Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

He wasn't incredible but I remember Dion Jones looking solid and unlike others he actually has a pedigree of being a Pro Bowl level player. Wouldn't mind seeing the Browns bring him back on a 1-2 year deal. 

Putting your eggs in the Takitaki/Walker/JOK basket again is having a toooon of faith in your DC to fix all the problems. I prefer to shake things up a bit and bring in some new energy. Like Tranquill :)

He signed with the Chiefs 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, realistically we weren’t gonna replace Clowney, improve at FS, revamp the DT position entirely and completely transform our linebackers by March 20.

We could very easily add a couple guys in April who make things very different.

I’m not asking to transform our Lbs. but add at least one starting Lb. I just have a hard time believing in Berry if he was able to watch the dog crap at LB last year and is satisfied with running that back.  

18 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m not asking to transform our Lbs. but add at least one starting Lb. I just have a hard time believing in Berry if he was able to watch the dog crap at LB last year and is satisfied with running that back.  

I guess it depends on where you think the issues are.  If you’re watching tape and seeing JJIII whiffing or being lazy and our scheme being a full man short on run fits like @MWil23 claims, then maybe you feel that with a more sound scheme and better DT play the guys you have are adequate.

And again, we still have like 8 picks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I guess it depends on where you think the issues are.  If you’re watching tape and seeing JJIII whiffing or being lazy and our scheme being a full man short on run fits like @MWil23 claims, then maybe you feel that with a more sound scheme and better DT play the guys you have are adequate.

We have really 3 picks that matter. I don’t think we’re getting a difference making LB this year in rounds 4-7

i like Schwartz and his scheme but that’s a lot of trust you have to have in a system that you can just run back what was already proven to be bad and just hope he can change it. And I get JJ3 sucked but it’s not like we replaced him with a pro bowler. Tornhill is pretty average. An upgrade over jj3 last year but I don’t think it’s enough to make up for the terrible LB play. 

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We have really 3 picks that matter. I don’t think we’re getting a difference making LB this year in rounds 4-7

well now you’re moving the goalpost.  First you said starter, now they have to be a difference maker?  Expecting a 4th round rookie to come in and play meh ball as an off ball LB isn’t a big ask, teams do it all the time.

Off ball linebackers and run stuffing DL with little pass rush upside can be found day 3.

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

i like Schwartz and his scheme but that’s a lot of trust you have to have in a system that you can just run back what was already proven to be bad and just hope he can change it. And I get JJ3 sucked but it’s not like we replaced him with a pro bowler. Tornhill is pretty average. An upgrade over jj3 last year but I don’t think it’s enough to make up for the terrible LB play. 

Not by himself, no.  Tomlinson will be the best DT we’ve had in a long time. I’m expecting organic growth from the 3 rookies on the DL from last season too. Hurst is a good player when he actually plays.  If he can stay healthy he’ll help. Hill has gobs of talent, not sure it’ll ever all get put together.

Im not expecting any huge improvements from any once player per se, but small improvements from returning players paired with some improved talent at some positions combined with a better scheme up front could give us a run defense that’s passable.  

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@BetterCallSaul knows I’m right! Full fit short on any +1 gap play. :) 

The alignment we had was bonkers…lining up a gap short it’s insane.

• Like 2

Just looking at FA linebackers, here are some of the mid tier guys that one could argue are solid starters but not stars.

Bobby Okereke: former 3rd rounder

Drue Tranquil: 4th rounder 

TJ Edwards: undrafted 

David Long: 6th round

Germaine Pratt: 3rd round 

Alex Singleton: undrafted 

Alex Anzalone: 3rd rounder 

like, these dudes are there to be had via the draft.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Hill has gobs of talent, not sure it’ll ever all get put together.

Im not expecting any huge improvements from any once player per se

Even with his inconsistencies I think Hill will make way more impactful plays than Bryant ever did in Brown and Orange.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The LB group is a revolving door of replaceable fringe starters outside of JOK. Problem is with the cap, their lack of high draft picks and the big FA signings being mostly over--I dont know how they add a immediate impactful player this year to the unit unless they plan on waiting for the overpaid veteran camp cut market.

I guess they could get crazy and sign Denzel Perryman to be a early down run stopper.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Demarvion Overshown or Owen Pappoe in R4 solves our LB issue. I really think they’re gonna move JOK to MIKE, which I don’t really like…but whatever. That allows Takitaki to play SAM in base. We need a WILL that can play with JOK on passing downs/nickel sets. Overshown & Pappoe are perfect fits for WLB. 

• Like 1