Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

Just now, flyers0909 said:

Kopitar over Giroux makes zero sense. 

Do you think Giroux gets dinged for secondary assists? I think he lead the league. I'm not saying that's a bad thing..a point is a point to me, but I know some people don't like them. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Do you think Giroux gets dinged for secondary assists? I think he lead the league. I'm not saying that's a bad thing..a point is a point to me, but I know some people don't like them. 

I don't think it's such a huge factor that it would have an impact.  He still finished tied for 9th (with Kopitar) in primary points.  

Just now, flyers0909 said:

I don't think it's such a huge factor that it would have an impact.  He still finished tied for 9th (with Kopitar) in primary points.  

I was a little surprised by the inclusion of Kopitar, even though we had discussed in this thread previously the merits for him being there. Defense must have really earned him some points. I don't see any way in which MacKinnon doesn't win it though. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 9:39 PM, Forge said:

I was a little surprised by the inclusion of Kopitar, even though we had discussed in this thread previously the merits for him being there. Defense must have really earned him some points. I don't see any way in which MacKinnon doesn't win it though. 

Yeah it'll be close. I think Hall takes it the way analysts were talking about him during the last week or two. If Mac wins, I won't be mad tho. He's incredibly talented too.

1 hour ago, bkobow05 said:

Yeah it'll be close. I think Hall takes it the way analysts were talking about him during the last week or two. If Mac wins, I won't be mad tho. He's incredibly talented too.

Yeah, I think it's almost a lock that Kopitar finishes third. Like 98% sure. I've seen a lot of love for both Hall and MacKinnon. I think it comes down to which is weighted more by the voters. YOu either favor MacKinnon's slightly superior production on a per game basis and the improvement of the team from last year (MacKinnon is also a center, but I'll be honest, in his case, i don't know how much that helps him. He's pretty miserable in the face off circle, and I don't think that he's strong enough defensively for that to really come in to play, particularly given that Hall is no slouch on that end), or do you favor the notable way in which Hall carried his team. The 41 point differential is the biggest in a decade, I think, and let's be real, Nico only hit 50 points because Hall was a 90 point scorer. If he's not on Hall's line, he probably only has 35-40 points for the year. 

That being said, I wouldn't be mad if Kopitar won it. He had the second largest differential in points I think, he's extremely good defensively, of course. He's got a legitimate claim to the title of most valuable, I just don't think that he has the hype behind him to win it.