Final Roster Cuts/Moves Thread

e16bball

1 minute ago, Woz said:

I'm getting more confused.

Are you in favor of him being retained, which is what happened?
Would you have rather seem him released outright? I know I would have, but I can understand the logic in keeping him on IR, even if he cannot help you this year at all now. He might be willing to take a league minimum deal (or something equivalently low rent over a couple of years) in hopes of actually playing before getting one shot at a big money deal (hopefully somewhere else).

I guess I am not sure what you wanted to see happen. He isn't going to see the field. He gets a chance at rehabilitating his injury further. He gets to stay in the building. He might actually give the team some sort of value next year. They were going to have to pay him anyway due to his first round contract being guaranteed.

So what's the issue? I'm honestly missing something here.

I have no issue in what they did with Harmon other than not replacing him with a reliable WR2 to go with Mclaruin. Sims Jr isn't that and neither is anyone currently on the roster. Yet Haskins has to be replaced if Mclaruin is still the only valuable option on offense. How is Laurence gonna change that? 

2 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

What's something Woz? Really? A pick, A Win, A draft pick, A play. What's something? Explain in detail. 

Some coaching/mentoring for the young QBs they have, who between them have a season and a quarter's worth of starts.

A guy who thinks he can still play, who the coaches see as someone who has a keen understanding of the game, and think that in the absolute worst case, they have someone who can do better at marshalling the team than Logan Thomas can.

I suppose they think that he's further along in recovery than Foster is and has the possibility of contributing this year in an emergency case. I don't agree, but then again, I wouldn't have let him get off the PUP if I could have prevented it.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Some coaching/mentoring for the young QBs they have, who between them have a season and a quarter's worth of starts.

A guy who thinks he can still play, who the coaches see as someone who has a keen understanding of the game, and think that in the absolute worst case, they have someone who can do better at marshalling the team than Logan Thomas can.

I suppose they think that he's further along in recovery than Foster is and has the possibility of contributing this year in an emergency case. I don't agree, but then again, I wouldn't have let him get off the PUP if I could have prevented it.

Smith couldn't do that from a IR position? 

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

I have no issue in what they did with Harmon other than not replacing him with a reliable WR2 to go with Mclaruin. Sims Jr isn't that and neither is anyone currently on the roster. Yet Haskins has to be replaced if Mclaruin is still the only valuable option on offense. How is Laurence gonna change that? 

1. I thought we were talking about Alex Smith and Reuben Foster. How did Trevor Lawrence get pulled into this conversation? I don't really follow college players and whether they are draft worthy until after the season is over.
  2. They did keep Dontrelle Inman. He has the best chance at being a #2 receiver, provided he can stay healthy. That is a big if, unfortunately. Rooting for him, as a former Cavalier.

Just checking here: are you confusing me with another poster? Because I'm pretty sure I have said nothing about Haskins this offseason, mainly because I haven't even been around for most of the season.

• Like 1

Just now, Skins212689 said:

Smith couldn't do that from a IR position? 

Don't know on that front. I haven't read the full CBA this go-around. It's possible if he were on IR, they couldn't let him into the meeting rooms or on the field for practices during the week.

Just now, Woz said:
  1. I thought we were talking about Alex Smith and Reuben Foster. How did Trevor Lawrence get pulled into this conversation? I don't really follow college players and whether they are draft worthy until after the season is over.
  2. They did keep Dontrelle Inman. He has the best chance at being a #2 receiver, provided he can stay healthy. That is a big if, unfortunately. Rooting for him, as a former Cavalier.

Just checking here: are you confusing me with another poster? Because I'm pretty sure I have said nothing about Haskins this offseason, mainly because I haven't even been around for most of the season.

Have fun with the back and forth. Hope you guys have fun with Lawrence who will have to deal with the same issues as Haskins. A 1 man show on a Professional Level.

Agree to Disagree! 

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Don't know on that front. I haven't read the full CBA this go-around. It's possible if he were on IR, they couldn't let him into the meeting rooms or on the field for practices during the week.

That's BS from my understanding. He's allowed the same Privilege as a Ruben Foster who can't play a down the Whole Season! 

29 minutes ago, Woz said:

That's not how I read it.

I think the way it works is "if you put someone on IR before 4PM on cut down day, they're done for the year. If you want to have them eligible to return, you have to put them on the main roster, hold them, and then you can put them on IR after all of the waivers clear."

This way, a team cannot park players before cutdown and bring them back a couple weeks into the season. If you want the guy, you have to put him on the active roster, or gamble that someone is going to pick him up off of waivers.

In other words, this is the whole system going forward. So, while Alex Smith made the roster, there's a strong possibility he'll be moved to IR in the near future to clear a position (but he'll be able to be recalled if they REALLY want to roll the dice with him).

Not sure where we're disagreeing here. Is your disagreement about my thoughts on why they shouldn't just be going by the same in-season rules? Because I agree on how they need to go about the new IR rules. I just am at a loss to understand why there are two versions of the IR rules for this season.

29 minutes ago, Woz said:

Who is this "YOU?" Me? I don't want the guy.

