Browns General Discussion

candyman93

I wouldn’t be surprised if Harris got cut. They might want give one of the younger guys more playing time. He played well and had 4M guaranteed but I don’t think that would stop Berry from cutting him in favor of one of his beloved draft picks. 

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I think Hurst is fantastic when he plays. However, you have to look at it this way-

There are 3 guys who can do what he does. 

If you cut Ika, nobody can do what Tomlinson does.

I’m not sure we can say Ika can do what Tomlinson does though to be fair. 

You’re saying we don’t have another high end run stuffer, which is accurate, but Ika hasn’t shown any ability at all as of yet.  

His ability to stuff the run is a projection based on him being huge/fat.

• Like 1

Draft/UDFA Recap:

Overall, I was pleased with what happened this weekend. FINALLY - the Deshaun Watson "tariff" is behind us. We got our picks back....ALL of them. (Sorry - was channeling my inner Sonny Weaver).

54 - Mike Hall - DT - Ohio State/Streetsboro HS

At first, I wasn't a fan of this pick. I thought this was a BPA pick, and my feeling was LT was more of a need. More on that later.

Turns out, Mike Hall was a "need" pick. DT rotation prior to Friday was Tomlinson and Quinton Jefferson as starters, then a rotation of Mo Hurst, Shelby Harris, Siaki Ika, and a few JAGs.

The reality is the age of Tomlinson, Jefferson and Harris all start with a "3". Mo Hurst is 28. Harris and Hurst are on team friendly 1 year deals. Ika has potential, but is completely unproven at this point. It is not a stretch to think that we may need to retool that entire room in 2025.

Mike Hall brings with him the second highest pass rush win rate for DTs in CFB last season at 18.3%. That means: 18.3% of the snaps he took, he beat his man within 2.5 seconds to create havoc against the run or passing game in the offense's backfield.

That is considered elite. His 40 time was in the 99th percentile for DTs and his vertical jump was in the 84th.

But the Browns plan to use Mike anywhere along the defensive line, similar to Alex Wright - who took a major leap forward in the second half of last year.

85 - Zak Zinter - OG - Michigan

If we were going OT, this would have been the spot. But selecting Zinter was a home run pick.

Bitonio has been a pro's pro at LG. But he has more career behind him than in front of him. Teller is a man's man at RG - a stud. And he is paid like one. Therein lies the rub. His contract makes him a candidate for a trade in the near future. Michael Dunn has been good when called upon, but a quality youthful infusion of talent is welcome. Zinter also mentioned he is capable of slinding in to play center if need be. We all know how Andrew and Stefanski place a premium on versatility.

156 - Jamari Thrash - WR - Louisville

I admit, when his name was announced - I said "Who?" Then I looked at his tape. Wow. He has the capability to add a missing element to the passing game. He has the one thing you cannot coach into a player - God given speed. On his highlight tape I saw him split two defenders, catch a 20-25 yd slant - and in the blink of an eye he was in the end zone. I know that was college, this will be against grown men - but you gotta like that.

Former All Pro WR Steve Smith agrees.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/steve-smith-had-high-praise-for-browns-sixth-rounder-jamari-thrash

206 - Nathaniel "Bookie" Watson - LB - Mississippi State

How does a guy who led the SEC in tackles and QB sacks in one season get passed over 205 times? Yes, that's right - the SEC West. Where Alabama, LSU, Texas, and others reside....

I don't understanding the reasoning behind linebackers being so under valued in the NFL. Whatever.... Andrew Berry says "Thank you very much".

227 - Myles Harden - CB - South Dakota

I still don't know much about Myles, other than he was a 4 year starter and a team captain in 2023. He also was an FCS All American in 2023. I will defer to Andrew Berry's keen eye for identifying CB talent. His last two picks at that position have worked well - Martin Emerson and Cam Mitchell.

243 - Jowon Briggs - DT - Cincinnati

Never heard of this cat either. But once I saw some highlights, I feel like I went to a football game and a wrestling match broke out.

Jowon "strong like bull". Probably a PS player - but there is promise.

UDFAs -

The star of the class is RB Aidan Robbins. Can't wait to see him in camp. OG Javion Cohen was mocked to the Browns several times.

Signed a few OTs and a TE. Good luck all!

• Like 3

The other playerr that must be included in this draft is WR Jerry Jeudy. No, we did not draft him - but we surrendered a 5th and 6th round pick from this years draft for him.

That makes this weekend's haul even more impressive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brooks1957 said:

The other playerr that must be included in this draft is WR Jerry Jeudy. No, we did not draft him - but we surrendered a 5th and 6th round pick from this years draft for him.

