Shaheen traded to Dolphins

Bowler1215

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Well, Clowney is a much better player than Floyd. I get his thinking in a way; while Floyd wasn't as good as the draft spot they chose him, they certainly didn't get "nothing" from him

I wouldn't say much better... He was a good run-defender and not much else. Similar to Floyd, but Floyd is a much better pass-defender (though he made very few splash plays doing it.)

27 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Perfect comparison. Hunter wasn't great at anything but was consistent and did his job well as an SLB.  

Yeah and he was a 5th rounder.

To each and every complainer about Pace's drafts you may receive one or both of the following.

beat-a-dead-horse.jpg

Personalized and suitable for framing...........

859c20bf5b55e17ca9471352e85eb531_origina

To play with while the rest of us talk about anything else but Pace's drafts.........

8 hours ago, soulman said:

To each and every complainer about Pace's drafts you may receive one or both of the following.

beat-a-dead-horse.jpg

Personalized and suitable for framing...........

859c20bf5b55e17ca9471352e85eb531_origina

To play with while the rest of us talk about anything else but Pace's drafts.........

This thread is about a failed draft pick. I am not sure why you would wander in here to complain about people talking about Pace’s draft picks.

May I suggest reading thread titles and only clicking on the ones that pander to homers?

34 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This thread is about a failed draft pick. I am not sure why you would wander in here to complain about people talking about Pace’s draft picks.

May I suggest reading thread titles and only clicking on the ones that pander to homers?

No.....this thread is about the trade of Adam Shaheen or at least it is to many of us.

To YOU it's about a failed draft pick because that's practically all you piss and moan about.  YOU"RE the one who wants to re-frame it YOUR way so YOU can piss and moan even more about Pace and his lousy draft picks yet you always ignore those who have turned out very well and also his moves in FA to both acquire and keep top shelf talent.  All is not as dark as midnight in everyone else's world but yours.  Plug in a lamp will ya' or at least light a candle.

To be honest, to have even gotten a 7th or a possible 6th was a positive knowing Shaheen would be gone soon anyway.  Plus it added some cap space.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

One more thing to add.  Since you're all afire to replace Pace as GM how 'bout giving us a list of those who may be available you believe could do better.

If you've ever in your life been in a position where you had to hire and fire people who you plan to replace them with is always a primary consideration.

Can you give us three or four prospects for Pace's replacement?

9 hours ago, soulman said:

If you've ever in your life been in a position where you had to hire and fire people who you plan to replace them with is always a primary consideration.

I have no investment in you guys argument but this is not true at all haha.

I was a social work manager for years, most firings were over the course of maybe a week and most of the planning went into the redistribution of the work, replacements pretty much weren't considered until we got that established.

Like imagine being an accounting manager and you find out someone is stealing or not showing up, no way your PRIMARY consideration is who the replacement is haha.

Sorry for the random chime in but this comment was eye rolling haha

On 7/26/2020 at 10:54 AM, CWood21 said:

That '17 draft is looking really, really bad in hindsight.  Thankfully Eddie Jackson has been a stud for you guys.

It won't looks as bad when Mitchy becomes MVP Mitch ;)

3 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I have no investment in you guys argument but this is not true at all haha.

I was a social work manager for years, most firings were over the course of maybe a week and most of the planning went into the redistribution of the work, replacements pretty much weren't considered until we got that established.

Like imagine being an accounting manager and you find out someone is stealing or not showing up, no way your PRIMARY consideration is who the replacement is haha.

Sorry for the random chime in but this comment was eye rolling haha

Theft would be an unplanned firing for cause.  I wouldn't even consider that comparable unless I suspected it in advance and then I would be planning for it.  Unexcused absences would typically be happening with enough regularity to know I would probably need to let them go and therefore would be planned for in advance.  Ha ha?

Social work as in working for a governmental agency of some type?

Do you feel the firing of social workers there are in any way comparable to deciding who to hire to run a multi-billion dollar NFL football team with a player payroll alone that runs in excess of $200 million dollars?

