Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

11 minutes ago, N4L said:

This is what I was trying to explain to you about Garoppolos contract. If you decide to cut them in year 2 and eat the dead space, the cap savings pay for the dead space in year 2.

I think the assumption is just that if you create the space, you're going to use it (as in the immediate season). 

I do find this tactic for the special circumstance that is next year intriguing though (restructuring, not using, creating a small cap inflation the following year). I hadn't considered that, so that was an awesome catch by you.  Wouldn't have done it with ford most likely, but weird times call for weird measures and there aren't many other options

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Cyprien released....always seem to be a player or two off with my final 53

Most surprising one I guess, considering reports were that he was just flat out better than Harris once he signed. 

Harris is just like this weird itch that won't go away. Every year he seems to lose out but just sticks around

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Most surprising one I guess, considering reports were that he was just flat out better than Harris once he signed. 

Harris is just like this weird itch that won't go away. Every year he seems to lose out but just sticks around

Well I had both making it so there's that. Thought Cyprien would have made an excellent depth guy because Tartt always seems to get banged up and I don't trust Harris to start for an extended stretch. 

27 minutes ago, N4L said:

Not necessarily. We save 9.5 million this year, which rolls over. Next year Ford's signing bonus proration is basically 2m against the cap. So we created slightly less than 7.5 million in additional cap space next year with this move. 

Just want to emphasize this again. Really solid idea if the goal is to create money next year. If we had restructured next year, less years to amortize it over, and most know that I'm not a fan in creating ghost voidable years like we did with richburg to spread it further. It also let would have tied us to ford for an additional year past what we are tied to him now (haven't done the math to confirm). This option may have been best to create space with the least long term impact. I'd have to sit and break everything down for the years, but on the surface, this passes the smell test and would be a chess move

If the intention is to keep ford next year and they have already made that decision, this is a crafty way to create future space for next year

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So the team left one spot open. I've heard some say it is for Warner but I don't think so. If he gets activated, you release one of the current LBs. I mean is the team intending to go with six LBs week 1? Don’t think so. 

It seems weird, given you can pull up this year without issue

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So the team left one spot open. I've heard some say it is for Warner but I don't think so. If he gets activated, you release one of the current LBs. I mean is the team intending to go with six LBs week 1? Don’t think so. 

Well I only had six LBs on my final 53 so yes, I think its very plausible. I believe we only kept six LBs last year after final cuts as well. I mean how many LBs actually played last year outside of STs?? Warner, Kwon, Greenlaw and Al-Shaair....that was it. Maybe Nzeocha got on the field for a snap or two but those four guys are all we really need, barring injury.

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well I only had six LBs on my final 53 so yes, I think its very plausible. I believe we only kept six LBs last year after final cuts as well. I mean how many LBs actually played last year outside of STs?? Warner, Kwon, Greenlaw and Al-Shaair....that was it. Maybe Nzeocha got on the field for a snap or two but those four guys are all we really need, barring injury.

How can you forget nzeochas int last year!!!

Fwiw, I think we only went with 5 last year. I only went with five as well this year

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I knew there was some hype about DFF this year, but I'll admit that this threw me for sure that he made the roster

Thing is...I'm almost positive that DFF would have cleared waivers. He's a undersized WILL. That's why I felt Cyprien made more sense. Especially after he went public about not willing to be on the PS, which ultimately might have sealed his fate as well...

Edited by 757-NINER