I know folks will hate on the contract, but after seeing what was available day 3 this year the trade looks even better to me.  This was the first year maybe ever I honestly didn’t have any players I really liked after like R4/5.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Draft/UDFA Recap:

Overall, I was pleased with what happened this weekend. FINALLY - the Deshaun Watson "tariff" is behind us. We got our picks back....ALL of them. (Sorry - was channeling my inner Sonny Weaver).

54 - Mike Hall - DT - Ohio State/Streetsboro HS

At first, I wasn't a fan of this pick. I thought this was a BPA pick, and my feeling was LT was more of a need. More on that later.

Turns out, Mike Hall was a "need" pick. DT rotation prior to Friday was Tomlinson and Quinton Jefferson as starters, then a rotation of Mo Hurst, Shelby Harris, Siaki Ika, and a few JAGs.

The reality is the age of Tomlinson, Jefferson and Harris all start with a "3". Mo Hurst is 28. Harris and Hurst are on team friendly 1 year deals. Ika has potential, but is completely unproven at this point. It is not a stretch to think that we may need to retool that entire room in 2025.

Mike Hall brings with him the second highest pass rush win rate for DTs in CFB last season at 18.3%. That means: 18.3% of the snaps he took, he beat his man within 2.5 seconds to create havoc against the run or passing game in the offense's backfield.

That is considered elite. His 40 time was in the 99th percentile for DTs and his vertical jump was in the 84th.

But the Browns plan to use Mike anywhere along the defensive line, similar to Alex Wright - who took a major leap forward in the second half of last year.

85 - Zak Zinter - OG - Michigan

If we were going OT, this would have been the spot. But selecting Zinter was a home run pick.

Bitonio has been a pro's pro at LG. But he has more career behind him than in front of him. Teller is a man's man at RG - a stud. And he is paid like one. Therein lies the rub. His contract makes him a candidate for a trade in the near future. Michael Dunn has been good when called upon, but a quality youthful infusion of talent is welcome. Zinter also mentioned he is capable of slinding in to play center if need be. We all know how Andrew and Stefanski place a premium on versatility.

156 - Jamari Thrash - WR - Louisville

I admit, when his name was announced - I said "Who?" Then I looked at his tape. Wow. He has the capability to add a missing element to the passing game. He has the one thing you cannot coach into a player - God given speed. On his highlight tape I saw him split two defenders, catch a 20-25 yd slant - and in the blink of an eye he was in the end zone. I know that was college, this will be against grown men - but you gotta like that.

Former All Pro WR Steve Smith agrees.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/steve-smith-had-high-praise-for-browns-sixth-rounder-jamari-thrash

206 - Nathaniel "Bookie" Watson - LB - Mississippi State

How does a guy who led the SEC in tackles and QB sacks in one season get passed over 205 times? Yes, that's right - the SEC West. Where Alabama, LSU, Texas, and others reside....

I don't understanding the reasoning behind linebackers being so under valued in the NFL. Whatever.... Andrew Berry says "Thank you very much".

227 - Myles Harden - CB - South Dakota

I still don't know much about Myles, other than he was a 4 year starter and a team captain in 2023. He also was an FCS All American in 2023. I will defer to Andrew Berry's keen eye for identifying CB talent. His last two picks at that position have worked well - Martin Emerson and Cam Mitchell.

243 - Jowon Briggs - DT - Cincinnati

Never heard of this cat either. But once I saw some highlights, I feel like I went to a football game and a wrestling match broke out.

Jowon "strong like bull". Probably a PS player - but there is promise.

UDFAs -

The star of the class is RB Aidan Robbins. Can't wait to see him in camp. OG Javion Cohen was mocked to the Browns several times.

Signed a few OTs and a TE. Good luck all!

So are ready to predict that we can beat

Kc

Cincinnati

baltimore

in the playoffs next year 

yes or no

9 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Jeudy doesn't count because we also signed him to an extension so we paid draft picks to basically sign a guy. We'll see if it was worth it, it could be but he is getting paid unlike draft picks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I know folks will hate on the contract, but after seeing what was available day 3 this year the trade looks even better to me.  This was the first year maybe ever I honestly didn’t have any players I really liked after like R4/5.

The contract wouldn’t be so bad if the player didn’t suck. He’s not going to all of a sudden figure it out in his 5th year under a HC who can’t develop WRs. 

14 hours ago, mtmmike said:

So are ready to predict that we can beat

Kc

Cincinnati

baltimore

in the playoffs next year 

yes or no

KC - Yes - as long as Roger's henchmen don't get involved.

