Most intriguing position or roster battles

dll2000

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

IF we do have a season, then expect the same Foles.

Sale old... Folesing? Foles feeling? Ugh.

It's worse for me, my most lasting impression of Foles is still him torching the Bears for like 18 TDS in a game with chip Kelly. I took one look at that game and just knew Kelly was going to be in the league for a long time.

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I shake my head every time I hear this lame excuse.  

On the contrary, if Hanie starts the game instead of Cutler then we atleast have a much better chance of winning that game.

Cutler was terrible.  The offense was downright terrible with him under center in the SB.  

--Not stepping up into the pocket and taking unnecessarily hits and pressures.
--Doing his usual throwing off of his back foot.
--Threw a pick right after the defense forced a Rodgers INT at the 50ish and nearly threw 2 more.
--Constantly overthrowing Hester(3x) and Knox once, including one that should've went for six and another that would've put us on the 5 at the least, and both drives ended in punts. 

The only semblance of an offense that we had seen all game didn't come until Hanie took over.  He had two awful decisions that led to the pick 6 and the game clinching INT.  But he led the offense downfield to put up the first points on the board,  made some nice tight window throws under pressure,  and led the offense downfield on a much needed quick scoring drive to give them a chance. 

Hanie's performance exposed Cutler's weakness. 

Relax, dude. Not everything has to be "lame" and argued. It's simply an opinion that will never be able to proven either way, hence the "hill that I'll die on" thing. There was something different about that stadium that day. Cutler came off of a great first playoff game. Did he struggle in the first half? Yes, but some of that was with a bad knee. Maybe Rodgers rams it up their *** like always at the end despite a good performance. Maybe Cutler comes out and plays lights out and they hammer the Packers. Maybe he plays like he did in the first half and they still lose. Who knows? It's just an opinion. I was always a big Cutler fan anyhow so my opinion is biased. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I'm intrigued by Mooney as well.  I'm hoping he takes the spot of... whoever that fast old veteran is whose name I can never remember. 

Ted Ginn but I think Buster Skrine is about an equal to Ginn as far as old, veteran, shouldn’t be a starter but is. 

Well looks like its 99% chance our position battles, particularly QB battle, will be held without preseason games.

Great year to choose to have a QB competition.  

I don’t believe for a minute that a great motivation for NFLPA position on cancelling preseason and limiting offseason is to keep positional jobs safe from younger, cheaper players.

I don’t blame them really.  Millions of dollars at stake for them personally and teams always looking to get younger and cheaper.  

Like college football, first games will be extra sloppy.   

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Well looks like its 99% chance our position battles, particularly QB battle, will be held without preseason games.

Great year to choose to have a QB competition.  

I don’t believe for a minute that a great motivation for NFLPA position on cancelling preseason and limiting offseason is to keep positional jobs safe from younger, cheaper players.

I don’t blame them really.  Millions of dollars at stake for them personally and teams always looking to get younger and cheaper.  

Like college football, first games will be extra sloppy.   

On one hand having our defense and ST mostly the same means the Bears should be in a decent spot to keep scores low and be effective.  On offense though, does this benefit Trubisky or Foles?  I think Trubisky, as while he's bad, at least it's a bad they're used to.  I shudder to think about what it would look like putting a new QB, TE, RG out there together with no familiarity. 

28 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

On one hand having our defense and ST mostly the same means the Bears should be in a decent spot to keep scores low and be effective.  On offense though, does this benefit Trubisky or Foles?  I think Trubisky, as while he's bad, at least it's a bad they're used to.  I shudder to think about what it would look like putting a new QB, TE, RG out there together with no familiarity. 

I think Nagy and staff has a favorite in mind right now and whoever that is will be the guy.  I think they were open to having their mind changed throughout preseason and camp, but I don't see how the non-favorite gets that done now.

Honestly not sure if their favorite is MT or Foles.   I lean toward Foles.  I think this because offense has been a failure under Nagy and it is not human nature to place blame primarily on yourself.   Nagy's future is on the line here.  Unless MT blows him out of water early he will go with the long time veteran.  

