WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

In other words, we can't get the rights to the name we want.  

It took me 9 months to get a name trademarked because I had a logo to use and it def takes time and  I’m def not a professional football team. It will be here after the year if you’ve been through the process it’s not easy atleast for me it wasn’t lol

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 2

With regard to timing, it looks like Seattle‘s new hockey team launched an interactive portal with regard to naming, etc., in May 2019. They did their big unveiling yesterday, which is 14 months later. 

Coincidentally, 14 months from when the Redskins decided to change their name is September 2021. I would think we could follow their general model as far as trying to get it done, though I’m sure they’d like to release it early next summer in order to prepare all the signage, merchandise, etc. for the beginning of the season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

With regard to timing, it looks like Seattle‘s new hockey team launched an interactive portal with regard to naming, etc., in May 2019. They did their big unveiling yesterday, which is 14 months later. 

Coincidentally, 14 months from when the Redskins decided to change their name is September 2021. I would think we could follow their general model as far as trying to get it done, though I’m sure they’d like to release it early next summer in order to prepare all the signage, merchandise, etc. for the beginning of the season. 

on the flip, The LV Golden Knights only took 140 some odd days. Maybe split the difference?

A lot of people I’m seeing (not just here) are crushing the Redskins for not having come up with a contingency plan in the event the name change was forced by public pressure. In essence, for not being prepared with a replacement name and some sort of replacement branding in case this happened.

I guess I understand that, but I think they did have a plan. I think their plan was to change the name to “Warriors” and keep everything else the same. I think that’s why Warriors was publicly considered the odds-on favorite immediately after the announcement that a review was going to occur, and I think that’s why Rivera’s early comments were focused on promising that the name would honor native Americans and the military. I also think that’s probably why they had that ugly chunky burgundy and gold “W” ready as the only sort of logo they released with the WTF announcement yesterday. 

I think their plan got shot to hell when it became clear that the outraged would not be assuaged by a change to Warriors with the Native American imagery still attached. Which is why I think it seemed, early on, like it might be a quick turnaround — but now there’s a definite “back to the drawing board” feel to the process.

33 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

on the flip, The LV Golden Knights only took 140 some odd days. Maybe split the difference?

Seems reasonable in this instance. The public momentum has pretty much all coalesced behind one name (Red Wolves), so I can’t imagine that any public poll/pulse taking will require much time to suggest a most popular option. I guess I could envision a scenario in which COVID complications slow the process down dramatically, but as I said, I think they’ve gotta be aiming to have all their ducks in a row and ready for implementation well in advance of Week One — so perhaps starting the rollout in May of next year?

Plus, there’s not much the Redskins are more experienced with than damage control. If the team struggles this season to the extent that most NFL observers appear to think it will, I could easily see them making a new name announcement (or leaking it, if they aren’t ready for a formal announcement) in hopes that it would excite and galvanize the fanbase and perhaps keep many from abandoning ship. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Seems reasonable in this instance. The public momentum has pretty much all coalesced behind one name (Red Wolves), so I can’t imagine that any public poll/pulse taking will require much time to suggest a most popular option. I guess I could envision a scenario in which COVID complications slow the process down dramatically, but as I said, I think they’ve gotta be aiming to have all their ducks in a row and ready for implementation well in advance of Week One — so perhaps starting the rollout in May of next year?

Plus, there’s not much the Redskins are more experienced with than damage control. If the team struggles this season to the extent that most NFL observers appear to think it will, I could easily see them making a new name announcement (or leaking it, if they aren’t ready for a formal announcement) in hopes that it would excite and galvanize the fanbase and perhaps keep many from abandoning ship. 

Ron said in a interview today that it could take up to 16-18 months.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1989740

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Ron said in a interview today that it could take up to 16-18 months.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1989740

Now that would be an embarrassment.

Not if it was really an issue where they just hadn’t fully completed the rollout. I’m sure there are things like stadium signage and media content and even legal documents/contracts that may not immediately transition once the name and the rest are decided upon. 

But if it takes them 16-18 months just to roll out a name, a logo, some uniform concepts, and the rest of the basic public branding stuff — that will feel like a real failure to me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Now that would be an embarrassment.

Not if it was really an issue where they just hadn’t fully completed the rollout. I’m sure there are things like stadium signage and media content and even legal documents/contracts that may not immediately transition once the name and the rest are decided upon. 

But if it takes them 16-18 months just to roll out a name, a logo, some uniform concepts, and the rest of the basic public branding stuff — that will feel like a real failure to me. 

If it's legal issues over a certain name they want, then they should just pick a different name. It shouldn't take a year and a half to get a new name and brand secured.

Jason Bateman or whoever Dan’s buddy is better get on this and get it done!