What would you trade for Adams?

dll2000

30 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Time for FO personnel to earn their $$..

I think it obviously impacts the draft - just not in a way that devalues draft picks. In theory, this should serve to benefit good scouting departments who tend to operate/think a step ahead of the competition...comparatively speaking. A lot of teams are going to find incredible value in guys who might not yet have the statistical production or haven't yet had their stock juiced around the league. It goes both ways, but ultimately, I think there's an opportunity for great GMs to take advantage of.

I'll concede that a well prepared and "traditionally efficient" FO will do well in this space - heck, they could make a killing, actually. 

If you were to ask me how many "traditionally efficient" FOs there are in the NFL, I'd struggle to find five. I know Baltimore is, I know San Francisco is. New Orleans is, absolutely - probably #1 recently speaking. Kansas City, perhaps. Dallas, maybe? So... five total?

So, I guess the value is directly tied to how well an FO has identified talent in the first place. If you're looking at New Orleans (who finds about three high level contributors every draft) these picks are gold. Someone like Jacksonville, these picks are further devalued because they have a difficult time even WITH a full scouting season to rely on.

(IB4 "[insert my team here] shoud be on that list..." If I didn't list a team, there's a reason).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'll concede that a well prepared and "traditionally efficient" FO will do well in this space - heck, they could make a killing, actually. 

If you were to ask me how many "traditionally efficient" FOs there are in the NFL, I'd struggle to find five. I know Baltimore is, I know San Francisco is. New Orleans is, absolutely - probably #1 recently speaking. Kansas City, perhaps. Dallas, maybe? So... five total?

So, I guess the value is directly tied to how well an FO has identified talent in the first place. If you're looking at New Orleans (who finds about three high level contributors every draft) these picks are gold. Someone like Jacksonville, these picks are further devalued because they have a difficult time even WITH a full scouting season to rely on.

(IB4 "[insert my team here] shoud be on that list..." If I didn't list a team, there's a reason).

Yeah totally agree. I think we'll see a few teams really separate themselves relating to next years draft. From the Jets perspective (Where this conversation started), if you're Joe Douglas, you have to have the confidence to think you'll be one of those teams. Whether or not it happens, who knows.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Yeah totally agree. I think we'll see a few teams really separate themselves relating to next years draft. From the Jets perspective (Where this conversation started), if you're Joe Douglas, you have to have the confidence to think you'll be one of those teams. Whether or not it happens, who knows.

Yeah, Douglas is an unknown in this respect - not good or bad, not enough to judge him. 

I guess you gotta trust your scouting philosophy.

6 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You literally don’t know that, it’s all speculation. There will be plenty of prospects with 2 or 3 years of film they can evaluate. 

It’s common sense. The less film you have on a player, the riskier the evaluation. That ain’t speculation. Not to mention, in drafts underclassmen are typically the top prospects. For those who were gonna be seniors, yeah you’re probably right but for underclassman you’re wrong. Like @ET80 said, the way players move up/down draft rankings throughout the season is volatile. Matt Barkley went from a perceived surefire first rounder to a 4th rounder within the space of a year. Burrows. Bradley Roby, Vernon Hargreaves were guys who were loved as sophomores then after their junior seasons people didn’t rate them as highly. It’s naive and ignorant to think that there’s isn’t much more risk involved here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

The Colts aren't my team, but I'd but their front office on there, for sure. They've gotten a complete draft every year since Ballard took over. 

On 8/14/2020 at 3:36 AM, KingOfNewYork said:

Its an excuse. The lack of college football wont hurt the draft.

Think about the 1st overall pic. Now think about where he was after his junior year, the difference is night and day. To quote the post "One scout said Burrow entered the season as a likely third- or fourth-round pick, the kind of choice a franchise hopes would yield a stalwart backup. Pro Football Focus’s preseason draft guide included 10 quarterbacks, and Burrow was not among them. Yet, his senior year brought him the #1 overall pic. A players senior year is huge...how can you not see this? Let's also remember that some of these players played their last game in Dec-Jan depending on a bowl game or not. That means they will play their next game in Sept of next year. When you look at the large gap between college and pros, how could this not be an issue? 

Edited by tab420
  • Like 1