Wide Receivers cut so far who we could sign

turtle28

On 9/8/2020 at 11:49 PM, turtle28 said:

Here’s the thing, if we had signed Cooper Terry & Cooper’s numbers would go down. There are only so many possession, yards & receptions to go around. You can’t just transplant Cooper’s Dallas #s over to Washington & it be the same.

So what if their stats go down. The goal is for the Team Wins to go up! With Cooper and Mclaruin together it gives the Team a better chance at Winning the Game. 

What is so hard to comprehend about that? 

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Interesting comparison. Brandon Lloyd had 25 catches for 379 yards in his two seasons here. 

Will be interesting to keep track of how Brandon Lloyd 2.0 manages to keep up with that level of performance. I think there’s an outside chance he may turn out to be better than the original.

I think Cooper is better than Lloyd and certainly is more mature. Gibbs wasn’t a fan of Lloyd’s attitude & practice habits that I remember. It really sucks that Lloyd didn’t act more mature or that Gibbs didn’t give Lloyd a little leeway bc I feel Lloyd could’ve been a 750 plus yard receiver here as the #2, keeping ARE in the slot. If we had that then our passing game would have been a lot more dynamic from 2006-2012 w/ Moss & Lloyd.

Oh well, didn't happen. Another one of those trade Cerrato did that Gibbs didn’t get involved in and then Gibbs didn’t end up liking the player.

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

So what if their stats go down. The goal is for the Team Wins to go up! With Cooper and Mclaruin together it gives the Team a better chance at Winning the Game. 

What is so hard to comprehend about that? 

Moreover, why would their stats necessarily go down?

Amari Cooper had 80 catches for almost 1200 yards last season. He was targeted 119 times.

He did this despite playing on a team with Michael Gallup (66/1107 on 113 targets), Randall Cobb (55/828 on 83 targets), and Jason Witten (63/529 on 83 targets). 

Having other quality targets opens up opportunities for top receivers. If opposing teams can just sit on you with double teams and rolled coverages, they can take you out of the game for the most part. McLaurin is probably going to learn a bit about that this season. When teams have to play you straight up, because there are too many quality weapons for them to key in on anybody, it’s easier for everyone to eat.

Do we have a group of primary receivers/TEs, other than Cooper, that would have to eat up 240 targets like Gallup/Cobb/Witten did last year? McLaurin had 93 last season, for reference. Give him an extra 1.5 targets per game and he’d match the amount of targets Gallup took from Amari last year. And I personally suspect the duo of Steven Sims and Logan Thomas wouldn’t have commanded close to the 165 targets that Cobb and Witten took from Amari last year...but I guess we’ll never know. 

10 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

What is wrong with some of you seriously. I get impression some want to argue or go back and forth just because. How is Cooper being compared Llyod like seriously?

Bradon Lloyd had 1 season over 1,000 yards receiving. He played 12 years in the NFL

Amari Cooper already has 3 seasons over 1,000 yards receiving. He's going into his 7 year in the NFL. 

I am arguing that paying Cooper all of that money when he has trouble with drops and focusing (being pulled from a game or pulling himself from a game where it's must win time........that wouldn't go over well with any of our fans) is not a good idea, very similar to how Brandon Lloyd got paid and didn't produce either.  I am not making any sort of comparison otherwise.  

21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I am arguing that paying Cooper all of that money when he has trouble with drops and focusing (being pulled from a game or pulling himself from a game where it's must win time........that wouldn't go over well with any of our fans) is not a good idea, very similar to how Brandon Lloyd got paid and didn't produce either.  I am not making any sort of comparison otherwise.  

Say that didn't sit well with you. 

Me and some other fans obviously disagree with you. 

Cooper isn't perfect just like All other player's. Yet he's already proven to be more Productive than a Brandon Lloyd. 

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Say that didn't sit well with you. 

Me and some other fans obviously disagree with you. 

Cooper isn't perfect just like All other player's. Yet he's already proven to be more Productive than a Brandon Lloyd. 

We will see how he does after getting paid.  Wouldn;t be the first player to start slacking off and he won't be the last if that does happen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We will see how he does after getting paid.  Wouldn;t be the first player to start slacking off and he won't be the last if that does happen. 

Dude your argument is weak. Look at all the players who just got paid this week. Are their GM's thinking like you? No! They are obviously doing what needs to be done to build a Super Bowl Contending Team. Not paying guys who put their bodies on the line and keep the sport going is totally oblivious to me. If anything you should hope The Washington Football Team organization takes some notes from these Winning organizations. 

45 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Dude your argument is weak. Look at all the players who just got paid this week. Are their GM's thinking like you? No! They are obviously doing what needs to be done to build a Super Bowl Contending Team. Not paying guys who put their bodies on the line and keep the sport going is totally oblivious to me. If anything you should hope The Washington Football Team organization takes some notes from these Winning organizations. 

