Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Clowney is a very good player. Not great, but all the analytics folks rate him high and he would make this DL better. Great run defender on base downs and can rush from the inside in nickel downs. If possible, would love to sign him. 

He also disappears for long stretches, is easily hurt and nicked up constantly, doesn't get to the quarterback enough and I don't have a ton of care about his run defending in a high dollar situation. I'm not even all that concerned about it if he signs with the Saints. He's a splash signing with a bigger name than game. The fact that teams can't get a hold of him, can't get him in to take physicals...etc...I'm just tepid at best with him. We sign him, fine, whatever. I don't think you'll get a ton of value out of the signing for the cost in the end. 

LIS, at this point, it's like the Rams getting Sammy Watkins a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Shanny & Lynch have yet to show us that they value interior O-Line talent in their time here so I doubt this move was made to go out and sign a OG. Just doesn't fit their m.o. I think restructuring Compton instead of outright cutting him was telling that they're content with the interior at the moment. 

Which makes me giggle when you consider that it may have cost us a super bowl last year with Person getting his lunch stolen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

He also disappears for long stretches, is easily hurt and nicked up constantly, doesn't get to the quarterback enough and I don't have a ton of care about his run defending in a high dollar situation. I'm not even all that concerned about it if he signs with the Saints. He's a splash signing with a bigger name than game. The fact that teams can't get a hold of him, can't get him in to take physicals...etc...I'm just tepid at best with him. We sign him, fine, whatever. I don't think you'll get a ton of value out of the signing for the cost in the end. 

LIS, at this point, it's like the Rams getting Sammy Watkins a couple of years ago. 

I get all that. I was the one who was saying he wasn't a top tier edge defender and that Houston should trade him instead of resigning him. 

But alot of those concerns you listed can be nullified playing on this line. Him playing less snaps, not having to be the focal point of the pass-rush, allowing him to play alongside other elite defenders can only help him be at his peak for us.

Not saying him coming here guarantees our defense will be elite again. But its hard to argue that adding his talent doesn't move the needle in that direction. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

The disappears part is strictly to him not getting sacks. He always is a top notch run defender and has a good pass rush win rate. Definitely a plus player that can help a team get over the hump. 

56 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Suprised we restructured Ford before Jimmy G. 

I'ma be honest i don't think Kyle trusts Jimmy long term. I think he wants to be flexible if they find someone better then can move on. If Jimmy doesn't take the next step wouldn't surprise me if they move him or cut him. Now I don't believe they should personally.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, it's likely just opening up cap flexibility in the immediate present without any specific move in mind. 

Or we could be doing this now just to makes NO have to respond and make corresponding moves to increase their offer to him. And that may keep him out of their number range. Chess...not checkers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The disappears part is strictly to him not getting sacks. He always is a top notch run defender and has a good pass rush win rate. Definitely a plus player that can help a team get over the hump. 

Well, that's the thing. I don't think he puts anyone over the hump. Thats my problem with him. That's why I think it's not great value as a signing, and I don't think that it significantly impacts or changes our odds of winning a super bowl to be honest. 

I'm not saying that he's a bad player. I think he's pretty good. But given that we are a team with a limited window and cap problems, I Do not see this as being an efficient use of cap space for the team.

24 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Or we could be doing this now just to makes NO have to respond and make corresponding moves to increase their offer to him. And that may keep him out of their number range. Chess...not checkers.

This would be the greatest thing ever 

• Like 1