Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

49ers released/waived S Jonathan Cyprien, DL Alex Barrett, WR River Cracraft, DL Darrion Daniels, LB Evan Foster, C Hroniss Grasu, TE MarQueis Gray, TE Chase Harrell, CB Tim Harris, RB JaMycal Hasty, FB Josh Hokit, WR Jauan Jennings, CB Dontae Johnson, OT Jaryd Jones-Smith, DE Dion Jordan, DE Cameron Malveaux, S Jared Mayden, WR Shawn Poindexter, OL Dakoda Shepley, OL William Sweet, DB Jamar Taylor, LB Joe Walker, and WR Kevin White.

https://www.49ers.com/news/49ers-53-man-roster-bosa-ford-kittle-garoppolo-deebo-mckinnon

Position by position breakdown above. No real surprises

Players i hope we can get on the PS: JaMychal Hasty, Josh Hokit, Chase Harrell,  Jauan Jennings, Dekoda Shepley, Darren Daniels, Tim Harris. Would also like Kevin White and Jonathan Cyprien for the veteran PS spots (i think we can have upto 6?) 

I also wanted Jamar Taylor for a veteran PS spot, but the fact that we released him a couple of days early means he probably wants a shot at the 53 instead...

Edited by 49ersfan

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Alright if we don't use the money this year, it basically just rolls over and we could still feasible cut him and there is no change

This is what I was trying to explain to you about Garoppolos contract. If you decide to cut them in year 2 and eat the dead space, the cap savings pay for the dead space in year 2.

If you cut them in year 3 you come out ahead, because a portion of the signing bonus has already counted against the cap in year 2, while the savings continue to roll (assuming you don't max out the cap, which we haven't/won't do) 

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Bingo. You don't restructure at this point to hand out extensions. This could have been done. This was a calculated move to go out and improve the roster right now....

Not necessarily. We save 9.5 million this year, which rolls over. Next year Ford's signing bonus proration is basically 2m against the cap. So we created slightly less than 7.5 million in additional cap space next year with this move. 

This move could very well simply be hedging against salary cap deflation risk next year. It could be a precursor to another move, but not necessarily. 

I am good with clowney, for the right price. Depth at that spot is always needed. He would do great here playing limited snaps where he will NEVER see a double team. If he is going to take less money, then why not here? I agree with forge that this does fit within the law of diminishing returns, and we don't necessarily need him, but we are very thin at edge and having a third player there would be great. 

Aaaand as I'm typing this clowney signs with Titans