College Players Opting Out Thread

RaidersAreOne

Locally they have moved high school football in my state to a spring sport starting in March or around that time.  Honestly college football maybe should do the same, but then obviously all the best players will sit out for the draft but looks like many could be doing exactly that this year, will see.

Kerry Martin S on West Virginia announced he is sitting out, along with Jacub Panasiuk DE on Michigan State who is going to redshirt the season apparently and just play next year.  Those guys are obviously not high end prospects but could be a ton coming up in the next few weeks.  

There is just no way one makes college kids play football when their classmates are not even on campus because of this thing.  

FBS college football can't afford to move to the spring. Too many smaller sports at those schools relying on football revenue.

Plus the concept of spring ball is still a " bird in hand is worth two in the bush" situation.

Edited by smokeybandit

7 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

FBS college football can't afford to move to the spring. Too many smaller sports at those schools relying on football revenue.

Plus the concept of spring ball is still a " bird in hand is worth two in the bush" situation.

How are you going to have revenue if no one is at the games?  Sure a little from TV but that is spread around via the conference.  Odd thing is a lot of college sports are afforded the luxury of competing just because of football revenue.  Some people hate the attention football gets, but it gives tons of student athletes the chance to compete in a sport that makes little to no money, and usually they get a scholarship out of the deal as well.  

Marvin Wilson on FSU had a neat quote.

"I didn't come back to sit out and just go prepare for the league," Wilson said ahead of Florida State's first practice during the coronavirus pandemic. "That's taking the easy way out. For me, personally, I feel like I have work to do here in Tallahassee."

"Finally getting back to the team and training at the stadium," Wilson said. "I feel like to opt out at this last minute when we've worked so hard, that would be disrespectful [to my teammates]."

Great mindset for him to have, but sadly it will be a waste because even if the season is started it will most likely not finish.  Clearly he along with a few others at Florida State want to build that thing and get back FSU back as a program but sadly might never get that chance.

• Like 1

Missouri Valley Conference in the FCS is waiting till Spring and so is the MAC conference.  

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29618021/missouri-valley-conference-eyeing-fcs-playoffs-opts-spring-season

Everyone else should really do the same, but then I assume all players going out for the draft would not participate because the draft would be during the season, not sure they would move the draft or who knows.  Looks like they are going to be all doing the same thing the MAC did potentially.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29629669/power-5-talking-no-fall-football

I'm guessing:

- 2021 draft locks (Lawrence, Fields, Rousseau, etc.) will opt out if the season is (likely) cancelled and/or delayed until the spring

- Guys who are mid-round picks and could improve their draft stock with on field play/have questions on their ability (ex. Miles Sanders after playing behind Saquon Barkley; a guy that had a great freshman year but then battled injuries/bad play in his sophomore year, etc.) will come back and play

- NFL may allow (or be forced to allow) guys from spring leagues to enter via supplemental draft in July

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29633697/heart-condition-linked-covid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

Apparently there is a Heart issue linked to COVID-19 and has been found in more than a few college football players, not to mention other potential long term effects from COVID-19.  So yeah if it comes down to fans enjoyment of the game and a young man dying because of this, yeah forget football.  I thought delay till spring was a better option and still is a chance, because they can cancel it at any point if things keep getting bad.    

Honestly the safest place in America right now is in the NBA bubble in Orlando.  That is pretty pathetic but is absolutely true, especially for athletes.  Colleges cannot do what the NBA has done, curious what the NFL will do because they cannot do what the NBA has done either in terms of numbers on a roster.  

20 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Many virus illnesses carry the risk of heart, brain and lung issues, including the common flu.  So it's not some brand new side effect that doctors have to figure out.

Yeah but clearly other illnesses did not shut down society like this one is, and big businesses do not just lose money for fun, it is actually a serious thing.  

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases, 12,469 deaths from H1N1 in the US.

In 2018-19 there were 35.5 million cases of influenza and 34,200 deaths in the US.

Not even been a year but out of 5.1 million cases (much less than those others mentioned) in the US of COVID-19, there has been 160,000+ deaths and rising.  So to compare it to say the flu or H1N1 like some do, yeah no.  

I love college football as much or more than arguably anyone that posts on here, but facts are the facts and if they have to delay and or cancel the season over having some die or spreading the virus more, yeah cancel and or delay it.  The outbreak numbers just in camps during the summer for college football is crazy compared to what the NBA is doing, and college football again cannot do what the NBA has done in terms of isolation.  

On 8/5/2020 at 9:28 AM, Tetsujin said:

I'm wondering, if we get a season in, some top guys who sit out get jumped by guys who end up playing.

Depends on the magnitude of the Opt-outs though right? Like if your a Tier 2 WR playing a team that lost its Top-2 CBs to Opting out and you torch that team, does that really make your stock better?

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Depends on the magnitude of the Opt-outs though right? Like if your a Tier 2 WR playing a team that lost its Top-2 CBs to Opting out and you torch that team, does that really make your stock better?

The player would be evaluated for such a thing when assessing their draft stock. 

• 3 weeks later...