Cincy - Like a drum

Rats - Been there, done that. We ain't scurred....

Playoffs - Hell yes!

Final Watson trade fallout:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-trade-fallout-heres-the-final-haul-texans-got-from-browns-in-blockbuster-deal/amp/

A 2022 first-round pick (13th)

A 2022 fourth-round pick (104)

A 2023 first-round pick (12)

A 2023 third-round pick (73)

A 2024 first-round pick (23)

A 2024 fourth-round pick (123)

After tracking all of those picks down the line and accounting for what the Texans landed in subsequent trades, we were able to figure out the final return for Houston, now that all of Cleveland's requirements for the trade have been met. Here's how it all shakes out: 

The 2022 first (13) was traded to the Eaglesfor 15 (OL Kenyon Green), 124, 162, and 166

124 was subsequently traded to the Browns with 68 and 108 for 44 (WR John Metchie III)

162 was subsequently traded to the Broncoswith 80 for 75 (DL Christian Harris)

166 was subsequently traded to the Bearswith 207 for 150 (DL Thomas Booker)

The 2022 fourth (104) was used on RB Dameon Pierce

The 2023 first (12) was traded to the Cardinals with 33 and a 2024 1st (27) for 3 (DE Will Anderson Jr.) and 105

105 was subsequently traded to the Eagles for a 2024 3rd, which was used on DB Calen Bullock

The 2023 third (73) was traded to the Ramswith 161 for 69 (WR Tank Dell)

The 2024 1st (23) was traded to the Vikingswith 232 for 42 (DB Kamari Lassiter), 188 (LB Jamal Hill) and MIN's 2025 2nd

The 2024 fourth (123) was traded to the Eagles and then back to the Texans and used on TE Cade Stover

In case you're counting, that's (either directly or indirectly) Kenyon Green, John Metchie III, Christian Harris, Thomas Booker, Dameon Pierce, Will Anderson Jr., Calen Bullock, Tank Dell, Kamari Lassiter, Jamal Hill, Cade Stover, and a 2025 second-round pick courtesy of the Vikings to Houston, which sent Deshaun Watson and a draft pick that was used to acquire Jerry Jeudy to Cleveland, as well as picks No. 68, 80, 108, and 207 in the 2022 draft; 33 and 161 in the 2023 draft; and 27 and 232 in the 2024 draft to various teams around the league. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Final Watson trade fallout:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-trade-fallout-heres-the-final-haul-texans-got-from-browns-in-blockbuster-deal/amp/

A 2022 first-round pick (13th)

A 2022 fourth-round pick (104)

A 2023 first-round pick (12)

A 2023 third-round pick (73)

A 2024 first-round pick (23)

A 2024 fourth-round pick (123)

After tracking all of those picks down the line and accounting for what the Texans landed in subsequent trades, we were able to figure out the final return for Houston, now that all of Cleveland's requirements for the trade have been met. Here's how it all shakes out: 

The 2022 first (13) was traded to the Eaglesfor 15 (OL Kenyon Green), 124, 162, and 166

124 was subsequently traded to the Browns with 68 and 108 for 44 (WR John Metchie III)

162 was subsequently traded to the Broncoswith 80 for 75 (DL Christian Harris)

166 was subsequently traded to the Bearswith 207 for 150 (DL Thomas Booker)

The 2022 fourth (104) was used on RB Dameon Pierce

The 2023 first (12) was traded to the Cardinals with 33 and a 2024 1st (27) for 3 (DE Will Anderson Jr.) and 105

105 was subsequently traded to the Eagles for a 2024 3rd, which was used on DB Calen Bullock

The 2023 third (73) was traded to the Ramswith 161 for 69 (WR Tank Dell)

The 2024 1st (23) was traded to the Vikingswith 232 for 42 (DB Kamari Lassiter), 188 (LB Jamal Hill) and MIN's 2025 2nd

The 2024 fourth (123) was traded to the Eagles and then back to the Texans and used on TE Cade Stover

In case you're counting, that's (either directly or indirectly) Kenyon Green, John Metchie III, Christian Harris, Thomas Booker, Dameon Pierce, Will Anderson Jr., Calen Bullock, Tank Dell, Kamari Lassiter, Jamal Hill, Cade Stover, and a 2025 second-round pick courtesy of the Vikings to Houston, which sent Deshaun Watson and a draft pick that was used to acquire Jerry Jeudy to Cleveland, as well as picks No. 68, 80, 108, and 207 in the 2022 draft; 33 and 161 in the 2023 draft; and 27 and 232 in the 2024 draft to various teams around the league. 

Nice