Dr. Fauci: Football season will be hard to pull off unless players are in a bubble

49ersfan

Should the NFL play its season in a "bubble" zone?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL play its season in a "bubble" zone?

• Yes
    • No - play the season as normal
    • No - Cancel the 2020 season

Just now, JDBrocks said:

Holy cow - you mean that they didn't know everything about the disease right away? That's wild...

That would be fine if what they said was, “We don’t know everything about this disease yet.” Which is a big difference from “You can’t catch this from people and don’t wear masks.”

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

That would be fine if what they said was, “We don’t know everything about this disease yet.” Which is a big difference from “You can’t catch this from people and don’t wear masks.”

yeah, sure. That's exactly the point you are making.

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

yeah, sure. That's exactly the point you are making.

I wasn’t really making a point. I was more just going where the conversation went naturally. But if there needs to be a point then here it is. If you’re that afraid of Covid then stay home and only come out with your mask to get food and go to work and let everyone else get back to enjoying their life because everything other than a complete lockdown is just a half measure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

May not as in it may not happen not you may not do it. Context matter, so you are right, you shouldnt argue over one word because that makes no sense.

https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/english-grammar-reference/may-and-might

for your learning pleasure. Fauci is using the first example here. 

Also, check the level 

Its a serious subject and these threads keep getting locked because people can’t be civil.

Please don’t attack people.  @DontTazeMeBro is allowed his opinions and I would like to hear what people think.  

3 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I wasn’t really making a point. I was more just going where the conversation went naturally. But if there needs to be a point then here it is. If you’re that afraid of Covid then stay home and only come out with your mask to get food and go to work and let everyone else get back to enjoying their life because everything other than a complete lockdown is just a half measure.

no. this is factually incorrect. 

Just now, dll2000 said:

Its a serious subject and these threads keep getting locked because people can’t be civil.

Please don’t attack people.  @DontTazeMeBro is allowed his opinions and I would like to hear what people think.  

I am seriously sick of heckler’s veto. 

Its like one side is presented.  Someone disagrees and then discussion gets shut down.  

That is not how it is supposed to work.  

• Like 1

Just now, dll2000 said:

I am seriously sick of heckler’s veto. 

Its like one side is presented.  Someone disagrees and then discussion gets shut down.  

That is not how it is supposed to work.  

You're right. If this were a real debate, both sides would be able to back up their positions. That isn't what's happening here.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

everything other than a complete lockdown is just a half measure.

I actually agree with this. New Zealand put in strick policies that were adhered to and they are now COVID-19 free. This is obviously the goal, not sure why it hasnt been adopted with the success they had. Their measures went into effect around the same time as the US and we are seeing increases right now. Granted the population and geographic area is smaller and therefore it would take more time in the US. The major hurdle here is that individual states are affording a level of autonomy when dealing with the pandemic. Usually I am all for that, but in this case, no matter how strict one governor might be, if their neighbor is lax it wont do much good because of the state to state movement. So while the model has a proof of concept in New Zealand, implementing it here could be problematic given our government structure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Not what I said. But the World Health Organization said this thing couldn’t be transmitted human-to-human. And even the beloved Dr. Fauci told people they didn’t need to wear masks at one point. So just blindly believing anyone who is considered an “expert” doesn’t seem to be a good idea either.

It’s new disease....

This is what is wrong with modern American culture. They look for definitive perfection and people who don’t change when new information comes and discredit people who have to pivot because new information becomes available and perfection doesn’t exist. 

Who are you going to take more seriously? A politician who probably never passes a high level science class or the most well regarded person in the field on this subject? 

You should be glad he’s not taking new data and saying “well I already told them this, so I’ll just double down anyways” like certain people in government 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Not sure where you got the idea it was an attack. Considering it was semantics about grammar.

Alright I unfortunately did my part to derail this thread. Back to topic on hand, I personally think they need to make workable masks and face shields a thing for all NFL personnel and players. It’s the first step in slowing this spread and is a good half measure. Now how to do it during not ideal situations like heat and rain is the question. It’s uncomfortable to wear when environmental conditions are ideal. Can’t imagine what it would be if you were 300+ pounds during 90 degree weather.

Edited by Xenos

11 minutes ago, lancerman said:

It’s new disease....

This is what is wrong with modern American culture. They look for definitive perfection and people who don’t change when new information comes and discredit people who have to pivot because new information becomes available and perfection doesn’t exist. 

Who are you going to take more seriously? A politician who probably never passes a high level science class or the most well regarded person in the field on this subject? 

You should be glad he’s not taking new data and saying “well I already told them this, so I’ll just double down anyways” like certain people in government 

The problem is that they more than likely didn’t just get it wrong. They lied. Fauci, and I’ll be fair but other people too, to keep the masks available for healthcare workers. And WHO for more sinister reasons that I’m going to assume are off limits discussion wise.

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

The goal is to slow the spread as much as possible. Masks are one way to slow the spread according to many reputable studies. The issue with your mindset is if everyone goes about their daily life without a mask the virus will spread exponentially effecting more than just you. The proof is shown all around the world where the virus has spread (Italy, NYC, Spain, recently Arizona & Florida). When an outbreak occurs and nothing is done to slow the snowball effect hospitals get overwhelmed. The hospital I work at had to move 4-5 ICUs to make room for the COVID+ critical care population, and that's with us locking-down earlier than most places. Elective surgeries get cancelled, and hospitals enter the 'red zone' financially. Governors then are faced with the reality they may have to revert back a phase causing local businesses to suffer. 

If you're in favor of doing as much as you can to help out your local businesses and keep your community safe, then put on a mask when you can't socially distance. It's not a half *** measure. It's very easy option that everyone in the country can partake in, and have a possibly huge impact on slowing the spread and saving lives and the economy. Compare it to carrying and M16 in war. Of course, that one M16 in your hands won't make much of a difference, but if you're entire community is strapped, then you're much more prepared if invaded by some commie bastards AKA COVID-19.

So, while many people want to enjoy their lives as it was before, it's not possible. The virus is still here. We're in a ******* war, and we have to be strong and unified. Every one of our actions effects the rest of the community, so I ask you to have the awareness to make moves wisely. Life is different for now, and there's absolutely no way of ignoring this pandemic and pretending it isn't here. Ignorance is comforting, but it's a weak *** defense against this nasty little booger. It's time many people wake up from this fair tale that everything is fine, and deal with the harsh reality. It's tough, but **** it- we're tough. Every damn one of us has been through tough times in life and are still here to talk about it. Well, we're in another tough time, and once again we will persevere. Unfortunately some of us won't make it, but I'll at least be able to say I did every f***ing thing in my power to turn the tides of this war. I hope you'll reconsider, and have the same mindset. You're a warrior. A fellow comrade. We're in this platoon together. So let's curb stomp this crummy son of b**** together. 

And just note- soldiers and civilians would've loved their lives  go back to normal during WWII, but they couldn't. They had to be resilient. We need that same mindset today.

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

The problem is that they more than likely didn’t just get it wrong. They lied. Fauci, and I’ll be fair but other people too, to keep the masks available for healthcare workers. And WHO for more sinister reasons that I’m going to assume are off limits discussion wise.

They didn’t lie about masks. They were right that the only ones that could protect you were the N95 ones, which should have been reserved for essential healthcare workers. Their problem was that they were only looking it at that angle and it was only after new data surfaced, that regular cloth masks could work if everyone wears one. Me wearing a mask for example does absolutely nothing to protect me. Just everyone else.