Browns General Discussion

candyman93

At the 4:30 mark, his sources in Cleveland said they feel like Kevin Stefanski is not the one who wanted to fire AVP and the reaction of the coaching staff was “shocked” and now “worried”. Albert Breer is saying the firing of Alex Van Pelt was more the Haslams and Paul DePodesta than the coaching staff

If True, with coaches like Vrabel and BB on the market next year, if the season is a flop, I wouldnt put it pass Haslam to firing Stef.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

At the 4:30 mark, his sources in Cleveland said they feel like Kevin Stefanski is not the one who wanted to fire AVP and the reaction of the coaching staff was “shocked” and now “worried”. Albert Breer is saying the firing of Alex Van Pelt was more the Haslams and Paul DePodesta than the coaching staff

If True, with coaches like Vrabel and BB on the market next year, if the season is a flop, I wouldnt put it pass Haslam to firing Stef.

I think its far more likely Kevin gets extended than fired

4 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

He was closer to terrible than good imo. Hey, I'm thankful that he came in off the street and played tackle for us. But he really was no better than his previous time in the league. We moved the ball in spite of him as much as because of him. Thanks Geron for your service. I hope you're not on the team next year.

Geron is fine as a backup OT. He was pretty good in pass pro, but atrocious in run blocking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I think its far more likely Kevin gets extended than fired

His and a lot of other jobs depend on Watson. Assuming the defense is great again next year it should be fine. If it falters a bit and the offense has to win games then it will depend on Watson and how he and the team does on offense. Everyone knew that when we went all in for Watson though.

24 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

His and a lot of other jobs depend on Watson. Assuming the defense is great again next year it should be fine. If it falters a bit and the offense has to win games then it will depend on Watson and how he and the team does on offense. Everyone knew that when we went all in for Watson though.

True but in his 4 seasons as the coach of this team he has won COTY once and is in the running for his second, the locker room respects him evidence being how hard they played for him this season having no business being in the spot we were in. I stand by my statement that he is far more likely to get an extension than a pink slip 

26 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

True but in his 4 seasons as the coach of this team he has won COTY once and is in the running for his second, the locker room respects him evidence being how hard they played for him this season having no business being in the spot we were in. I stand by my statement that he is far more likely to get an extension than a pink slip 

I think a COTY winner was fired not that long ago. Can't remember who, like 7 or 8 years ago but yeah, he was at no threat to be fired this year. There were a lot of injuries but honestly the only big one was Chubb. The OT situation wasn't great to begin with, didn't see a huge dropoff. Same with Watson to Flacco, the DTR/Walker games were bad but that got fixed with a roster move, although it could have come a bit sooner (more of a front office thing).

We still were a good roster though, it wasn't like some Browns teams of the past where you couldn't withstand any starter injuries but he still won more games than expected.

It isn't like that means job security in this era. 3 straight years of being towards the bottom of the league at QB. This year being the worst (31st in rating, 21st in 22 and 26th in 21). Eventually that is going to have to get fixed with what we invested.

I wouldn't be shocked that if we went 8-9 next season that everyone gets fired. Maybe we advance further in the playoffs and he gets extended. It's really a crapshoot.

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

If we had a competent owner then I'd agree. But we don't, so you never know what may happen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

Idk man, there hasn’t been many leaks out of Cleveland over the last few years.  Seems more like grasping as straws than anything tbh.  

I just don’t believe ownership is likely that dialed in to what position coaches are doing.

42 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Idk man, there hasn’t been many leaks out of Cleveland over the last few years.  Seems more like grasping as straws than anything tbh.  

I just don’t believe ownership is likely that dialed in to what position coaches are doing.

You don’t believe Jimmy haslam would meddle in decisions?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

You don’t believe Jimmy haslam would meddle in decisions?

Sure, I also believe everyone else know he would to and it makes it an easy projection.

Like, I think he would (and did) meddle in the acquisition of a star QB. Do I think he’d override the coaches and front office on whether or not to keep what amounts to a QB coach (since he didn’t call plays)?  Idk man.

Anything is possible but no one was clamoring for really any coaching moves to be made.  This team was well coached by all accounts last season.  

I guess my point is I’m more inclined to believe this is manufactured media nonsense than the owner pulling rank over Stefanski regarding a position coach with no known issues or red flags.

10 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think a COTY winner was fired not that long ago. Can't remember who, like 7 or 8 years ago but yeah, he was at no threat to be fired this year. There were a lot of injuries but honestly the only big one was Chubb. The OT situation wasn't great to begin with, didn't see a huge dropoff. Same with Watson to Flacco, the DTR/Walker games were bad but that got fixed with a roster move, although it could have come a bit sooner (more of a front office thing).

I disagree with most of this, my good man.

The OT situation was absolutely an issue throughout the year. Jed isn't a world beater, but he's WAY better than Geron Christian. Conklin is all-Pro level when healthy. Dawand was a step down from that, and Hudson was a large step down from Dawand. We would've been a much more potent offense with 1st string (or even 2nd string) OT's.

Not a huge drop-off from Watson to Flacco. Hmm... I know many will agree with you, but I do not. Flacco will always have a fond place in my heart for what he came in and gave us. But if I'm being objective, he was still a big drop-off from Watson. Joe Cool was a turnover machine, and that's simply not sustainable.

I agree that Chubb was a huge loss.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I disagree with most of this, my good man.

The OT situation was absolutely an issue throughout the year. Jed isn't a world beater, but he's WAY better than Geron Christian.

Absolutely.  Seemed to be a notably better run blocker and probably a better pass blocker too, even if that’s pretty close tbh. Christian seemed to provide absolutely nothing in the run game.  

Conklin is all-Pro level when healthy. Dawand was a step down from that, and Hudson was a large step down from Dawand. We would've been a much more potent offense with 1st string (or even 2nd string) OT's.

Truth be told Dawand showed more as a pass blocker than Conklin but like Christian doesn’t provide the same juice in the run game.

Hudson isn’t a tackle imo.  Maybe someday, but not yet.  His pass pro just isn’t up to league standard and he’s a penalty machine.

Not a huge drop-off from Watson to Flacco. Hmm... I know many will agree with you, but I do not. 

I think the level of play Watson is capable of far exceeds Flacco tbh. We saw glimpses of it in the second half against the Ravens.  He’s a guy who can go toe to toe with top defenses. 

Flacco will always have a fond place in my heart for what he came in and gave us. But if I'm being objective, he was still a big drop-off from Watson. Joe Cool was a turnover machine, and that's simply not sustainable.

He was 100% yolo’ing things (as he should have) and things ended as most of us expected they would.  Did we think it was gonna happen against the Texans?  Perhaps not, but we knew it would likely happen eventually.  

I agree that Chubb was a huge loss.

Undeniable.

I'm not going to pretend like I did film study on the OTs, I just didn't notice much of a dropoff. Watson was sacked 17 times in 5 full starts, Flacco 8 times in 5 full starts. That could be more of a QB thing.

As far as the run game, Chubb averages about 4 yards per carry after contact. No way the run game wasn't going to take a hit. Ford still averaged 4 ypc though so either he is really good or the run blocking did okay.

Sure, it wasn't ideal but I honestly don't think we're much worse with Conklin/Wills gone. That said, I think they will be back I just don't think it offers some kind of boost to our offense.

Watson obviously has more potential than Flacco, I'm just talking about what happened.

I think Stefanski wants to run an offense similar to Cincinnati’s and I’ve felt that way for awhile.

I think that style of play is analytically friendly and easier to have consistent success with. They don’t turn the ball over and they don’t commit penalties.

We need more explosive WRs because we’re simply just not close to being able to pull that off.