On other hand whether it is MT or Foles the leash will be somewhat short I think.  Given that across board early games will be crap with little hitting in camp and no preseason I think a short leash and switching whoever it is is a really bad idea.  But again human nature and media pressure will come into it.   Not going to be a string a games barely scoring 14 - 17 points without a change.  

I have said all along that whoever is chosen we will see the other one either through bad play or injury.  So no point in becoming overly invested in team MT or team Foles.  Both will get their shot.

If you have two QBs you have none is the old saying.  We will see if that is true this year.

Mitch has been spending time working out with his receivers which is an advantage Foles hasn't had.  Now, with preseason cancelled, I'm thinking Mitch will be the starter week one while Foles is getting up to speed.  But Mitch's leash is gonna be a very short one.  He either proves he can run the offense effectively from the get go or he can't and gets benched for Foles. 

Nagy may favor Foles but Mitch is still ahead of him on the depth chart with only camp to compete in so this is what my gut is telling me today.  Of course Mitch could still mess it up like he did last summer but I really don't think that will repeat itself.  If he falls behind that early his career as a potential NFL starter is gonna be over at least for awhile or forever.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, soulman said:

Mitch has been spending time working out with his receivers which is an advantage Foles hasn't had.  Now, with preseason cancelled, I'm thinking Mitch will be the starter week one while Foles is getting up to speed.  But Mitch's leash is gonna be a very short one.  He either proves he can run the offense effectively from the get go or he can't and gets benched for Foles. 

Nagy may favor Foles but Mitch is still ahead of him on the depth chart with only camp to compete in so this is what my gut is telling me today.  Of course Mitch could still mess it up like he did last summer but I really don't think that will repeat itself.  If he falls behind that early his career as a potential NFL starter is gonna be over at least for awhile or forever.

Yep. Which is what I figured would happen. IMO, Mitch was going to be the starter anyways and with all offseason programs, camps, and games being cancelled only solidified it. 

They can't just throw Foles in there when they haven't had time to really see wheres he's at. 

First year in forever, ever really, I was really looking forward to watching all the Bears preseason games.  

A QB battle for starter, some recent raw late round and UDFA prospects with possible upside at TE and OL, a battle at CB #2,  a possible battle at SS and two recent slot corner draft picks still behind a recent FA veteran.

Bears needed preseason and a full camp in a bad way.   I guess everyone is dealing with something.  

Figures.

On 7/27/2020 at 8:13 AM, WindyCity said:

RG is the biggest battle. 

It was the worst position on the team last year and we have a bunch of unproven guys battling

Honestly, I think Ifedi mans this position and does fairly well at it.   I like his tape.   His problem isn't his blocking as much as its incredibly untimely penalties that stick in the mind of Seattle fans.  Not all holding penalties either.  Some of it is jumping offsides at a bad time.  Some of holding penalties were bad calls too.   

He was a bit slow footed for an OT, but honestly I think his feet are a little better than Massie and he isn't being asked to play OT.  But better feet than Massie is a very slight compliment.   I think he and Massie are fairly similar players to be honest.  I think they should have tried Massie at guard and looked to upgrade at OT.

I think problem for 2020 OL is the OTs and the TEs again, not the interior.  I think the interior is better than average and potentially quite good.  But I also think the OTs and TEs are more important to the success of offensive plays.   So I am not optimistic this going to be a strength for the team.  It will continue to be something to work around until you improve OT and blocking TE.  

Maybe Kmet develops into a fine blocking Y, but I am not convinced he is going to be one in 2020.  And I have little faith in Massie and Leno, my best hope is they are average.

That being said I think the O front is far better in 2020 than it was in 2019.

@WindyCity

If Bears hit on all glass full points they still match up very poorly offensively with a healthy 49ers D front.  They are just outmanned.  

But its a long year, and injuries happen.   Bears have some scholarship players on defensive side of ball too like Lovie would say.

I think they beat Packers last two years if they just stopped getting tricked upfront by Pettine and looking like a little league team on blocking assignments.   I mean, they would have been better off not using a pro blocking scheme and simply going foot to foot and all blocking down on every play.   It has been simply embarrassing against GB.  

Maybe that is where a new O line coach can earn his salt.