What happened to teen comedies? (Also a Top 5/10 thread?)

MikeT14

Far too many comedies the last couple decades or so are all formulaic garbage that lean heavy on unnecessary raunch.  Elite writing in comedies that don't rely on lame gimmicks is rarely found these days.

Edited by thrILL!

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

No mention of Napoleon Dynamite?  That is a classic and easily one of the best teen comedies ever made and one of the funniest comedies, it is absolutely original in every sense of the word.

I loved this movie when it came out. It's a good answer. On a "recent" rewatch though, it didn't stick with me as much fwiw. 

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I loved this movie when it came out. It's a good answer. On a "recent" rewatch though, it didn't stick with me as much fwiw. 

Recent rewatch?  I have watched that movie probably 15 times or more and in no way does it get worse the more I watch it, especially if one is focusing mainly on the one liners.  

Stay home and eat all the freaking chips Kip.
I caught you a delicious Bass.
Your just jealous that I have been chatting online with babes all day.
Worst day of my life, whadda think.
We can't afford the 24 pack, put it back, just gona have to mix and match!
Take if off any sweet jumps.
Freaking 12 gauge whadda think.
It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip.

I have some nieces and when I see them we always throw out random Napoleon Dynamite one liners in conversation.  It is a wildly underrated film and to me and is absolutely a 'teen comedy'.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Recent rewatch?  I have watched that movie probably 15 times or more and in no way does it get worse the more I watch it, especially if one is focusing mainly on the one liners.  

It is a wildly underrated film and to me and is absolutely a 'teen comedy'.

First part - I probably last watched it two years ago.

Second part - no argument for me. It was amazing back then, and I remember how much I enjoyed it. I'd def call it a teen comedy.

22 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

It's a good point, but I listened to Patton Oswalt on ... I think it was Pardon My Take. They asked him about this. I am doing this from memory, but he more or less said the best in the world actually thrive off this. You have to come up with new and creative ways to do comedy. I'm butchering it some, but he had a good counter-point. 

I'd agree with him, as far as stand up goes.  Comedians, themselves, can get away with some.  Movies are pretty hamstrung, though. 

• Like 1

The whole "where's comedy" nonsense is dumb. Bunch of dullards angry they cant punch down or use shock comedy as a crutch. Comedians like John Mulaney, Ali Wong and Hasan Minhaj have been able to thrive in this comedic climate just fine. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Stay home and eat all the freaking chips Kip.
I caught you a delicious Bass.
Your just jealous that I have been chatting online with babes all day.
Worst day of my life, whadda think.
We can't afford the 24 pack, put it back, just gona have to mix and match!
Take if off any sweet jumps.
Freaking 12 gauge whadda think.
It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip.

I have some nieces and when I see them we always throw out random Napoleon Dynamite one liners in conversation.  It is a wildly underrated film and to me and is absolutely a 'teen comedy'.

I watched this about a month ago and I completely agree. The movie is still fantastic and hilarious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

Ladybird and 8th Grade were both fantastic teen comedies that came out recently. 

Yep. Ladybird was 2017 though.  I think 8th grade was too? I have not seen Booksmart. I guess that is one a year... but ... still feels missing. 

20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yep. Ladybird was 2017 though.  I think 8th grade was too? I have not seen Booksmart. I guess that is one a year... but ... still feels missing. 

The film 8th Grade to me was not a comedy, it had a very serious tone, sure funny parts but I would never call that a teen comedy, Ladybird was good but not sure it was all that funny either, just entertaining not some laugh riot film.  If I remember correct both films the comedic tone came mostly from the parent and how childish and or immature they were, that is pretty lame and has obviously been done.  

49 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I watched this about a month ago and I completely agree. The movie is still fantastic and hilarious.

giphy.gif

You think I got to where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan here?  Forget about it!

kip.gif

You look like a strong young pup, how about you see if you can give this a tear.  

0bbf2683c4a42f1d0d1f94d065a683a4.gif

What are you gonna do today Napoleon?  

giphy.gif

It is a line o rama.  Such original and completely distinct dialog specific to only this movie.  Loser comedies are always the best type of comedies I feel, and this is one of the best.   

On 7/27/2020 at 9:04 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

Everything wants to capitalize on tshirts, figurines, videogames and use licensing rights to their fullest potential. Plus its all been done. Hard to stand out and be different anymore.

1 PORKYS SERIES

2 Hollywood Knights

3. American Pie Series

4. American Graffiti

5. Bill and Ted Series

6. Johnny Be Good

7. Revenge of the Nerds

8. Rock of Ages

9. Dazed and Confused

10. The Van

How you have a list without Porkys Mike is beyond me. The "We'll call the police and have them send over a sketch artist...." is the greatest scene in movie history.

That scene had me crying laughing watching it when I was like 10. Can’t even imagine how many times they had to do that scene. It’s epic

• Like 1