Official FF BMET - Romance Bracket Round 1 Part 1

Deadpulse

Romance Round 1 Part 1  

25 members have voted

1. 1. 1980s vs 1950s

• The Princess Bride (1)
    • The King and I (8)
  2. 2. 1960s vs 2000s

• Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (7)
    • Breakfast at Tiffany's (2)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/2020 at 08:00 PM

15 minutes ago, scar988 said:

All true romance movies are terrible, awful movies. What's your point?

I mean, if you have this take, but are wondering why Eternal Sunshin beat out all the "true romance movies," I think you're kind of answering your own question.

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, if you have this take, but are wondering why Eternal Sunshin beat out all the "true romance movies," I think you're kind of answering your own question.

Eternal Sunshine is pretty awful though. If we wanted to go with something that's not exactly a romance movie, why didn't A Knight's Tale win?

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Eternal Sunshine is pretty awful though. If we wanted to go with something that's not exactly a romance movie, why didn't A Knight's Tale win?

Chaucer rolled over his grave at a high enough rate to power a wind turbine when that was released, and that killed its momentum.

4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

While she isn't a legend like Audrey Hupburn, Robin Wright has a nice list of movies and TV that she's been a part of:

The Princess Bride
State of Grace
Toys
Forrest Gump
Unbreakable
State of Play
The Conspirator
Moneyball
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
House of Cards
Wonder Woman/Justice League/Zack Snyder's Justice League
Blade Runner 2049

And she was the ***** girlfriend/wife/boss or whatever in most of those movies outside of what, The Princess Bride.  Main love interest in Robin Wright, any of you dudes have any Robin Wright posters hanging up in your rooms?  Exactly, main love interest in a romantic film, what a joke.  Oh and she is not even a main actress in any film she has been in honestly, just a side piece, real talent there, great job.  PS Blade Runner 2049 sucked.  I compare the two because one is about to lose and the other is just sailing by.

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Well they are on opposite sides of the bracket right now, so no, no one except you is doing that lol

True but my darling Audrey is about to lose so it is quite relevant, when main love interest Robin Wright is just sailing through no problem, that is the problem.  

7 hours ago, Malfatron said:

I do agree that Robin Wright wasnt the highlight of the Princess Bride, but who cares?

Is that not the point of a romance from an obvious male perspective?  Have a love interest that is actually interesting and lovely?  Maybe you are all chicks and that is why you love The Princess Bride, because it sure is not for Robin Wright.  And Audrey is just tossed to the side as if she is nothing, wow.  A romance film without an amazing female romantic love interest, I do not get it.  

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but my darling Audrey is about to lose so it is quite relevant, when main love interest Robin Wright is just sailing through no problem, that is the problem.  

well, if Breakfast at Tiffanys went up against the King and I, the former would likely win

• Like 2

10 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Robin Wright, better known nowadays for House of Cards.  She's not some no name actress.

She is a FAR cry from Audrey Hepburn though.  Breakfast at Tiffany's was a good movie, but I've always thought Sabrina was a better romance.  The movies nominated in this bracket are pretty weak overall, IMHO.

Edited by Uncle Buck

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

She is a FAR cry from Audrey Hepburn though.  Breakfast at Tiffany's was a good movie, but I've always thought Sabrina was a better romance.  The movies nominated in this bracket are pretty weak overall, IMHO.

And the Breakfast/Eternal Sunshine side of the bracket is really gonna be the also ran anyway.

Casablanca or Princess Bride are winning this category 100%.

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I agree she's nowhere close to a legend like Hepburn, but it doesn't mean the movie was any better.  For myself, I've never seen a single Audrey Hepburn movie, so that will definitely color my voting, which is another problem older movies will have in this tournament, just haven't been seen as much.

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Is that not the point of a romance from an obvious male perspective?  Have a love interest that is actually interesting and lovely?  Maybe you are all chicks and that is why you love The Princess Bride, because it sure is not for Robin Wright.  And Audrey is just tossed to the side as if she is nothing, wow.  A romance film without an amazing female romantic love interest, I do not get it.  

I see the real problem here. You're a misogynist. It's all about how hot the girl is in the movie for you. Has nothing to do with the actual content of the film. And honestly, Breakfast at Tiffany's shouldn't have won it's decade. The Graduate was a much better film.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scar988 said:

I see the real problem here. You're a misogynist. It's all about how hot the girl is in the movie for you. Has nothing to do with the actual content of the film. And honestly, Breakfast at Tiffany's shouldn't have won it's decade. The Graduate was a much better film.

So liking Audrey Hepburn and greatly disliking Robin Wright makes me hate women?  Great logic there.  You hate romantic movies and have said you hate them, so you are some authority on romance?  Ok.  

If the audience cannot relate/identify/sympathize/ or feel any sense of affection towards a character how is that supposed to work in conveying romantic feelings in a romantic film?  Clearly many here do not like romances and do not watch romances and are probably not very romantic themselves.  Being most likely a bunch of 20-40 year old dudes I assume not surprising,  I said my opinion, Audrey Hepburn is amazing and Robin Wright is not.  Do looks come into play, yeah but so does acting and relatability and someone is clearly playing a beotch in films because she comes off as one, Robin Wright. Sure it is about the film but the lack of having an elite female romantic lead in a romance is a deal breaker for me.

The Graduate I am sure people might like because it is from a male perspective, but last time I checked a great romance does not include sleeping with an older woman when you are a young man, then wanting to get with her daughter later on.  Sure might be a male fantasy for many but I would not call that a well rounded or universal romance.  Is it better than The Princess Bride, damn right it is.