Washington? They kept him via the IR list. Would it have been better to have him make the final roster and say bump Khaleke Hudson, exposing him to waivers? That doesn't make sense if he cannot really play right now, right?

Foster (for possibly forcing his way off the PUP)? He took a chance, and it backfired. However, Washington kept him.

I'm honestly asking here.

Not worth the discussion man. He’ll move the goal post and even bring up a different point from way out in left field that has nothing to do with that you two are even discussing right now.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Not worth the discussion man. He’ll move the goal post and even bring up a different point from way out in left field that has nothing to do with that you two are even discussing right now.

No, admit your Truth. You want Lawrence to replace Haskins as the Washington Football Team QB. That's just your NFL Football Philosophy. It's all about the QB the other 52 men really don't matter.

29 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Have fun with the back and forth. Hope you guys have fun with Lawrence who will have to deal with the same issues as Haskins. A 1 man show on a Professional Level.

Agree to Disagree! 

Still confused as to how Trevor Lawrence comes into the picture. Again, I never mentioned him at all.

27 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

That's BS from my understanding. He's allowed the same Privilege as a Ruben Foster who can't play a down the Whole Season! 

I could easily be wrong (certainly has happened before).

Could be that they looked at the position of linebacker and said "you know, if we had to, we could get a replacement guy relatively easily, so let's just park Foster on IR full time ... makes it a bit easier to create the final 53."

Then, they looked at the position of quarterback and said "two years ago, we had Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson playing QB after them being on the roster for only a couple of weeks ... maybe we should just hedge our bets and keep Smith on the roster so we can activate him on a shorter notice if we truly need him. I hope that won't happen, but we didn't expect to be trotting out Butt Fumble at the end of the 2018 season either."

Honestly, I'm just speculating. I don't work for the franchise. I don't know why they activated either player from the PUP, but they did. I gave a possible scenario, but that's just me guessing. I don't know why they parked Foster for the rest of the year while keeping Smith active, but I've thrown out a couple of guesses. I suspect it's some combination of where each player is in their recovery, the players they have their respective position, and the likelihood of each player able to contribute something from the sidelines.

If it were me, I wouldn't have kept Foster at all (he would have been cut months if not years ago). I wouldn't have activated Smith off of the PUP unless truly forced by the NFLPA, and yes, I would have required them to file a grievance against me because I don't think he should be playing again with that injury. I want him able to walk with his kids. I might have even considered cutting Smith and eating the cap space because I don't want to see the guy get hurt further. However, that might have been too harsh and the team's PR reputation is absolute doggie doodoo, so I guess I would try to figure out a way to get something out of him (mentoring) and help with the feel good story even though I know he's never going to be under center again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

I could easily be wrong (certainly has happened before).

Could be that they looked at the position of linebacker and said "you know, if we had to, we could get a replacement guy relatively easily, so let's just park Foster on IR full time ... makes it a bit easier to create the final 53."

Then, they looked at the position of quarterback and said "two years ago, we had Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson playing QB after them being on the roster for only a couple of weeks ... maybe we should just hedge our bets and keep Smith on the roster so we can activate him on a shorter notice if we truly need him. I hope that won't happen, but we didn't expect to be trotting out Butt Fumble at the end of the 2018 season either."

Honestly, I'm just speculating. I don't work for the franchise. I don't know why they activated either player from the PUP, but they did. I gave a possible scenario, but that's just me guessing. I don't know why they parked Foster for the rest of the year while keeping Smith active, but I've thrown out a couple of guesses. I suspect it's some combination of where each player is in their recovery, the players they have their respective position, and the likelihood of each player able to contribute something from the sidelines.

If it were me, I wouldn't have kept Foster at all (he would have been cut months if not years ago). I wouldn't have activated Smith off of the PUP unless truly forced by the NFLPA, and yes, I would have required them to file a grievance against me because I don't think he should be playing again with that injury. I want him able to walk with his kids. I might have even considered cutting Smith and eating the cap space because I don't want to see the guy get hurt further. However, that might have been too harsh and the team's PR reputation is absolute doggie doodoo, so I guess I would try to figure out a way to get something out of him (mentoring) and help with the feel good story even though I know he's never going to be under center again.

Ok so look at it from the position o they could've easily added more weapons for this Young QB to work with. Yet they didn't so now all the pressure is on a 2nd year 1st year startet to fix all the mistakes of everyone else. I'm not buying that but I understand how the Cards are delt. Have fun with Lawrence. 

Edited by Skins212689

6 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

You don't have to mention him to say you wouldn't draft him if available to you. 

Umm, if it were up to me and Washington was up at the top of the draft again, I'm probably looking at a left tackle, not Lawrence. Or at least trade with Jacksonville

So, I'm kind of confused how me not mentioning him means that I would draft him when I probably wouldn't if I had the opportunity especially since I said I don't really think about draft eligible players until after the season is over. Lawrence could get hurt, get COVID, have a severe regression, decide to stay in school, or get involved in some sort of scandal that I want no part of. Then there's the question of what happens if the college season is abbreviated or canceled. Do I rely on a guy being out of the game for over a year? I'd rather take the safer option of a lineman.

• Like 1