2018 Draft Eligible LB Thread.

Tugboat

2 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Foyesade Oluokun destroyed his pro day. Athleticism is obvious on tape, could be a good special teams guy to start then potentially develop/prove himself enough to get in on defense. By my count that's two Yale linebackers who should be given a shot.

Are you certain of your count?  I know 2 is a high number.  Maybe you should double check your math...xD

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

I'll make a stab at this, a few guys I haven't seen...

1. Roquan

2. Josey Jewell

3. Leighton Vander Esch

4.  Shaq Griffen

5. Rashaan Evans

Fairly close to mine as well.  West Virginia's Al-Rasheed Benton is another guy whose instincts flashed for me, but dude just misses tackles like his name is Sean Considine.  That later bit looks to me like it's more of a flaw in his technique, so it could be repaired, but it's going to make it tough for him to latch on to the necessary ST spot to ensure making a roster, so he may be a PS guy with potential to actually come good unless he's managed to overhaul that tackling technique in draft prep.

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

Making a request.  Give me your Top 5 LB's based off of Instincts Alone.

Whatever it is, can't include Edmunds.   His one major knock.   But man, those skills.  Still, it's going to take at least 1 full season before he's a difference-maker IMO. 

1. Roquan. 

2.  Vander Esch

3.  Jewell

4.  Evans

5.  Griffen

25 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Still, it's going to take at least 1 full season before he's a difference-maker IMO. 

I feel the same.  I think you can scheme him into it somewhat, but he's always going to be a guy using elite athleticism to compensate for sub-par instincts.

Based off a recent Twitter discussion I had today, I kind of feel the need to clarify something too that I'm not sure people understand.  Part and parcel to identifying the trait of a guy "having good instincts" is that said player also consistently trusts his instincts.  I've seen a number of guys who have demonstrated great instinctive reads, but they don't do it nearly as consistently as you would want to say that they display good instincts.  And in the cases of some guys like Uchenna Nwosu, you can see that while they may have the ability to make good instinctive reads, they have a bad habit of not trusting those instincts all that much (I've watched that guy stutter-step on a direct, unobstructed path to the QB way more than I'd like).

Josey Jewell may be the safest player in the entire draft. That straight line 40 speed isn't impressive but his instincts and field awareness more than make up for it. I think his athleticism is underrated. He ran a very fast 3 cone drill. His floor, he starts for you at minimum a half decade(barring injury). The teams that draft well will scoop him up by the end of the 3rd round and don't be shocked to see a PIT or NE grab him at end of 2nd. Screw the straight line 40 speed. He plays fast in game

15 hours ago, The LBC said:

Based off a recent Twitter discussion I had today, I kind of feel the need to clarify something too that I'm not sure people understand.  Part and parcel to identifying the trait of a guy "having good instincts" is that said player also consistently trusts his instincts.  I've seen a number of guys who have demonstrated great instinctive reads, but they don't do it nearly as consistently as you would want to say that they display good instincts.  And in the cases of some guys like Uchenna Nwosu, you can see that while they may have the ability to make good instinctive reads, they have a bad habit of not trusting those instincts all that much (I've watched that guy stutter-step on a direct, unobstructed path to the QB way more than I'd like).

Nwosu is intriguing as an early Day 3 guy.  Won’t likely go in the top 5 but should go soon after.   He has that issue you cited but the OSU bowl game showed his best case outcome.  He was a beast that night.  

3 hours ago, Hawkeyejam said:

Josey Jewell may be the safest player in the entire draft. That straight line 40 speed isn't impressive but his instincts and field awareness more than make up for it. I think his athleticism is underrated. He ran a very fast 3 cone drill. His floor, he starts for you at minimum a half decade(barring injury). The teams that draft well will scoop him up by the end of the 3rd round and don't be shocked to see a PIT or NE grab him at end of 2nd. Screw the straight line 40 speed. He plays fast in game

IMO, he's James Laurinaitis. He'll be a solid starter for as long as his body holds up, but I don't see a lot of sizzle to his game.

You guys sure do not like Edwards??? 6'5", 250 lbs. and runs like a deer. He is a top 10 guy for me! We have to remember that for the most part, round 1 is composed of juniors, far removed from finished products and if they are willing to work hard at their trade, that athletic ability can turn into an awesome talent. I believe Edwards has shown enough to suggest, he will be one of those guys.

Smith is always going to have a problem with his size, NFL players are fast and strong and he will not have an easy time of it at the next level. He carries some risk, but he deserves a pretty decent pick in round 1, but I think he will go after Edwards when all is said and done. 

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

IMO, he's James Laurinaitis. He'll be a solid starter for as long as his body holds up, but I don't see a lot of sizzle to his game.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Except, Laurinaitis was a lot faster than Jewell.  I like Jewell, he is the kind of player you hope makes the jump, but the odds are not in his favour. He will be drafted in the 3rd to 5th round and we will just have to see if he makes it.

Archived