RB ROOM

LoganF89

So with Bryce Love cleared to go what are we going to be doing at RB

AP, Guice, Gibson, Love, Mckissic, Barber

My personal thought is that we keep 4. AP, Guice, Love, and Gibson..... while keeping those 4 I also think with the lack of WR depth we may see Gibson playing quite a bit in the slot with Steven Sims playing on the outside. Im hopeful that AGG can be our next Terry and solidify the #2 spot but thats a lot to ask.

Maybe we can end up trading Barber or Mckissic but I just dont see how they make the team.

RB: AP, Guice, Love , Gibson

WR: Terry, Sims, AGG, Gibson, Sims?

at the end of the day we are certainly going to have to sign another WR unless a UDFA shows out

1 hour ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I hate to say it.... but I do not think AP makes this team.

I can’t see a Ron Rivera team w/o Peterson’s leadership on the offensive side of the ball on it. Now, if Gruden was still our HC and Guice and Love stay healthy, I could see Peterson possibly being cut, but not with Rivera as HC. 

@LoganF89 I see us keeping 4 RBs & 5 WRs this year. 

In order of depth: Peterson, Guice, Love and McKissic.

I think Gibson will see some time at RB, but not much bc of the Harmon  injury. I agree with you that Gibson will be used mostly at WR and truthfully I’ve wanted them to do that since they drafted him. I think Gibson needs development in route running as Garçon did as a young WR, but if he works hard he could develop into a Garçon or Anquan Boldin type WR. A big bodied strong WR who frankly plays WR like a RB, especially after the catch, which is awesome.

WR1: Terry McLaurin

WR2: Steven Sims, Jr
Slot: Gibson or S. Sims

WR4: AGG - he or Gibson May start too, but I think if we don’t sign a FA that S. Sims will

WR5: I want Cam Sims to be the #5 Wr bc of his size. Quinn, Kidsy and the UDFAs like Isaiah Wright have a chance to shock us and make the team as S. Sims did last year. So, one of them could win this spot, and we may keep 6 WRs too, but I do think we keep 5 and I do think/hope that Cam Sims makes it as the 5th WR.

1 hour ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I hate to say it.... but I do not think AP makes this team.

If they are happy with the youth, then I think you try to hold onto him and trade him.  We can package him and alex smith together as 2 for 1 deal.

I could see us Keeping 5 HB depending on the WR room.If Love is anything like he was before the ACL he going to make team,healthy Guice makes team,Gibson is on as a 3rd rounder,I think AP is locked for leadership,and I think the coaches really like McKissic and Barber

• Like 1

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

If they are happy with the youth, then I think you try to hold onto him and trade him.  We can package him and alex smith together as 2 for 1 deal.

1. We can’t rely on Guice or Love to stay healthy, we haven’t had either of them healthy since we drafted them.

2. I don’t think it’s possible at all to trade Alex Smith, he has no value to any team other than as a mentor to a young QB as a back up and his cap number & the rest of his contract almost guarantee that no team would trade for him. 

3. I guess maybe, maybe Peterson is trade-able if a team lost its #1 running back for the season - like the Cardinals did in 2017 when they traded a 6th to the Saints for Peterson after David Johnson tore his ACL - but, I think that would be the only scenario.

Let’s not forget that in 2018 Adrian Peterson remained a free agent until the season almost started bc teams already had younger running backs they liked and most had good or even great starters. And, we didn’t sign Peterson until Guice tore his ACL and was lost for the season.

Edited by turtle28

They should probably release Peyton Barber now. As much as a favor to him than anything else. With Love being cleared and ready to go, I just can’t envision a likely scenario where Barber makes the team — unless they cut AD instead. 

Guice should get the lion’s share of carries for as long as he’s healthy. Peterson will probably get plenty of carries (because he’s Peterson). McKissic and Gibson will both be used in most of the passing situations, which is clearly a focal point for Turner.

That leaves Love and Barber. And if we’re keeping a 5th RB, I just can’t see it being the older guy with more tread on the tires and a 3.6 YPC. Barber is a solid RB, but the upside is much higher with Love — overall, and on a play-to-play basis. We’re in a position as a franchise where we should absolutely be investing in high upside over low-ceiling reliability. 

• Like 1

Just cut McKissick and Barber. It was so silly to pour this many resources into RB. And then you spend a third on Gibson as well? AP, Guice, Love and Gibson. That should be the RB room. And I personally would be transitioning Gibson to receiver. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

They should probably release Peyton Barber now. As much as a favor to him than anything else. With Love being cleared and ready to go, I just can’t envision a likely scenario where Barber makes the team — unless they cut AD instead. 

Guice should get the lion’s share of carries for as long as he’s healthy. Peterson will probably get plenty of carries (because he’s Peterson). McKissic and Gibson will both be used in most of the passing situations, which is clearly a focal point for Turner.

That leaves Love and Barber. And if we’re keeping a 5th RB, I just can’t see it being the older guy with more tread on the tires and a 3.6 YPC. Barber is a solid RB, but the upside is much higher with Love — overall, and on a play-to-play basis. We’re in a position as a franchise where we should absolutely be investing in high upside over low-ceiling reliability. 

