Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

General rule of thumb is udfa college stars who sign later don't amount to a ton. They are mostly lottery tickets. I wouldnt bank on a ton from him

Got ya. We signed Logan O’Connor out of DU a few years back and he’s been a great role player. We had brought in Kerfoot before that who was also solid. It’s hard for me to gauge guys coming from college though. 

12 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Got ya. We signed Logan O’Connor out of DU a few years back and he’s been a great role player. We had brought in Kerfoot before that who was also solid. It’s hard for me to gauge guys coming from college though. 

Yeah, solid role player for a few years is a really successful one to be honest. Most of these guys end up with AHL contracts and not even NHL contracts. Like, Dryden McKay isn't going to get an NHL deal I'm pretty sure and he was just the third goalie in history to win the Hobey Baker. 

Kerfoot was actually drafted. He didn't want to play for the Devils which is why he went he college route and played all 4 years so he could be a free agent lol I think the devils took him in the 4th or 5th round. 

Some college free agents were drafted and elected to go that route so they could get away from the organization, some college free agents were simply never drafted in any of the three years they were eligible to be and had to go that route. Those are the ones who you're typically looking at as NHL roleplayers being a big success. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, solid role player for a few years is a really successful one to be honest. Most of these guys end up with AHL contracts and not even NHL contracts. Like, Dryden McKay isn't going to get an NHL deal I'm pretty sure and he was just the third goalie in history to win the Hobey Baker. 

Kerfoot was actually drafted. He didn't want to play for the Devils which is why he went he college route and played all 4 years so he could be a free agent lol I think the devils took him in the 4th or 5th round. 

Some college free agents were drafted and elected to go that route so they could get away from the organization, some college free agents were simply never drafted in any of the three years they were eligible to be and had to go that route. Those are the ones who you're typically looking at as NHL roleplayers being a big success. 

Yeah, I forgot about that. Jimmy Vesey did this too I believe, but his was a bigger deal because he was drafted higher if memory serves. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Yeah, I forgot about that. Jimmy Vesey did this too I believe, but his was a bigger deal because he was drafted higher if memory serves. 

Yep. Blake Wheeler was probably the most notorious in recent memory given that he was drafted #5 overall. Adam Fox also would have done this as he was forcing CArolina to trade him or he would walk as a college free agent. They ultimately traded him to the Rangers

• Like 1

lol every East playoff team is going to end up with over 100 points. Has that ever happened before?

Lightning - 9 games to get 4 points
Bruins - 9 games to get 5 points
Penguins - 7 games to get 5 points
Capitals - 9 games to get 8 points

Florida, Toronto, Carolina and NY Rangers are already over 100 points.

On 4/13/2022 at 7:56 PM, Forge said:

Well he played for the big club tonight and scored a goal. It looks like he’ll be a bottom six forward for the Avs. I guess he can’t play in the playoffs because he wasn’t signed by the trade deadline. Is this new? I know Makar came in and had his first action in the playoffs. 

20 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Well he played for the big club tonight and scored a goal. It looks like he’ll be a bottom six forward for the Avs. I guess he can’t play in the playoffs because he wasn’t signed by the trade deadline. Is this new? I know Makar came in and had his first action in the playoffs. 

Makar wasn't a free agent, so I'm guessing that's the difference. He just signed his elc as a draftee. 

• Like 1

So NHL adjacent, but Dryden McKay, the Hobey Baker winning goalie for Minnesota State has been suspended for 6 months for an illegal substance. The "catch" is that he was able to prove that it was a tainted supplement that should not have had the substance. So there wasn't even negligence or laziness here. I get that we want to get PEDs out of sport, but suspending people for something like this doesn't seem to further that goal it any way.

He was going to be a college FA but is apparently pretty short for a goalie so may not have amounted to anything anyway, but still this just irks me

• Like 1