Browns General Discussion

candyman93

26 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I actually think this is an over exaggeration of our salary cap situation.

We aren't kicking the can down the road as much as we are wisely spending on a 0% interest credit card when we know money will be worth less in a few years.

We are not spending more than we have or will have, we are just continuously spending a lower percentage of the cap than everyone else because we are spending on future cap not this years cap.

If Berry and Depodesta left and someone else took over, we would be in cap hell because I don't think they would understand how to work like this, but because Haslem is willing to spend more cash today (which is a huge component of being able to do this) we have the advantage of being able to spend more than other teams.

I don’t understand the in’s and out’s. I guess I think we could do the Saints thing for a while, but at some point, our studs are gonna be aged out anyways. 

2 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don’t understand the in’s and out’s. I guess I think we could do the Saints thing for a while, but at some point, our studs are gonna be aged out anyways. 

The good news is we aren't doing what the saints are doing.

Every year the saints have no money so they push contracts down the road so they can do things now.

We on the other hand are pushing contracts down the road much earlier than that, using rollover money to get cap space and have flexibility, and using future cap space to pay for contracts this year.

The good news is the thing we are not doing is over-spending this year so we can continue to have this flexibility.

This is actually a sustainable way of working the salary cap, the issue is it will make some people mad because we will go into the season with cap space and not use it.

We are getting to the point is salary where we are going to be replacing contracts more than adding new contracts, so if we re-sign someone like JOK, i expect contracts to start coming off the books to do so, such as Wyatt Teller.

23 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

The good news is we aren't doing what the saints are doing.

Every year the saints have no money so they push contracts down the road so they can do things now.

We on the other hand are pushing contracts down the road much earlier than that, using rollover money to get cap space and have flexibility, and using future cap space to pay for contracts this year.

The good news is the thing we are not doing is over-spending this year so we can continue to have this flexibility.

This is actually a sustainable way of working the salary cap, the issue is it will make some people mad because we will go into the season with cap space and not use it.

We are getting to the point is salary where we are going to be replacing contracts more than adding new contracts, so if we re-sign someone like JOK, i expect contracts to start coming off the books to do so, such as Wyatt Teller.

cEi9fa.gif

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, buno67 said:

only if it leads to success on the field...

Well obviously that is the hope and end goal.

I feel we have made pretty huge strides under this front office since being the worst team in the NFL in 2018, to making the playoffs twice in the last 4 seasons going 37-30 in that stretch.

The biggest question mark of this front office coaching staff will inevitably be Deshaun Watson.  Not just was that trade worth it but can we survive it if it was not.

Overall drafting and free agent signings and cap management I have been very happy with Berry.

Despite not having first and second round draft picks, we have still found starters and value players in the draft as well as trading assets for valuable players for the organization.

Keep in mind we haven't just gotten a starting FS (Delpit), starting CB (Emmerson), starting OT (Jones), starting LB (JOK), in the second round and later, but we have made trades for starters too such as Elijah Moore, Amari Cooper, and ZaDarius Smith.  

I do think this is how a successful front office operates.  I just hope because of the Watson trade we aren't going to blow everything up to be bad again for decades.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Well obviously that is the hope and end goal.

I feel we have made pretty huge strides under this front office since being the worst team in the NFL in 2018, to making the playoffs twice in the last 4 seasons going 37-30 in that stretch.

The biggest question mark of this front office coaching staff will inevitably be Deshaun Watson.  Not just was that trade worth it but can we survive it if it was not.

Overall drafting and free agent signings and cap management I have been very happy with Berry.

Despite not having first and second round draft picks, we have still found starters and value players in the draft as well as trading assets for valuable players for the organization.

Keep in mind we haven't just gotten a starting FS (Delpit), starting CB (Emmerson), starting OT (Jones), starting LB (JOK), in the second round and later, but we have made trades for starters too such as Elijah Moore, Amari Cooper, and ZaDarius Smith.  

I do think this is how a successful front office operates.  I just hope because of the Watson trade we aren't going to blow everything up to be bad again for decades.

This is also the last draft with no first round pick as well

2 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

This is also the last draft with no first round pick as well

Oh how long I've waited.

The draft has been my Christmas as long as I can remember.

But Christmas hasn't been as fun without that big present under the tree,

I'm excited to be back picking in the first round.

I'm just hoping for a pick in the 30's....

• Like 3

I can't imagine him coming back honestly 

Someone is going to give him a chance to play and give him more money 

I'll be absolutely surprised if he comes back 

unless him and deshaun gonna have a QB battle, but I doubt that'd happen

28 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I can't imagine him coming back honestly 

Someone is going to give him a chance to play and give him more money 

I'll be absolutely surprised if he comes back 

unless him and deshaun gonna have a QB battle, but I doubt that'd happen

I don’t think anyone is giving him a starting job right now. Not with Russell Wilson and baker on the market plus the QBs in the draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I don’t think anyone is giving him a starting job right now. Not with Russell Wilson and baker on the market plus the QBs in the draft. 

He also doesn’t need money or whatever, if he finds a spot he likes and his family likes why not?  

Id rather be a reasonably well paid backup QB on a talented team that has a chance to win something than go out at nearly 40 and try to make a crap team less crappy.

Flacco isn’t really a bridge guy either.  He’s gonna yolo every game and you hope he doesn’t throw too many bad ones to the other team.  He’s a spot starter/backup at this point imo.  

ATL is the one team I think he could do something with for a full season, mostly because of the weapons and division.

• Like 1