The Raider Appreciation Thread 📈

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Regardless of who your coaches are though you should draft the most talented players. Good coaches find a way to put talented players in a position to succeed. Micah Parsons with the Cowboys is an excellent example. They use essentially the same scheme that we do, was Micah's skill-set really suited for what Dann Quinn likes to do? Not really. He needs LB's that are good in space and can play in coverage, Micah's best skill was his ability to play coming down hill. So what did Quinn do? He moved him to defensive end and he has been an absolute monster. 

It depends on what you're looking at him for I think Michael Parsons is the ultimate Sam early in his career but I think once someone runs 4.3 and has a 6.9 con drill you can teach someone like that to cover which meant eventually playing MLB.  He was going to be great against Run regardless. He's the type they can fit in anyone's system given the amount of time and coaching. 

I mean think about it this way, if we are drafted him and he played for us, he would have basically just been the bigger more athletic version of Perryman, which for a rookie, there's nothing wrong with that. Again, richard Smith is a linebacker coach

That's sad we never had a chance at Parsons 

Edited by Jeremy408

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

It depends on what you're looking at him for I think Michael Parsons is the ultimate Sam early in his career but I think once someone runs 4.3 and has a 6.9 con drill you can teach someone like that to cover which meant eventually playing MLB.  He was going to be great against Run regardless. He's the type they can fit in anyone's system given the amount of time and coaching. 

I mean think about it this way, if we are drafted him and he played for us, he would have basically just been the bigger more athletic version of Perryman, which for a rookie, there's nothing wrong with that. Again, richard Smith is a linebacker coach

That's sad we never had a chance at Micha Parsons 

You missed my point. The Cowboys have invested as much if not more into their LB's then any team in the league with a defensive coordinator who doesn't necessarily put a premium on LB's in his scheme. That did not stop them from drafting Micah Parsons because they recognized that he was the best player on the board. They selected him despite already having 3 good, highly paid LB's on their roster because they knew Dann Quinn would figure out a way to use him effectively.

Early in the season when Micah was playing as an off ball LB, he struggled in coverage. They had injuries at DE so they moved him there and he has been destroying teams. 

Our draft strategy under Mayock has been to draft specifically for need even if that meant massively reaching on someone so we could fill a hole on our roster. And the results have been incredibly poor. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You missed my point. The Cowboys have invested as much if not more into their LB's then any team in the league with a defensive coordinator who doesn't necessarily put a premium on LB's in his scheme. That did not stop them from drafting Micah Parsons because they recognized that he was the best player on the board. They selected him despite already having 3 good, highly paid LB's on their roster because they knew Dann Quinn would figure out a way to use him effectively.

Early in the season when Micah was playing as an off ball LB, he struggled in coverage. They had injuries at DE so they moved him there and he has been destroying teams. 

Our draft strategy under Mayock has been to draft specifically for need even if that meant massively reaching on someone so we could fill a hole on our roster. And the results have been incredibly poor. 

I wouldnt have drafted leatherwood either but who would you have drafted?

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think that any other than Jerry Jones has something to decide when it comes to picking in the first round for the cowboys.

Picking Parsons and Lamb was just the most Jerry Jones thing to happen. 

24 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

I don't think that any other than Jerry Jones has something to decide when it comes to picking in the first round for the cowboys.

Picking Parsons and Lamb was just the most Jerry Jones thing to happen. 

And both of those picks have worked out well, they're both studs.

26 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

I just wanted to point out that there wasn't a strategy behind the picks. 

Good for the cowboys that picks worked out 

The strategy behind the picks was to acquire the most talented player on the board even if it wasn't a major need.