QB sacks in one season get passed over 205 times? Yes, that's right - the SEC West. Where Alabama, LSU, Texas, and others reside....

I don't understanding the reasoning behind linebackers being so under valued in the NFL. Whatever.... Andrew Berry says "Thank you very much".

he’s a 24 year old, 6 year college player who can’t really cover, so his upside and versatility is pretty limited.

That said, it sounds like the plan is to plug him into Takitaki’s role as a Sam/mike who primarily will play run downs and ST.

I could honestly see him being the most productive rookie just based on his projected role and the opportunity he’ll have to see the field quickly.

243 - Jowon Briggs - DT - Cincinnati

Never heard of this cat either. But once I saw some highlights, I feel like I went to a football game and a wrestling match broke out.

Jowon "strong like bull". Probably a PS player - but there is promise.

dude is put together physically and can move well. I think he’s likely headed to the PS, but there’s a chance he’s something in a couple years imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Thrash for whatever reason, didn’t get to showcase his abilities at Louisville.

He did everything at Georgia State though.

How in the world UC hired Saterfield is beyond me, he was terrible at Louisville and left that program worse than when he took over.

22 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Thrash for whatever reason, didn’t get to showcase his abilities at Louisville.

He did everything at Georgia State though.

Like LGB said, I am sure his broken hand had a lot to do with his drops and/or the perceived lack of production at Louisville. Kinda like a sprinter trying to run the 100 yd dash on a broken fibula.

But, i do like your point, Candy, about his production at Georgia State. Dude gots the quicks. With a good preseason showing I think he pushes David Bell off the roster and to the PS. I see serious potential there.

With a good preseason as well, he will fire a shot across Ced Tillman's bow to get his stuff together quickly.