What would you trade for Adams?

dll2000

6 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

But the caveat that makes him worth additional value is the first part of your statement, Young ascending talent. You’re not getting him at a “cheap contract” Which is the quandary of his actual value. But in the draft you have probably (Just conjecture) a 5-10% chance of landing an All Pro talent in the first round. With Adams you suddenly increase those chances up to 100%; that surety over the quality of talent you’re receiving is certainly worth additional compensation.

Like you, I definitely don’t subscribe to that additional compensation reaching up to a 1st round pick because of the contract you will also have to provide and the hit rate on a first round safety being something like 40-50%... of which I’d rather bank on my teams drafting ability than to overpay twice (for the contract and for the trade value). But if we drop down to the late second round those hit rates begin to drop to a level where I would consider it; but if were only talking a third round pick and I definitely think I’ll take a 100% all pro over a 15% hit rate in finding a productive player.

Don't agree with this - free agent signings bust. You get a much better chance than the draft but some don't work out - its not guaranteed he is all-pro with his new team.

If I am going to give a free agent a big contract, I would much rather do so to a young guy like Adams than an older guy but that's basically what you are doing - you are giving up draft picks for basically the right to make a huge free agency signing. I do sort of get your logic with a 3rd round pick as there is a big drop by the 3rd. I just think that unless you are getting a discount on the contract in some way, the trade in itself doesn't have any value so I wouldn't offer more than a late rounder.

Anyway looks like Seattle disagree.  That's one heck of a package.

59 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Mack was a FA though right? I get what you're saying but aren't there 2 years of control on Adams too?

No, Mack was holding out.  

Plus, the Bears had a ready agreement with Mack to go along with the trade.  Hawks reportedly have no agreement with Adams which is insane if true.  Since they absolutely have to sign him after they traded a kings ransom for him and if no deal is in place Adams can ask for the moon.  If he walked at end of his contract or held out on a franchise tag?  Can you imagine?  That would be serious egg on your face.

My guess is they have a handshake deal in place with some if/then's they already discussed. 

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Plus, the Bears had a ready agreement with Mack to go along with the trade.  Hawks reportedly have no agreement with Adams which is insane if true.  Since they absolutely have to sign him after they traded a kings ransom for him and if no deal is in place Adams can ask for the moon.  If he walked at end of his contract or held out on a franchise tag?  Can you imagine?  That would be serious egg on your face.

My guess is they have a handshake deal in place with some if/then's they already discussed. 

Didnt the same thing happen when Jalen Ramsey got traded though? He didnt sign an extension either and has less time with the Rams than the Seahawks have with Adams to make a deal

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Didnt the same thing happen when Jalen Ramsey got traded though? He didnt sign an extension either and has less time with the Rams than the Seahawks have with Adams to make a deal

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jalen-ramsey-reportedly-promises-rams-he-wont-hold-out-in-2020-if-contract-doesnt-land-quickly/

All I know is if you make those trades and don't sign the player you will have a lot of egg on your face.   And if you don't have a deal in place you have given a lot of leverage to the player knowing you made that trade.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Report I saw today said Seattle does not plan on extending Adams yet due to cap uncertainty. 

I guess this means they are taking him up on the no extension needed tweet he made.

That will be interesting.

3 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Report I saw today said Seattle does not plan on extending Adams yet due to cap uncertainty. 

I guess this means they are taking him up on the no extension needed tweet he made.

That will be interesting.

If Ramsey and Adams don't get signed eventually they will be two expensive rentals.  Those are job defining moves.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Seattle usually pics 23-27 (ish) so if that keeps up those pics lose lots of value. Also, with most college teams not playing this year, the draft will be a $hit show. Next years 1st (especially if it's late round) won't be worth much.

On 8/11/2020 at 12:59 AM, tab420 said:

Well Seattle usually pics 23-27 (ish) so if that keeps up those pics lose lots of value. Also, with most college teams not playing this year, the draft will be a $hit show. Next years 1st (especially if it's late round) won't be worth much.

A first round pick not being worth nothing? The league MVP went 32nd overall lol. 

14 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

A first round pick not being worth nothing? The league MVP went 32nd overall lol. 

Really? Did they also not have college football that year before the draft? I think you missed my point. The next couple of drafts could be very altered by the lack of college teams playing this year. Think about if we used Joe Burrow's junior numbers compared to his seniors. Seattle's GM mentioned this prior to the Adams trade.

• Like 1