Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

100% Brunskill. 

Now, if Garland can't go week one, then who gets the start at RG, McKvitz or Compton? 

I have to think it's McKivitz. My understanding is that he struggled in some of the 1 on 1 drills (rookies tend to) but was fairly solid otherwise. Strong against Kinlaw in multiple opportunities. 

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Was Mckivitz playing at C I didn't hear that. 

I didn't hear it either lol 

Not something we would have heard about necessarily. They are trying to keep things under wraps this year 

It makes more sense to me to have brunskill play G, considering he is probably going to be the starter there full time, and then have a replacement player play C for a week or two until Garland/richburg come back, rather than put brunskill at C and then have to move him again 

15 minutes ago, N4L said:

I didn't hear it either lol 

Not something we would have heard about necessarily. They are trying to keep things under wraps this year 

It makes more sense to me to have brunskill play G, considering he is probably going to be the starter there full time, and then have a replacement player play C for a week or two until Garland/richburg come back, rather than put brunskill at C and then have to move him again 

No, it will be Brunskill at C and McKvitz at RG if Garland can't go week 1.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Our receivers are looking really, really rough. And that was before Samus got hurt. I'm not even sure he was ready to be the main guy. I would have liked another year of Sanders on the team. If Aiyuk is something that would be a bonus. Everyone else is either average to bad, or unknown since they've just been injured in their career. Looks like a bottom 5 unit to me as it stands though. Thank goodness for Kittle. 

Lamb should have been the pick js lol

4 hours ago, N4L said:

If I had to guess, I would say brunskill at G and mckivitz at C 

Nooooooo! McKivtiz shouldn't be playing center....like at all. I think it will be Brunskill@RG and he'll back-up@center as well. I think McK is the back-up@both guard spots for the time being.

Eric A. asks: I wonder if Joe Woods in Cleveland would have any interest in Ahkello Witherspoon?

At one point during the week, the 49ers were looking into trading Witherspoon and Witherspoon was aware of this. For one reason or another, that plan was scrapped. Maybe it was because Jason Verrett hurt his hamstring. Maybe it was because the 49ers didn’t get the right kind of nibbles. I don’t know.

Cleveland would have been an interesting destination because, as you note, Woods was the 49ers’ defensive backs coach a year ago and now runs the Browns defense. He is also fond of Witherspoon. The issue with Cleveland, however, is that Kevin Stefanski is the head coach. And last year, Stefanski was the Vikings’ offensive coordinator who helped get Witherspoon benched in the 49ers’ playoff opener.

As a group, I thought the 49ers cornerbacks played well in training camp. Emmanuel Moseley probably was the top guy, but Witherspoon wasn’t far behind. No doubt, they will have to call upon him this season. Will Witherspoon, who’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the season, be around next year? Probably not.

From Barrows mailbag.

Interesting, so they are looking to move Spoon or at least were looking to move him. So does Harris get the nod if that happens? It's very risky considering Verrett cannot be trusted and if Moseley or Sherman go down, the CB situation would look awfully shaky. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

From Barrows mailbag.

Interesting, so they are looking to move Spoon or at least were looking to move him. So does Harris get the nod if that happens? It's very risky considering Verrett cannot be trusted and Moseley or Sherman go down, the CV situation would look awfully shaky. 

Doesn't shock me. I actually thought a player for player trade for something like Spoon and Pat Elfein. Could see the logic for both teams for sure. Maybe we re-sign him next year on the cheap, but given  where he's going to start this season on the depth chart, I think his career in SF is largely done. 

Honestly, there are still same "name" corners just chilling on the market who may be very good in our scheme with our front. Like, I would totally take a shot on Trumaine Johnson at this point. Ross Cockrell is perfect for a cover 3 zone scheme (just have to be concerned about the injury histories). Prince Amukamara is back on the market, Brandon Carr (I mean, he was good enough last year all things considered given he'd be a depth player here). Mo Claiborne. Like there is a weird number of competent corners available and on the market (particularly when you account for the 49ers front helping them out) 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Doesn't shock me. I actually thought a player for player trade for something like Spoon and Pat Elfein. Could see the logic for both teams for sure. Maybe we re-sign him next year on the cheap, but given  where he's going to start this season on the depth chart, I think his career in SF is largely done. 

Honestly, there are still same "name" corners just chilling on the market who may be very good in our scheme with our front. Like, I would totally take a shot on Trumaine Johnson at this point. Ross Cockrell is perfect for a cover 3 zone scheme (just have to be concerned about the injury histories). Prince Amukamara is back on the market, Brandon Carr (I mean, he was good enough last year all things considered given he'd be a depth player here). Mo Claiborne. Like there is a weird number of competent corners available and on the market (particularly when you account for the 49ers front helping them out) 

Verrett from all reports had a strong close to camp so they probably felt good about the CB situation.  But you just cannot trust him to be healthy. So from that perspective it surprises me considering our depth isn't great if one of the starters go down. With Spoon? Our depth is pretty damn good. 

Player for player definitely is the way to go here. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

It does make me super curious on what other possible trade discussions we have had. Honestly, I've still been holding out hope that Coleman has been shopped....

I'm hoping we can trade for Josh Jackson from GB. Late round flyer on a guy who will look better in our scheme. I wish we can move Coleman rather have Hasty.

Edited by 49erurtaza

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

I'm hoping we can't trade for Josh Jackson from GB. Late round flyer on a guy who will look better in our scheme. I wish we can move Coleman rather have Hasty.

Jackson was for sure a guy I have interest in bringing in now. He was always a zone cover corner coming out of Iowa. He's got ball skills as well. The player for player trade I thought made a lot of sense for him earlier was Pettis, but I'm assuming that is not going to happen now. Jackson is said to be having a nice camp as they have now plopped him exclusively on the outside, so maybe he actually makes the team.