I’d hold onto Baber in case a team has an injury at RB, they may be able to trade him for a late round conditional pick if another team needs him due to injury.

I also have to wonder if they signed him with the idea of having him play fullback. To my knowledge they have not signed a FB unless they have the idea of playing Thad Moss at FB/H-back, which I would do and they may do.

Barber wouldn’t be a big full back (5’11, 225), but he is a tough inside runner and I do think he could do the job as a lead blocker.

45 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Just cut McKissick and Barber. It was so silly to pour this many resources into RB. And then you spend a third on Gibson as well? AP, Guice, Love and Gibson. That should be the RB room. And I personally would be transitioning Gibson to receiver. 

Well, they didn’t know they’d be able to draft Gibson when they signed Barber & McKissic. Also as you said, they could be and should be transitioning Gibson to WR, especially since Harmon tore his ACL.

Baber is the head scratcher to me - I didn’t understand that signing - McKissic I did bc he’s a Chris Thompson type that we can use in the passing game. As I said to E though, I think Baber is just insurance and I wouldn’t cut him bc we may be able to trade him for a late round conditional pick if a team has an injury or, they may be transitioning Barber to FB. They didn’t sign a true FB in FA or as an UDFA so, they may be thinking of using him at FB or Thad Moss there.

Rivera has too much respect for veterans to cut AP at this point unless it is clear that he's lost two steps.  

Love is secure, as is Gibson.  

Guice has a spot if he is healthy.  But if he gets hurt this pre-season, he might be on the chopping block, especially if this is another knee injury.  

They view McKissic as McCaffrey-lite as a receiving weapon.  With the WR room being light, he and Gibson will help there.  

Peyton Barber is probably not making this roster unless AP loses two steps and another injury happens to someone. 

• Like 2

When position coaches say things like this about players, it makes you think it’s almost a guarantee they’ll make the team and have a roll in the offense.

I continue to this we keep 4 RBs and Gibson will play more WR than RB - or at least I hope that.

Peterson: 200 carries, 800 yds, 8 TDs

20 recs, 160 yds 

Guice: 150 carries, 700 yds, 5 TDs
30 recs, 250 yds

Love: 75 carries, 400 yds, 2 TDs
10 recs, 75 yds

McKissic: 35 carries, 175 yds

35 recs, 325 yds, 1 TD 

Gibson (more WR than RB plays): 20 carries, 100 yds

35 recs, 400 yds, 3 TDs

Edited by turtle28

IMO Barber was signed bc of the question marks with Loves health. 

going into the draft I think the team planned on keeping 4 RBs (Guice, AP, Mkcissic,Barber) I believe they planned to have Barber as Insurance Incase Love couldn’t start out on the team and Guice got hurt so they could roll with AP, Barber, and then Mckissic in a passing down roll.

Then the draft comes and Gibson is there, they draft him. So with all the running backs healthy and can potentially start the season now we have a log jam.

I would imagine Barber is cut. Although if they plan on making Gibson more of a WR due to Harmon getting hurt then you could possibly see Barber still making the team if they keep 4 RBs. Once again Insurance for Bryce and Derrius

as far as a fullback/Hback goes. I would love to see Thad Moss in that roll, he’s a hell of a blocker and catches everything, his routes just aren’t as polished. I see them keeping 4 TEs as well. Thad would probably be listed as a TE. It playing Hback. With that said with who is on the team right now I think they roll with (Thomas,Rogers,Moss,Wilson) I think Henteges and surprisingly sprinkle will be the odd men out. Even though I low key want Henteges in that 4th spot over Wilson. Wilson just has more upside.

with carrying 4 RBs and 4 TEs I think we only carry Two QBs (Haskins, Allen) Smith won’t play this year IMO and Montez will be a PT player

WR has to be (Terry,Sims,Gibson,AGG,C.Sims) Gibson I’m sure will get some plays at RB but you have to think he plays mostly WR, all depends on how AGG comes in. If he can come in and take over an outside spot then I think Sims slides back to the slot and Gibson gets more 3rd down back plays

• Like 1

@LoganF89

I have a hard time believing that both Sprinkle & Hentges don’t make the team. Sprinkle is the best blocking TE and I think Hentges is our second best blocking TE which almost guarantees one of them a spot I think even if say it’s Speinkle, he’s only in the game on definite run downs.

I think Rivera is going to want a good blocking TE for his offense and the other guys either aren’t that - or aren’t proven they can be that yet. I also think Hentges is a better blocker than our other TEs besides Sprinkle so if Sprinkle is a cut, I think Hentges makes it.

I’d like Wilson to make the team but honestly I think he’ll be a practice squad player. 

There’s an outside chance that Richard Rogers is cut too if he isn’t going to be the starter. I would think they’d want to keep a few of the young guys over him, unless he’s the starter.

The TEs who are almost locks to me though at Thomas & Sprinkle. Thomas as the top receiving option at TE and Sprinkle as the blocking TE.