Training camp news

Pastor Dillon

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

DeAndre Hopkins is now referring to himself in the 3rd person..

That's...new.

That's...different.

Gotta be a de facto hold out. Especially with the new 50k/day fine for holdouts and teams not being able to waive them according to the CBA.

Only time will tell if BOB was just ahead of the curve on Hop or we didn’t see the whole picture. 

• Like 1

It’s gonna be impossible to know what’s going on with this team until after the opener. 

I quit paying attention to the Texans beat writers when for numerous seasons we heard “Fitzpatrick is on a whole other level” “Mallet has looked like the answer” “Osweiler is as advertised” blah blah blah “Tom savage has looked more prepared than Watson”. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

Only time will tell if BOB was just ahead of the curve on Hop or we didn’t see the whole picture. 

Even if he was ahead of the curve, the return was atrocious - if Jamal Adams could be traded for multiple firsts (while needing a new contract and playing a position that isn't considered a priority position) then there is absolutely no excuse to not get a 1st for Hopkins, either this past draft or next draft.

I've come to terms with the trade, I'm looking up on the WR unit, I'm looking up on David Johnson doing some great stuff as a Texan - I'm all in on that part of the transaction. I'm just really adamant that we should have received 1.8 in return, and no on-field production will convince me otherwise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Even if he was ahead of the curve, the return was atrocious - if Jamal Adams could be traded for multiple firsts (while needing a new contract and playing a position that isn't considered a priority position) then there is absolutely no excuse to not get a 1st for Hopkins, either this past draft or next draft.

I've come to terms with the trade, I'm looking up on the WR unit, I'm looking up on David Johnson doing some great stuff as a Texan - I'm all in on that part of the transaction. I'm just really adamant that we should have received 1.8 in return, and no on-field production will convince me otherwise.

Yup. I have zero problems making moves, even when I disagree with them. I have a HUGE problem getting terrible returns on our investment. Clowney, Hopkins...both should have yielded more return. 

I read Hopkins has a sore hammy and they are taking it slow with him. Why is this even news?

• Like 1

I am not sure, in BOBs mind, That we got a bad return on the trade. He obviously has David Johnson rated really high. I don't, most of us dont, but that is the only rationale I have been able to come up with. Johnson and Blacklock for Hopkins. Time will tell if that was good value or not. 

22 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I am not sure, in BOBs mind, That we got a bad return on the trade.

And this is an issue - regardless of outcome of these players. If BoB can't figure out how much is too much or hoe much is not enough, he'll be raked over the coals by GMs who are able to value these players correctly.

He's overpaying when he wants a guy (Tunsil, Cooks) and undercharging when he gets rid of a guy (Hopkins, Clowney). Right now it's not bad, but if he keeps doing that - we'll have a roster of B team guys with no future picks to replenish the team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amazingandre said:

I read Hopkins has a sore hammy and they are taking it slow with him. Why is this even news?

There are people who think Hopkins' sore hammy could be healed up with rest... and a new contract...

• Like 1

Isaiah Coulter was one of 5 draft picks in 2020. Just 5. We took him fairly early in the 5th round. We took him knowing we had cooks, Fuller, stills, Cobb, Coutee, and carter. 

maybe we keep 6 WRs, but probably only 5. Are we really gonna cut him and hope to sign him to the practice squad? Did we really use a 5th round pick, when we only had 5, to get a guy that had a near impossible battle to make the roster?

i think we are gonna trade Stills and keep Coulter whole choosing between carter and Coutee. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Isaiah Coulter was one of 5 draft picks in 2020. Just 5. We took him fairly early in the 5th round. We took him knowing we had cooks, Fuller, stills, Cobb, Coutee, and carter. 

maybe BOB left autodraft on by accident

On 8/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, ET80 said:

And this is an issue - regardless of outcome of these players. If BoB can't figure out how much is too much or hoe much is not enough, he'll be raked over the coals by GMs who are able to value these players correctly.

He's overpaying when he wants a guy (Tunsil, Cooks) and undercharging when he gets rid of a guy (Hopkins, Clowney). Right now it's not bad, but if he keeps doing that - we'll have a roster of B team guys with no future picks to replenish the team.

I mean any GM with half a brain knew Johnson had no trade value. Heck, his trade value was negative. If BOB liked him, fine, no Texans fan criticizes the acquisition, but to only get a 2nd in return? If Johnson explodes, it still wont suddenly redeem the trade, but it would be welcome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

maybe we keep 6 WRs, but probably only 5. Are we really gonna cut him and hope to sign him to the practice squad? Did we really use a 5th round pick, when we only had 5, to get a guy that had a near impossible battle to make the roster?

i think we are gonna trade Stills and keep Coulter whole choosing between carter and Coutee. 

I think we keep the 4 main guys and Coulter. You don’t draft a small school guy and know it’ll be a 3 year long play before he pays dividends. He’s the developmental guy for after the vets leave in the coming years. No way he passes through waivers too. I don’t think we keep 6 either because Duke and David can catch the ball out of the backfield and we have Cullen at FB. Guys like Stevie Mitchell and Chad Hansen will most likely pass through waivers to the PS. 

2 hours ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

I mean any GM with half a brain knew Johnson had no trade value. Heck, his trade value was negative. If BOB liked him, fine, no Texans fan criticizes the acquisition, but to only get a 2nd in return? If Johnson explodes, it still wont suddenly redeem the trade, but it would be welcome.

Johnson damn near need to have a 2000+ rushing season and 10+ touchdown for this trade to even be decent for me. 

• Like 1