WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I didn't click this article, but there's a good reddit post out there about someone connecting the dots on DCSentinels.com being registered by a similar entity to Redskins.com

Yeah, they were talking about it on the Junkies this morning when I was watching them. People called in to the show, most were good with it, there were a few who weren’t. I’d be fine with Sentinels but I think others are better which we’ve been talking about the last few weeks.

On 7/20/2020 at 12:07 PM, e16bball said:

When the Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens in 1996, it was a big deal in my area. Especially because they held their training camp at Western Maryland College (now McDaniel), which is about 7 minutes from where I grew up. The young people, for the most part, flocked to the Ravens immediately. They were new, and kinda exciting for that reason, and these kids didn’t have any real emotional investment built up with their placeholder teams. The grown folks, though, they weren’t really bought in. They still almost resented the team a little for trying to replace “their Colts,” and honestly there wasn’t much on the field to get too excited about. The team that showed up from Cleveland under Ted Marchibroda had Vinny Testaverde (and then Jim Harbaugh) at the QB, to go with a really anonymous cast of characters on both sides of the ball. They chucked the ball around a lot for that time, but they stunk. To these older Colts fans, it was basically just a crummy expansion team. 

But as time went on, the Ravens started to make some moves. They drafted two HOFers with their first two picks as a franchise (Jonathan Ogden at 4, Ray Lewis at 26). And with those picks, they started to build an identity of their own. The next year they drafted Peter Boulware and Jamie Sharper, and they signed Michael McCrary and big Tony Siragusa. Defense started to become a calling card. It resonated with the blue collar folks in and around Baltimore. In the next couple years, they went on to draft Chris McAlister and Duane Starks, as well as signing guys like Rod Woodson. They built the best defense in the league (maybe in history), and they complemented it with a smashmouth offense that ran the ball behind a big OL. They were tough, they were fast, they were brash, they were cool. The fans who were standoffish at first were starting to drift back. 

Excellent Post, Just wanted to chime in as a life long browns Fan, and having suffered through loosing our team in 1995......I wouldnt said "Under Marchibroda" as he was hired by Model for the Move, the team that came had been coached from 1991-1995 by Bill Bellicheck....Marchibroada may have been the issue, Baltimore inherited players like RB's, Bam Morris, Earnest Byner and Leroy Hoard. WR Derrick Alexander (basck to back 1000 yard seasons) and Michael Jackson (lead the NFL in receiving TD's  in 1996 for yall), OL Orlando Brown Sr. and Steve Everrett..on defense Rob Barnnett and Anthony Pleasant (very solid NFL players)...and All pro Safety Eric Turner and CB Antonio Langahm  (8 ints in 2 years) and Kicker Matt Stover...so its not like the Ravens were coming from scratch or "Expansion level" team. Not to mention a Front office that made all those great picks (two HOF in the first round) and acquisitions, Ozzie Newsom, Phil Savage and Scott Pioli (all came over from Cleveland), so that Raven Football Identity has Cleveland DNA at its very core.....and a coaching staff that included Kirk Frentz, Pat Hill, John Settle, Eric Mangini, Marvin Lewis and Jim Schwartz.

I just wanted to make sure the Cleveland Brown Meteorite that was assembled and ready to make a sustained run the NFL for the next 20 years, gets its proper due....and Baltimore got a HUGE chunk of it. (for those that doubt, take a look at the 1995 Cleveland Browns, when the whole gang was together)

I feel for the Redskins fans having to loose the name......but it could be worse.....at least they arent packing up Moving Vans :)

• Like 2

What about a Superhero team name? It would definitely bring in the younger generation crowd.

DC Flash= Flash is already Burgundy & Gold.  https://images.app.goo.gl/X9dWvrEyZFtBLnuR9

Or

DC Superheroes= With a combination of all DC characters & their colors.

Yes, it's way out there. 

But it would be a marketers dream. 

Just spit balling here...

Edited by aceinthehouse

8 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

What about a Superhero team name? It would definitely bring in the younger generation crowd.

DC Flash= Flash is already Burgundy & Gold.  https://images.app.goo.gl/X9dWvrEyZFtBLnuR9

Or

Yes, it's way out there. 

I love it.  No one can hate superheroes.  What player wouldn't want to wear superhero garb?  You already got players with superman tatoos and superman moves.  Plus I think it would make for really fun gear/logo.

Yes a marketers dream and not to mention, if I am snyder I am thinking this is the way to attract a new generation of young fans.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Or

Yes, it's way out there. 

Kent State where my dad, my uncle, Nick Saban, Jack Lambert, James Harrison, Julian Edelman and Josh Cribbs went to school are the Golden Flashes.

As Thai pointed out before all NFL teams names end in an ‘S.’ So, maybe the Flashes? Red Flashes?

@DaWg_LB. I agree with your post, my family is from Ohio and while my parents, my sister and half of my family is Steelers fans back from Ohio, the other half is Browns fans. People forget that Baltimore inherited a pretty good team - I think Belicheck had them at 11-5 two years before Model moved them to BMore.

My grandfather died at 80 years old a screwed over Browns fans who was stabbed in the back by Art Model. So many times they were close to going to the Super Bowl in the 80s & then they leave and 5 years later Ozzie Newsome - the greatest TE in Browns history - drafted Ogden & Ray Lewis and the win a Super Bowl for Baltimore. What a punch in the nuts to Browns fans everywhere.

IMO if Model wanted that new stadium so bad he should have gotten the expansion team in Baltimore. And, then the actual Browns players would have started over with their new team in Cleveland and Model would have had to start over with all new players in Baltimore. If that happens, Cleveland wins two Super Bowls the first 15 years of this century and the Ravens are what the Browns currently are.

Again, Cleveland and Browns fans got royally screwed by Model and the NFL.

Edited by turtle28