College Football and Covid19 (Cancellations, Postponements etc)

candyman93

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I hadn't heard anything about this either, and it's obviously not just you, but yeah man like 5 minutes of casual internet stalking and it's pretty clear his family and friends are just awaiting all of the boxes you check when someone dies before a cause of death gets attributed.

Going right to "the narrative" was bad. Which was obviously the part of your post I objected with.

You know as well as I do that the answer to this question is that the college aged kids may not die directly in droves, but they will expose, infect, and kill others accidentally, because they're college kids and because the logistics of hosting a football game involves tons of people, many of whom are not 18-23.

I do fully understand that point.

My counterpoint is...

For anyone at a college or Univ...

Treat it and the surrounding bars as their own bubble more or less.  Don't go home to see your family

If you limit the outsiders entering their domain, let these fools do what they want to do (as they will anyways).

The off campus bars is the issue, but if the people with common sense (older / mature / etc), avoid those places..eventually in theory, won't the virus die down, as everyone contracts and gets over it?

The older faculty are the issue...that's where the presidents and their legal staff should be justifying their worth and bloated salaries

3 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

I do fully understand that point.

My counterpoint is...

For anyone at a college or Univ...

Treat it and the surrounding bars as their own bubble more or less.  Don't go home to see your family

If you limit the outsiders entering their domain, let these fools do what they want to do (as they will anyways).

Sure, the bubble idea. I get why people want to apply it, and tbh, if all other students were all gone and we could stick the athletes in their own dorm on their own, I could see it. But if these kids are going to in person classes, how many people are they coming into close enough contact with a day? 20? 50? 100? And they might not see their parents, or head to a bar, but some other student on the campus will.

This is different in the NBA where you can just lock James Harden in a room with 4 strippers and some edibles for the duration of the playoffs. Ultimately, the feasibility of this is governed by how many interactions each player has each day, and colleges don't seem to have a way to reduce that number.

5 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

The off campus bars is the issue, but if the people with common sense (older / mature / etc), avoid those places..eventually in theory, won't the virus die down, as everyone contracts and gets over it?

In order for everyone to contract and get over it, people are going to get sick and die. The herd immunity strategy isn't viable here.

• Like 1

Pretty fair representation of American history too.

- The South is brash and rushes into things without care of those impacted.

-The Midwest wants to do the right thing but usually ends up bungling it.

- The West is more thoughtful, innovative, and does things right when the data supports it. 

Edited by Oregon Ducks

4 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Pretty fair representation of American history too.

- The South is brash and rushes into things without care of those impacted.

-The Midwest wants to do the right thing but usually ends up bungling it.

- The West is more thoughtful, innovative, and does things right when the data supports it. 

LOL

• Like 3