Derrius Guice arrested & Released by Washington after Domestic Violence Charges

turtle28

12 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

It seems clear the Skins wouldn't have cut him if he was an important piece. Nonetheless, it’s good to see him cut.

With everything going on with sexual harassment accusations at Washington’s headquarters, I would hope they’d cut anyone with these charges on them, and this wasn’t an isolated case, it was 3 times.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Gotta say, I predicted a little bit ago that Guice could be the odd man out, and thought the same thing in the RB Room thread if he got hurt again.  I didn't think it would be like this.  

It's a no brainer to cut him right now.  Three separate incidents where he is being charged, including one felony.  The NFL treats this a lot more harshly than they used to, and rightfully so.  The team were made aware of the investigation Thursday (started since July 22nd), excused him from all team activities until they could do more investigation.  They alerted to the NFL and they both found out about the charges this afternoon, where they promptly released him.  Given what the team just went through, letting him stay on the club until Guice had his day in court was not going to happen.  

It's pretty damn hypocritical that Latimer is still here, as well as Peterson and Foster being in the building too.  I can't defend either of those. 

Even if Guice is not guilty, I don't see him being picked back up with his knees that are shot.  His career is likely finished. 

I predict CFL or XFL for Guice. Only way he’ll make it back into the NFL is if he has a few years with no issues off the field and he stays healthy.

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Five charges over three dates including one felony.  With his knees the way they are, I have a feeling his career is done even after fighting this and he gets a not guilty.

Ray Rice never got a second chance and this looks pretty comparable, and Rice had a much better NFL career.  Peterson is a bit of a different situation but I believe he probably should have had more of a penalty.  If that happened today, he probably does have more of a punishment than he did back then.  

Now we've gotta get back to the rules.  

Ray Rice was set financially, Guice isn’t. Rice was also near 30 if I remember correctly which is the end date for most rbs and he was coming off a down year. 

Guice is going to have to go to another league to prove himself and to earn a living playing football. Rice didn’t have to play football anymore to be set for life, he already was set.

It’s not an equal comparison.

The right move from a PR perspective.  And if the accusations are true, good riddance.  I do wonder how much the fact that he hurt his knee again only a couple of days ago factored into this.  I guess it depends on the severity... but it's still a sign that it'd be foolish to rely on this guy long-term.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The right move from a PR perspective.  And if the accusations are true, good riddance.  I do wonder how much the fact that he hurt his knee again only a couple of days ago factored into this.  I guess it depends on the severity... but it's still a sign that it'd be foolish to rely on this guy long-term.

I keep hearing he hurt his knee again, I’ve seen no where that it’s from an actual reputable source.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Ray Rice was set financially, Guice isn’t. Rice was also near 30 if I remember correctly which is the end date for most rbs and he was coming off a down year. 

Guice is going to have to go to another league to prove himself and to earn a living playing football. Rice didn’t have to play football anymore to be set for life, he already was set.

It’s not an equal comparison.

Guice earned close to $3m in 2 years. If he's smart with his money, he's at least set for retirement, easily. But yeah, between now and then, he's gotta find a job

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Guice earned close to $3m in 2 years. If he's smart with his money, he's at least set for retirement, easily. But yeah, between now and then, he's gotta find a job

That’s fair, but Ray Rice’s net worth is $14 million.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nfl/ray-rice-net-worth/%3famp=1

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Fortunately we do have depth at R B .

Unfortunately he could be a monster when healthy and it is a loss of talent .

Coulda seen it coming from his college resume' though.

Kid is an idiot. Sad 😟 

Oh, he’s a monster alright...

I look forward to the Bryce Love era. Let’s face it Guice was all hype and little substance. We can’t worry about what his future may be, we have to hope Love reaches his pre ACL tear production/potential and that Gibson proves to be a versatile weapon out of the backfield and as a WR.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Oh, he’s a monster alright...

I look forward to the Bryce Love era. Let’s face it Guice was all hype and little substance. We can’t worry about what his future may be, we have to hope Love reaches his pre ACL tear production/potential and that Gibson proves to be a versatile weapon out of the backfield and as a WR.

I agree in that I am looking forward to see what Love has, but I disagree in that I actually did think Guice was a real talent.  The majority of times he touched the ball, he showed us something.  That says something.  The injuries of course are unpredictable and in that sense he may have turned into a bust.  In that regards, maybe you can put him in the RG3 category of no matter how talented he is, he will never overcome his injury issues. 

I still there will be a good chance we will see Guice on another team, next season.  I wouldn't compare him to Ray Rice.  The circumstances there were very special because I think he might have been the first player to get caught committing this type of crime on video.  These days, even video doesn't preclude a player from getting a second chance.  See Kareem Hunt. 

56 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I agree in that I am looking forward to see what Love has, but I disagree in that I actually did think Guice was a real talent.  The majority of times he touched the ball, he showed us something.  That says something.  The injuries of course are unpredictable and in that sense he may have turned into a bust.  In that regards, maybe you can put him in the RG3 category of no matter how talented he is, he will never overcome his injury issues

Totally agree with you. 

Agree he’s a bust of a pick now, and also agree that he never gave us much in the way of production due to the knee injuries. 

But the kid was special when he was on the field. On sheer ability, he’s the best back I’ve seen in a Redskins uniform since Portis. That includes the aging Peterson and it even includes Alfred Morris, who I really loved and who put up huge production for us for those couple seasons, but was also absolutely the definition of a system back. Guice could do it all, and it really upsets me that someone with all that talent is now watching his career go down the tubes because of injuries and apparently despicable behavior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I agree in that I am looking forward to see what Love has, but I disagree in that I actually did think Guice was a real talent.  The majority of times he touched the ball, he showed us something.  That says something.  The injuries of course are unpredictable and in that sense he may have turned into a bust.  In that regards, maybe you can put him in the RG3 category of no matter how talented he is, he will never overcome his injury issues. 

I still there will be a good chance we will see Guice on another team, next season.  I wouldn't compare him to Ray Rice.  The circumstances there were very special because I think he might have been the first player to get caught committing this type of crime on video.  These days, even video doesn't preclude a player from getting a second chance.  See Kareem Hunt. 

I didn’t mean he wasn’t talented. I was just trying to say we had the hype for a few years that he was going to be amazing but he would get hurt. 

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

He never got surgery on the knee in college that ultimately had the ACL tear, and then he sprained the MCL at the end of the season.  They rushed him back and caused the right knee injury.  So most of the knee problems can go back to Guice potentially not having the surgery to fix the left knee because it was weakened from the hyperextension.  Gruden had no reason to rush Guice back for Week 1 before he was healthy.  Peterson was a healthy scratch and never should have been- he should have started the season, and had Guice slowly take more touches from him as the season went on.  I hope we do the same with Bryce Love this year, get him involved slowly. 

Sure, the comparison to Ray Rice might not be apples to apples as far as what happened, but the NFL takes domestic violence issues very seriously now.  Being charged with a felony is something that no team is going to want to touch right now.  Add in the knees, and as @turtle28 has said, Guice might have to prove in the CFL or XFL that he still has it. This is probably the extent to which we can discuss this as per the site rules to stick to football.