What happened to teen comedies? (Also a Top 5/10 thread?)

MikeT14

18 hours ago, 43M said:

Even though tons of comedians have commented on how bad the comedy landscape has gotten.   

Im sure you think Amy Schumer is funny too.

Hhahahaha, Amy Schumer? Who hasnt been relevant since, IDK 2015? That was your gotcha? Not that its relevant, but I have never heard/seen any Amy material.

I guess my point is we are supposed to believe comedy is dead or being repressed because 50+ year old dudes dudes are whining college kids don't laugh at their decades old material? Not to mention these dudes are still raking in Netflix bucks. 

Look, this isnt new. Every generation of comedians have had to deal with audiences tastes changing. There are PLENTY of comedians killing it right now, commercially, critically, and financially. Not being able to succeed today speaks more to the ability of the individual comic than anything else. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 2:41 PM, animaltested said:

. Comedians like John Mulaney, Ali Wong and Hasan Minhaj have been able to thrive in this comedic climate just fine. 

.....Who??

And I really mean that. I have no clue who these people are. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

Me personally when I started pushing 30 I lost interest in almost anything about high schoolers. But I still enjoy American Pie because it’s from my childhood. But if I watched it for the first time today I’d probably think it was stupid. My feeling is if I talked to teenagers they’d probably have a ton of teenage movies they like. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Me personally when I started pushing 30 I lost interest in almost anything about high schoolers. But I still enjoy American Pie because it’s from my childhood. But if I watched it for the first time today I’d probably think it was stupid. My feeling is if I talked to teenagers they’d probably have a ton of teenage movies they like. 

I'm 33, but I have a 16 year old half brother and sister. I actually asked them this question. The movies they named? The same one we have - American Pie, Superbad, etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I thought the same thing.  I just thought I had outgrown the genre more so than it disappearing.  I still like the ones that I liked before, just from nastaglia, and reliving some of the moments/lines that made me laugh before.  I had never viewed it as them disappearing.

10 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I thought the same thing.  I just thought I had outgrown the genre more so than it disappearing.  I still like the ones that I liked before, just from nastaglia, and reliving some of the moments/lines that made me laugh before.  I had never viewed it as them disappearing.

The 80s and 90s were littered with them though. Even somewhat a good amount in the 2000s. I swear we've struggled to name a good amount for the 2010s. Even if you want to extend out a little bit and add college movies.