Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

5 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Didn’t some post yesterday that Sanu was released? If so, come on down! Lol 

It made a lot of sense given our interest last year, his familiarity with Shanny, and the receiver injuries, but with news coming out that Deebo, Aiyuk are both expected to be fine for week 1, Richie James coming off NFI...I think the receiver position is fine. I'd be surprised if we put in a call at this juncture. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Yeah, but at what cost? Lynch already said we are up against the cap. Im not against it, it would come at the expense of White or Jennings most likely and Sanu does know the offense.

We are fine on cap, especially to get someone like Sanu for a year. He said we were out of cash, which is interesting. But with the receivers getting back healthy for the start, we just don't need him. I could see this if Deebo or Aiyuk and whomever else weren't thought to be healthy starting the season, which would likely require a bigger set back from Deebo because we aren't going to put him in PUP unless we have to. Given the news from last night and today about the receivers expected to be okay, I think we are fine. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

....and now Tavon Austin to IR, done for. the year....we cant catch a break when it comes to WR injuries. Looks like Kevin White may have a shot of making it after all. Deebo, Aiyuk, Taylor, Bourne, James, Pettis...Jennings or White?

Those are the only WRs who need to make the roster tbh. Jennings should be safe on the PS. We only need six...seven would be overkill imo. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

We are fine on cap, especially to get someone like Sanu for a year. He said we were out of cash, which is interesting. But with the receivers getting back healthy for the start, we just don't need him. I could see this if Deebo or Aiyuk and whomever else weren't thought to be healthy starting the season, which would likely require a bigger set back from Deebo because we aren't going to put him in PUP unless we have to. Given the news from last night and today about the receivers expected to be okay, I think we are fine. 

The previous journalist didnt post the full quote RE: Cash & Cap

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

The previous journalist didnt post the full quote RE: Cash & Cap

Even still, listen to his wording: "We've got a salary cap". Not "the league has a cap" or "we don't have cap room" or anything like that. In fact, last I heard, we have like 8 million in space this year, which is not "up against it". I mean, not great, but not a problem. 

I think it's entirely possible that they are being restricted by ownership and have their own internal max budget, which totally makes sense given the situation. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Any chance he could be a Juice replacement next season?

No, he's a TE, and everything I've head on him is insanely promising. Kittle said that he was further along in his run blocking than Kittle was his rookie year. Reports were he was really good in receiving drills; high pointing balls, making catches, etc. 

Hokit is the guy who could be juice replacement (he or Helm, whomever actually makes the PS) 

9 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Some of us (including myself) said as much when he was drafted but I don't think he's good enough with the ball in his hands to be a true FB in this system. 

The thing with Juice is he's athletically fluid in whatever he does....blocking, running the ball or as a pass-catcher. That's not really Woerner. He seems to be more of blocking TE at this point. 

I think either Hokit or Harrell make more sense as the heir apparent or possible Juice replacement.

Edited by 757-NINER

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Looks like Williams should be a go for week 1. 

This actually somewhat surprises me given the hamstring tweak on Verrett. Taylor, from what I understand, had exclusively played the slot in camp, and the idea would be that Verrett would be inside / outside, so I guess we are definitely not viewing that as serious. 

My guess is Taylor gets cut, either gets the vet PS spot (I find this unlikely given the timing...we probably wanted to give him a legit shot at finding another job before the craziness), or we hope that he remains unsigned and once Verrett inevitably ends up on IR, we bring him back in. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

No, he's a TE, and everything I've head on him is insanely promising. Kittle said that he was further along in his run blocking than Kittle was his rookie year. Reports were he was really good in receiving drills; high pointing balls, making catches, etc. 

Hokit is the guy who could be juice replacement (he or Helm, whomever actually makes the PS) 

Pretty sure he’s already gone. I’m hoping we can sneak Hokit onto the PS. I’d definitely let Dwelley go if it meant not exposing Woerner to the waiver wires. 

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

Pretty sure he’s already gone. I’m hoping we can sneak Hokit onto the PS. I’d definitely let Dwelley go if it meant not exposing Woerner to the waiver wires. 

Oh, I hadn't seen that. Yeah, if he's gone, then it's Hokit 100% and I don't have a lot of concerns regarding him sticking to the PS. LIS earlier, I just don't think that there will be as much poaching this off season as there has been in the past. 

J brought up the tight end situation earlier, and I actually thought we'd keep Dwelley...I'm starting to flip on that. I'm like 50 / 50 that we carry 4 tight ends (Kittle / Reed / Woerner / Dwelley) or 3, but if we carry three, I think Dwelley is the odd man out. They could still PS him, but Harrell may get that, and I think you only want to have so many TE / FB types taking up spots lol. 

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

Oh, I hadn't seen that. Yeah, if he's gone, then it's Hokit 100% and I don't have a lot of concerns regarding him sticking to the PS. LIS earlier, I just don't think that there will be as much poaching this off season as there has been in the past. 

J brought up the tight end situation earlier, and I actually thought we'd keep Dwelley...I'm starting to flip on that. I'm like 50 / 50 that we carry 4 tight ends (Kittle / Reed / Woerner / Dwelley) or 3, but if we carry three, I think Dwelley is the odd man out. They could still PS him, but Harrell may get that, and I think you only want to have so many TE / FB types taking up spots lol. 

I think we'll definitely carry 4 TEs. Kittle, Reed, Dwelley & Woerner I think are a pretty safe bet imo. With as much match-up problems as Shanny likes to create with the TEs, I think its a must we keep four. And being that no one should count on Reed for anything but being on the roster at this point, seems logically also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

In my opinion, no. He really struggled with blocking in space. He was a damn good inline blocker, but blocking in space is a different animal 

Would be great, but I just don't see it 

I also think he's too tall