PFT's 2020 Preseason Power Rankings

49ersfan

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/19/pfts-2020-preseason-power-rankings/

I'll let you guys read the article for the reasoning, but i'll post the 1-32 list here...

1. Chiefs

2. 49ers

3. Ravens

4. Patriots

5. Saints

6. Bucs

7. Seahawks

8. Titans

9. Bills

10. Eagles

11. Steelers

12. Cowboys

13. Vikings

14. Packers

15. Broncos

16. Colts

17. Texans

18. Browns

19. Falcons

20. Cardinals

21. Chargers

22. Raiders

23. Rams

24. Jets

25. Bears

26. Dolphins

27. Lions

28. Bengals

29. Giants

30. Panthers

31. Jaguars

32. Washington

Thoughts?

I'd have the Ravens over the Niners. 

No way I have the Pats that high. I don't hate the seahawks ranking ,but I Think that they'd be lower on mine. Some of the regression metrics are really bad, but at the same time...they just keep winning. So who knows. I like the Eagles / Cowboys chance for a good season, think I may have them higher. Broncos are too high for me, Texans too low. Dolphins are too high for me. I love Flores as a coach though, so I wouldn't be surprised if the once again outplayed my expectations. 

I also think the Patriots are way too high. Bill Belichick is a genius head coach, but at the same time you need talent at the QB position to make headway regardless of how smart you are. I don't know if Cam Newton can provide that at this point in time, especially during his first year with a new team. Also, they might have the worst group of receivers in the NFL. Tom Brady could tread water with that like he did last year, but I don't have faith in Newton to do the same. The good news is that they play in a lackluster division, there is another wild card spot, and the defense is a good unit. Wouldn't put them as a top 5 team now though heading into the season. Certainly not above New Orleans. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Yes, the Rams are too low. I don't agree with Florio there. They finished 9-7 last year, and were in the thick of the playoff race in a tight division, and tight conference. The Rams also had the league's hardest schedule last year in terms of DVOA. I fully expect them to compete strongly next year despite the loss of Cooks, Gurley, and the offensive line woes. I think Goff rebounds, and wouldn't be surprised if they were division champs. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

Depends if Darnold improves, or becomes Trubisky.

I don't think Gase is a good HC at all, I don't think Darnold is a good QB, locker room seems like a recipe for disaster, and they have a bottom 3 roster talent wise imo

On 7/19/2020 at 12:11 PM, 49ersfan said:

Thoughts?

I'd move the Pats way down, the Steelers and Browns a little down, and the Texans, Panthers, and Rams up.  Otherwise, it's a pretty good list.  Hard to argue with the SB champs, the runners up, and the team with the most wins as 1 2 and 3.

15 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Rams at 23rd, one place ahead of NYJ, seems a bit much. Also Carolina 30th below NYG, Cinci and Detroit doesn't look right either. 

I'm weirdly kind of bullish on the lions. Not for like 9 wins or something, but I think people forgot they weren't horrific last year with Stafford. I could see them with 7 wins. The defense is likely a problem

On 7/20/2020 at 9:01 PM, Classic said:

Is the Redskins being last based off the negative off the field press? They can't be the worst roster in league when you have the Lions, Bengals, and Dolphins 

I think it’s the perception of their QBs.

And Guice hasn’t posted that 2000 yard season yet.