But their paying guys they’ve seen in their teams building behind the scenes. For us to throw big money at outside free agent right now this offseason would have been ill advised. I am happy if anything Coopers money maybe got driven up without really serious intrest. They know what he is there. We have no idea what he would even translate into here. I’m all for paying for a good player to improve the team but let’s do that when we know we’re in actual contention with a core I believe next offseason we are more aggresive

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

But their paying guys they’ve seen in their teams building behind the scenes. For us to throw big money at outside free agent right now this offseason would have been ill advised. I am happy if anything Coopers money maybe got driven up without really serious intrest. They know what he is there. We have no idea what he would even translate into here. I’m all for paying for a good player to improve the team but let’s do that when we know we’re in actual contention with a core I believe next offseason we are more aggresive

Y'all don't want Super Bowls just say that and miss me with the excuses. 

Wtf you mean they didn't know what they were getting. Cooper proved himself the last 6 year's. Just like the guys who just got paid. Agree to Disagree with me before bringing up lame excuses. 

What more is Brandon Scherff or Ryan Kerragin got to prove as far as what they offer on the field? If Brandon stays healthy that only makes him worth more next year. Kerragin is hopefully gone or resigned to a much cheaper deal. 

As I said Washington needs to take notes from teams actually Winning. Those teams have signed Key Guys while also having money to pay the rest of team. Being Cheap ain't getting no Super Bowls. Being Cheap only will keep you consistently at the top of Draft! Asked the Browns about that before John Dorsey got there. And don't forget Why it's important to have a Good Scouting department. You Could ask the Browns that as well seeing all the Talent they passed up on in previous years. 

Edited by Skins212689

52 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

But their paying guys they’ve seen in their teams building behind the scenes. For us to throw big money at outside free agent right now this offseason would have been ill advised. I am happy if anything Coopers money maybe got driven up without really serious intrest. They know what he is there. We have no idea what he would even translate into here. I’m all for paying for a good player to improve the team but let’s do that when we know we’re in actual contention with a core I believe next offseason we are more aggressive.

That’s right, build a good team with youth first, when you’re close with that young group, add a few top vet free agents you think will get you over the top and make you a super bowl contender.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

If we had players worth extending, I would be all for it.  Outside of Scherff staying healthy, no one really deserves a contract extension right now.  

You also haven't answered my questions/concerns with Amari Cooper.  Last 2:30 of the season, and he either benched himself or his coach pulls him from the game.  He is amongst the league leaders in dropped passes every year.  One coach (Jon Gruden) has already given up on him.  Is he really worth the investment for this team, both now and for the future?  I say no.  

Spending money cautiously, not frivolously, is what needs to be done to build a Super Bowl contending team.  If you give our contracts to free agents left and right, you end up like our teams from 2004-2007.  Top heavy and with no depth when injuries hit. 

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s right, build a good team with youth first, when you’re close with that young group, add a few top vet free agents you think will get you over the top and make you a super bowl contender.

Emphasis on a few, especially if you are keeping a lot of your own players.  I like what @Woz says about one big contract an off-season, it just depends on if you are giving it to your guy, or someone in free agency.  But you have to focus on keeping your own top talent first. 

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I will say, WR is just a position that it is hard to strike gold in via the draft.  Every year we see a large percentage of first round busts at WR.  It seems like we did strike gold last year with TM.  It is one position I really like bringing in existing talent.

• Like 2

Just now, offbyone said:

I will say, WR is just a position that it is hard to strike gold in via the draft.  Every year we see a large percentage of first round busts at WR.  It seems like we did strike gold last year with TM.  It is one position I really like bringing in existing talent.

Ozzie Newsome's only failure as Ravens GM was his inability to hit on WR in the draft, but he still put up one of the best teams in the NFL over his tenure as their GM.  He spent on Anquan Boldin, and a few other guys.  Torrey Smith was his only real hit in the draft.  They also had strong play at TE as well.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If we had players worth extending, I would be all for it.  Outside of Scherff staying healthy, no one really deserves a contract extension right now.  

You also haven't answered my questions/concerns with Amari Cooper.  Last 2:30 of the season, and he either benched himself or his coach pulls him from the game.  He is amongst the league leaders in dropped passes every year.  One coach (Jon Gruden) has already given up on him.  Is he really worth the investment for this team, both now and for the future?  I say no.  

Spending money cautiously, not frivolously, is what needs to be done to build a Super Bowl contending team.  If you give our contracts to free agents left and right, you end up like our teams from 2004-2007.  Top heavy and with no depth when injuries hit. 

Cooper was benched 1 game, so just forget the rest of what he did his career? He drops passes just like other WR's. Yet he doesn't drop enough that stops him from contributing 3 1,000 yard seasons. So yes we disagree on Cooper. 

Scherff staying healthy 1 season doesn't disregard the other year's he was incapable of that. Yet your argument is the reason why he will get overpaid and end up back on the Injury List while getting paid in that new deal. 

I disagree with your Football Philosophy. You guy's won't have to worry about me much longer replying to some of y'all Non Winning Super Bowls Philosophies. 

Enjoy the continued losing in Washington. Start over again at QB in the 2021 draft and see how many Free Agents your gonna really attract after clearly showing you don't allow In Grown Talent to Grown if there not chosen by a particular Coach. 

You didn't Resign Cousins, You F'd up Griffin by keeping him in the game while up 14-0 against the Legion of Boom, and now Your replacing Haskins after 2 year's in the league. Who wants to come to a Team with that Philosophy? 

Edited by Skins212689