Covid Season Week 1 GDT: JETS @BILLS

bigbadbuff

You guys added quite a bit of pages to this well before the game started so I was unable to read it all and sorry if people have stated or asked this.

This is what I expected to happen it could have been a blow out but because of things Bills constantly do they kept it reasonable to the point it kept the Jets in the game. I know it may sound negative or to harsh but I have several issues with this team that I just do not get. 1 Why is Daboll consistently putting Allen in situation he will fail at, the QB running is extremely not necessary and that is the reason 2 fumbles happened. Had this been a close game then this would have been a game we lost. That were two costly fumbles in the red zone, one being early on which could have sparked the Jets offense to do something. 2. The kicking is bad maybe cutting Hausch wasn't the right move and the idea of bringing him back even after 1 game may be a knee jerk reaction but those were chip shots, again had it been a close game those were costly mistakes putting the bills in a bad position. There is definitely a ton of cleaning up to be because with those costly mistakes the end of the game could have been 49-3 or 49-10. A 5 yard dump pass to Crowder with a horrible attempt at tackling him by Edmunds was very disappointing to see as that should be a simple stop and forcing the Jets to punt the ball but instead it turned in to a touchdown and putting them back in to the game. I know the run defense for the Jets was solid last year so I expected them to do the same this year which they did, they finally started doing the jet sweep in the 4th qtr with mckenzie when I was calling it in the 2nd qtr they need to do it because the interior dline can stop them but the outside was where you needed to go. 

The good was Josh Allen passing the ball he looked great at times however there are some key issues one being the wide open John Brown over the head in the endzone, the other was when Diggs was double teamed pointing to knox in the end zone and Allen throwing a bad ball to him, both passes were on the run and he needs to work on that when rolling out to the left as they both were over thrown. The other was a nice seem pass down the middle to beasley, it was a nice big gain however it was low which made beasley fall to the ground had he got the ball to him in stride it was a TD with out a question as no one was around to beat him. I hate to pick on the negatives but this is stuff that win you games against contenders and put them out of their misery fast, Baltimore, Houston, KC, and even Pats will take advantage of those opportunities to get back in to the game. Outside of that I am loving the Diggs move he brings a nice element to the offense that allows Brown to get more looks as he is working the #2 corner. Zach Moss showed some great stuff but the run game needs to come in strong next week agains the Dolphins as Cam and Co took them for a ride on the ground exposing the run defense. 

All in all the offense was able to move with ease against the Jets defense and the Bills Defense was able to quickly shut down Darnold, he had minimal time to throw but even when he had time he just looked uncomfortable at times. Andre Roberts on Special Teams is a reason why they needed him he just makes the punt returns look easy as he weaves in and out around the Jet players for 10-15 more yards then expected. The one Bojo punt that happened was fairly good so I can not complain about that (as of yet lol). Being able to see so many first downs and dominate the clock for 40 minutes proved my previous statements as to why the bills are in the positive direction and why the jets are going in the opposite direction. All in all great week 1 just need to clean up the self inflicting plays so that when they do face a team like the Rams in Week 3 they are able to show that they are a contender.

@soflbillsfan

I agree we went to the well too many times with the QB run but here is a breakdown off all Allen’s run plays.

I read today that the Bills did the read option a lot yesterday because the Jets worst game last year was against Baltimore who beat them that way. The Allen fumble in the first is the worst one. He had the first and just needed to go down. His second fumble, I hated that play call and Allen was too careless while holding the ball loosely in his hands and not tucked away. 

Allen beating teams with his legs opens up the pass game really well so I don’t want to see us go away from it. I just hope it’s managed better by all. Especially this week against a hapless dolphins team who Newton ran well on. 

Bass certainly had a rough game but in reality his first field goal was most likely good and the refs screwed that up. His second miss was him overcompensating. He finished 5-7 on EXT Points and field goals combined but really was 6-7 IMO. 

With no pre season and a shortened off season I expected some ugliness and bad play. Edmunds got hurt on his miss tackle and if Milano wasn’t already hurt the play may have been a sack (Klein was close) or incomplete. Like you said, lots to be cleaned up, hopefully everything gets a little tighter and more settled against Miami and we’re ready to go for the Rams.

23 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

@soflbillsfan

I agree we went to the well too many times with the QB run but here is a breakdown off all Allen’s run plays.

I read today that the Bills did the read option a lot yesterday because the Jets worst game last year was against Baltimore who beat them that way. The Allen fumble in the first is the worst one. He had the first and just needed to go down. His second fumble, I hated that play call and Allen was too careless while holding the ball loosely in his hands and not tucked away. 

Allen beating teams with his legs opens up the pass game really well so I don’t want to see us go away from it. I just hope it’s managed better by all. Especially this week against a hapless dolphins team who Newton ran well on. 

Bass certainly had a rough game but in reality his first field goal was most likely good and the refs screwed that up. His second miss was him overcompensating. He finished 5-7 on EXT Points and field goals combined but really was 6-7 IMO. 

With no pre season and a shortened off season I expected some ugliness and bad play. Edmunds got hurt on his miss tackle and if Milano wasn’t already hurt the play may have been a sack (Klein was close) or incomplete. Like you said, lots to be cleaned up, hopefully everything gets a little tighter and more settled against Miami and we’re ready to go for the Rams.

While we can break it down I get that the read option was good for baltimore but Allen is careless with the ball when running he is averaging a fumble a game since coming in to the league that is not good at all. I am sure they will not be shy with it this coming weekend either but this dude is also running the risk of getting injured. He could eventually be the next cam newton in which he is just taking shot after shot and refs are calling less and less penalties because they are both so big and they know that they both run so much so it can be debatable on whether or not he is a qb or a runner at the time in which flags could be drawn at times. I just prefer him to stay in the pocket and have the 2 RBs you spent draft picks on run the ball and let your skill players make the plays rather then you risking injury and having a fumble issue.

As for Bass whether it was good or not you cant justify a chip shot going that far right to be acceptable he had accuracy issues in college and his pros are being a guy capable of booting the ball. In a close game this needs to be a simple chip shot and over compensation can cost them a game. It is worrisome when you have weeks 3-6 coming up where the games are going to be close ones.

Hopefully everything is cleaned up but Bass should be on the hot seat if he misses a chip shot in Miami.

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

While we can break it down I get that the read option was good for baltimore but Allen is careless with the ball when running he is averaging a fumble a game since coming in to the league that is not good at all. I am sure they will not be shy with it this coming weekend either but this dude is also running the risk of getting injured. He could eventually be the next cam newton in which he is just taking shot after shot and refs are calling less and less penalties because they are both so big and they know that they both run so much so it can be debatable on whether or not he is a qb or a runner at the time in which flags could be drawn at times. I just prefer him to stay in the pocket and have the 2 RBs you spent draft picks on run the ball and let your skill players make the plays rather then you risking injury and having a fumble issue.

As for Bass whether it was good or not you cant justify a chip shot going that far right to be acceptable he had accuracy issues in college and his pros are being a guy capable of booting the ball. In a close game this needs to be a simple chip shot and over compensation can cost them a game. It is worrisome when you have weeks 3-6 coming up where the games are going to be close ones.

Hopefully everything is cleaned up but Bass should be on the hot seat if he misses a chip shot in Miami.

I agree about getting the RB's involved but on the read option that is up to Josh. He needs to stop fumbling but we also can't take his legs away from him. Need to find the balance.

I am positive Beane has already been on the phone with Haush. But look around the league. Kicking issues are everywhere and even from steady veterans. I'm hoping we give Bass a chance to redeem himself early.