Not to in any way demean social workers but that's like comparing the firing of the produce manager at the local supermarket to the hiring and firing of the CEO of the parent corporation.  With all due respect.  It doesn't compare very well.

But in any event I would not and have not routinely made hiring or firing decisions without pre-planning and I'm pretty certain the Bears would not and that's who we're dealing with here not some other organization that is in no way comparable.

If we're really gonna make this an inquisition on Pace's drafts let's at least balance it out.  Bad = a complete flop.  Good = a starter who contributes or contributed.

Bad: Kevin White ........ Good: Anthony Miller

Bad: Adam Shaheen ....... Good: Eddie Jackson

Bad: Hroniss Grasu ....... Good: Cody Whitehair

Bad: Jonathan Bullard ....... Good: Eddie Goldman

Bad/Good: Mitchell Trubisky  (so far he's his own balancing factor)

Good: Adrian Amos, Leonard Floyd, Nick Kwiatkoski, Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen, Roquan Smith, Bilal Nichols, James Daniels, David Montgomery

Long term ST talent; Deon Bush, DeAndre Houston-Carson

Unexceptional UFA talent: Eddie Royal, Antrel Rolle, Markus Wheaton, Mike Glennon,  Cody Parkey, Trey Burton, Dion Sims

Exceptional UFA talent: *Khalil Mack, ARob, Prince Amukamara, Danny Trevathan, Akiem Hicks,  Robert Quinn

Good UFA talent: Taylor Gabriel, Cordarelle Patterson, Buster Skrine, HHC-D, KP-L, Bobbie Massie, NIck Williams, Jimmy Graham

So on balance has Pace missed more than he's hit?  No, not in the draft and not in FA or by *trade for Khalil Mack.  The only true 1st round bust so far has been Kevin White and injuries did play a major role in that.  Nonetheless he was a bust.  Shaheen was a boom or bust reach no doubt or dispute.  Grasu and Bullard were 3rd round picks who failed to become starters or even respectable producers.

But what about 2nd round picks like Goldman, Whitehair, Daniels and Miller who have started and produced?  What about 4th and 5th picks like Jackson, Amos, Howard, Kwiatkoski, and Nichols who are or were starting level talent.  Bush and Houston-Carson have been key ST guys.  Floyd was a disappointment as an edge rusher but not as player in general and Roquan Smith has the makings of an All Pro.  The two we're most uncertain about so far are only Mitch and David Montgomery but neither could be seen as a complete bust. Not even Mitch.  Not until he's been given a shot at getting back on track.

And look at by how much Pace's positive FA signings outweigh his negative ones.  It's Pace's guys (draftees and FAs) who are the backbone of the entire defense all with the exception of Kyle Fuller who we can at least give credit to Pace for being savvy enough to re-sign keeping him outta GB where we'd face him twice a year.  With limited top draft picks I don't think we should short sell just how much of an improvement the defense has made since the Trestman/Tucker disaster.  It's true there have been some offensive busts but also acquisitions like ARob that have offset a bust like White and a Cody Whitehair to offset and Hroniss Grasu.

I'm not implying Ryan Pace is perfect but to keep harping on a handful of failures vs an entire basket full of successes is IMHO beating a dead horse.  Pace is still the best GM this team has had since the Jim Finks/Jerry Vainisi era and Finks made his fair share of questionable QB picks as well.  And don't even get me started on the Mike McCaskey/Dave Wannstedt/ Rod Graves era.  That was like a livin' on the streets again era compared to where we are now.  The foundation is nearly built and now the challenge for Pace is to keep it strong and competitive from here on forward.  That's gonna be the true test of his skills as a GM.  JMHO

I have a hard time saying the “foundation is built” with a team with 1 playoff appearance and 0 playoff wins.

People act like this team has had more success than they have.

If this is the foundation that color me unimpressed.

• 2 weeks later...