Week 5: VIKINGS (2-2) at Bears (1-3)

swede700

Just now, disaacs said:

Have you watched the rest of the NFL  The entire league is pretty much lackluster right now.  There has been some bad football for years, but it's getting worse, not better.  

Yes, but this is not just about the Vikings not looking sharp.

This is about them being outworked on game day.

Granted, I've only listened to the last couple of games, not watched them, but I'm not sure they are necessarily being outworked...they are making mistakes at critical times.  I don't think it's a lack of effort, because I believe they showed pretty good effort last night, but made mistakes on the fake punt and the tipped ball.  And offensively, they are going to be somewhat limited, but believe they did a good enough job last night against a well-coached Bears defense.  

The Vikes have been leaving a lot of Ints on the field the past two games. Barr should have had a pick 6 against Chicago. Alexander possibly last week. Games would look different if the Vikes were making these plays. The effort is there. I question the talent and ability to capitalize.

1 hour ago, milanb said:

Yes, but this is not just about the Vikings not looking sharp.

This is about them being outworked on game day.

Who specifically isn't working hard enough in your eyes? I'm genuinely curious, because I haven't seen it. Last year there was plenty of that going on in the late stages of the season, but I don't see it this year.

16 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Who specifically isn't working hard enough in your eyes? I'm genuinely curious, because I haven't seen it. Last year there was plenty of that going on in the late stages of the season, but I don't see it this year.

That's just it. I can't pinpoint any individual.

It's more a case where the Vikings got beaten convincingly at home by a somewhat less-talented Lions team and followed that effort with a narrow win against a much less-less talented Bears team that had a rookie QB making his first NFL start. Both the Lions and Bears looked hungrier out there, as a team.

2 minutes ago, milanb said:

It's more a case where the Vikings got beaten convincingly at home by a somewhat less-talented Lions team and followed that effort with a narrow win against a much less-less talented Bears team that had a rookie QB making his first NFL start. Both the Lions and Bears looked hungrier out there, as a team.

I'm not sure a TD difference constitutes a "convincing" victory, but maybe my definition is different.  I think they handled Detroit for the most part, but again, made critical mistakes at inopportune times.  It wasn't a case of lack of effort.  And yes, the Bears are far less talented, but there is just some mystique/voodoo that happens when the Vikings visit Soldier Field...just like when the Twins face the Yankees in baseball.  Outside of a few freak instances, once again, the Vikings pretty much handled the Bears.  For all the praise that Trubisky has been given, his statistics were not much different than Christian Ponder had in his first start, so take that for what it's worth.  

4 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

I fell asleep in the 2nd quarter, how bad is Stefon Diggs injury?

It appears to have been a groin injury, but that's all we know right now.  He still played sparingly later though, so it can't be massively serious.

Bad mistakes.

Too many penalties.

Tha'ts the 2017 Vikings so far. And this is about discipline - so coaching is to blame. We could be 4-1 easily now as the Lions game was very winnable. And if we did have given all practice reps to Keenum before Week 2, we might even be 5-0.

On the flip side: we never were outplayed. When we lost, we beat ourselves. So there's hope.

But we need to cut on those mental mistakes and on thos damn penalties. The defense is playing at a high level - DL is a little bit underwhelming as I expected a little more, but otherwise I'm happy with the defense.

Beat Green-Bay next week, and we are right there in the mix.

I hate how this offensive always seems to start off on its heels. 

On Cowherd's show yesterday he was praising all of the young QB's and their offensive minded head coaches (DAK, Wentz, Goff specifically). Part of me wonders if Zimmer will never quite figure out the offensive side of the equation and unfortunately have to be held accountable at some point. 

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes have been leaving a lot of Ints on the field the past two games. Barr should have had a pick 6 against Chicago. Alexander possibly last week. Games would look different if the Vikes were making these plays. The effort is there. I question the talent and ability to capitalize.

I think it's the other way around there but I agree. Can't keep passing on those opportunities. 

3 hours ago, milanb said:

Convinciningly? They lost by 7 points. I wouldn’t call any game where a team loses by a touchdown a convincing loss. The Lions looked pretty bad against the Vikings, the Vikings simply didn’t capitalize on their opportunities, whereas the Lions did. 

And the Bears has to pull out all of the tricks to score their points. I wouldn’t say they looked hungry at all. 

3 hours ago, PaulWall_23 said:

I hate how this offensive always seems to start off on its heels. 

On Cowherd's show yesterday he was praising all of the young QB's and their offensive minded head coaches (DAK, Wentz, Goff specifically). Part of me wonders if Zimmer will never quite figure out the offensive side of the equation and unfortunately have to be held accountable at some point. 

I think the biggest problem with the offense this year has been the lack of a healthy starting QB. I'm not that sure the offense has enough talent in general either.

2 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

I think the biggest problem with the offense this year has been the lack of a healthy starting QB. I'm not that sure the offense has enough talent in general either.

When Cook was healthy, I'd argue that the talent of the skill position players was quite good.

OL is subpar and the QB situation could be better.

Archived