WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Ron said in a interview today that it could take up to 16-18 months.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1989740

I'm so glad our coach is out there at the tip of the spear on this name change. I can't think of a more important thing for him to be worrying about, with rookies reporting and training camp starting, than the name change.

49 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm so glad our coach is out there at the tip of the spear on this name change. I can't think of a more important thing for him to be worrying about, with rookies reporting and training camp starting, than the name change.

I don't think him talking about the name change and that being a question during an interview takes away from anything else. Let's be honest, Rivera is our new Gibbs & Mike Shanahan. While he's head coach and responsible for that, Jack Del Rio will be running the defense almost entirely and Scott Turner will be running the offense almost entirely. Rivera is kind of like a CEO as a HC of the football operations, the way Marty was in 01, Gibbs was from 04-07 & Shanahan from 2010-2013.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Why not keep logo and simply rename the team, the Washington Natives !!!!!    It makes The best sense I’ve heard so far.  It would be a great mirror of the Washington Nationals MLB club.   I urge football fans to consider this simple name change to save an iconic American bit of our great national pride.   The original logo is not offensive to any one.  Look it up.   Change the name by inserting NATIVES and move on.   Thank you

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don't think him talking about the name change and that being a question during an interview takes away from anything else. Let's be honest, Rivera is our new Gibbs & Mike Shanahan. While he's head coach and responsible for that, Jack Del Rio will be running the defense almost entirely and Scott Turner will be running the offense almost entirely. Rivera is kind of like a CEO as a HC of the football operations, the way Marty was in 01, Gibbs was from 04-07 & Shanahan from 2010-2013.

And again, of football operations... meaning the players and the team that executes on the field. At least that is what he was supposed to have been until they "mission-creeped" his responsibilities into being the GM/Coach.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

And again, of football operations... meaning the players and the team that executes on the field. At least that is what he was supposed to have been until they "mission-creeped" his responsibilities into being the GM/Coach.

Yeah, but from what I can tell he’s just consulted in what they are doing. He was asked in an interview bc like Gruden, Shanahan, Zorn, Gibbs, Spurier & Marty before him Rivera handles most of the media requirements the organization has.

Others, like Bateman and his team are doing the actual work with everything that needs to be done with the new name.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Those aren't good examples to be following.  

I'd personally like it if he was more invested in the players like John Harbaugh, and less focused on the team name, appearances with Gayle King, etc.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

In the immortal words of Lando Calrissian, "this deal is getting worse all the time"

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 1:22 PM, Slappy Mc said:

I imagine that if/once a new name is picked it with be something with the use of the letter "R" so we can still use the big red R logo and keep the moniker "HTTR". 

Also, hopefully to help some who struggle with a name change, I would like to reiterate that the name doesn't make the team. The team makes the name. I live in Washington State and I would be far more upset with a local move than a name change. Teams change names all the time for various reasons. I hope that most can get past the ideology that we won't be the same team with a different name. 

Hang in there gents. 

Hail To The Football Team HTTFT

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Those aren't good examples to be following.  

I'd personally like it if he was more invested in the players like John Harbaugh, and less focused on the team name, appearances with Gayle King, etc.  

He's being asked about the team name in the media, what’s he supposed to do, not answer the question?

You all are making a big deal out of absolutely nothing.

As far as I can tell throughout his history Rivera has always been invested heavily in his players, but I guess it's now fun to guess he won't be before he even coaches a game...

Ugh