NFL General Discussion

candyman93

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I guess I'm in the minority here. We have a Top 10 defense with a backup QB and little to no weapons outside of Cooper and Njoku. DPJ is a fine 3 who is playing a 2. I think that some of the "head scratching decisions" on running the ball get fixed with capable QB play. Even yesterday, if that OPI doesn't get called and Cooper scores, I don't think people say "we should have run the ball" there. I think some of it is results based.

It’s amazing how smart a great QB can make an offensive coordinator look.

We have 2 passing touchdowns the last 4 weeks.  At some point Brissett is gonna have to make a play or maybe we start giving Dobbs some snaps.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s amazing how smart a great QB can make an offensive coordinator look.

It's the same issue that I have with the "take the points" crowd. Yesterday on 4th and 1 in the Red Zone we went for it, converted, and scored to go up 7-0 off the bat, chewing up over 10% of the clock for the entire game. You played the analytics, you got over double the points, and you kept your terrible defense off the field.

...and yet I didn't hear any of the "take the points" crowd speak up, because we converted.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We have 2 passing touchdowns the last 4 weeks.  At some point Brissett is gonna have to make a play or maybe we start giving Dobbs some snaps.  

2021 and 2022 have been transparent on just how important the QB position is and so many people don't see it/don't want to see it. We at least need average production to get above average wins, and we have below average production from that position so that means a losing record in today's NFL.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's the same issue that I have with the "take the points" crowd. Yesterday on 4th and 1 in the Red Zone we went for it, converted, and scored to go up 7-0 off the bat, chewing up over 10% of the clock for the entire game. You played the analytics, you got over double the points, and you kept your terrible defense off the field.

...and yet I didn't hear any of the "take the points" crowd speak up, because we converted.

yeah it’s not the decision that’s the problem, only the outcome.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

2021 and 2022 have been transparent on just how important the QB position is and so many people don't see it/don't want to see it. We at least need average production to get above average wins, and we have below average production from that position so that means a losing record in today's NFL.

Unless you have an elite defense you need to get consistent, quality QB play at a minimum.  And that’s to be mediocre.

I think our defense is more talented than it’s production indicates.  Fixing the dude who’s calling plays and organizing things fixes a lot.  I still think they’re a couple players up the middle away from being close to elite, even on paper.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Let's give JJ3 his wish and deal him please

Pathetic but man, look at JOK there too. Yikes. He inexplicably jumped to the inside where the meat of the defense was. He has his strengths but you also need somebody that can really enforce out there at linebacker. This is a problem with a defensive built around smaller, finesse style linebackers. 

Tldr yeah trade JJ3 and fire Woods.

Edited by NateDawg

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Jesus Christ lol 

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If dudes don’t want to play like their *** is on fire, bench them ffs. Terrible, terrible effort.

I can tolerate dudes who aren't as gifted who just "get beat". I can't tolerate a lack of effort from kids who I used to coach who paid a fee to play, let alone dudes getting paid millions to play. It's pathetic. Trade him.

Just now, NateDawg said:

Pathetic but man, look at JOK there too. Yikes. He inexplicably jumped to the inside where the meat of the defense was. He has his drinks but you also need somebody that can really enforce out there at linebacker. This is a problem with a defensive built around smaller, finesse style linebackers. 

Tldr yeah trade JJ3 and fire Woods.

JOK at least is lined up and tries to jump inside to fill the B gap, which is his responsibility. The issue is, HE IS THE SAM LINEBACKER ON THAT PLAY. Rewind the clip and you'll see they go jumbo personnel out of a double tight set, and Phillips is the Will and JOK is lined up in the box to the strength of the formation.

Technically, that's his gap, and he gets washed but still at least takes the block on at the LOS. Meanwhile, JJ3 is lined up to his immediate right, making that C gap fit his, especially when Newsome gets the kick block from the motioned fullback.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

JOK at least is lined up and tries to jump inside to fill the B gap, which is his responsibility. The issue is, HE IS THE SAM LINEBACKER ON THAT PLAY. Rewind the clip and you'll see they go jumbo personnel out of a double tight set, and Phillips is the Will and JOK is lined up in the box to the strength of the formation.

Technically, that's his gap, and he gets washed but still at least takes the block on at the LOS. Meanwhile, JJ3 is lined up to his immediate right, making that C gap fit his, especially when Newsome gets the kick block from the motioned fullback.

Let me reiterate a point:

JOE WOODS IS HAVING JOK PLAY SAM LINEBACKER AGAINST 22 Personnel (2 TE and a FB).

Hahahahahahaha!

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah I guess I don’t know the responsibility there enough but to me it looks like he and Phillips are covering the same space and our safety is on his own in that gap. Which, absolutely pathetic effort by JJ3. 
To my point though, either way, he is a smaller linebacker that was never going to take on that blocker. A bigger guy might at least push that blocker backwards and influence the hole in the C gap. Our linebackers have some limitations. 

Just now, MWil23 said:

Let me reiterate a point:

JOE WOODS IS HAVING JOK PLAY SAM LINEBACKER AGAINST 22 Personnel (2 TE and a FB).

Hahahahahahaha!

That’s what I’m saying man, the scheme is round hole with a square peg. JOK was never going to influence that run. 

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah I guess I don’t know the responsibility there enough but to me it looks like he and Phillips are covering the same space and our safety is on his own in that gap.

Phillips would have been responsible for the weak side A/B gap (depending upon the DT responsibility). Once Phillips sees the play is going to JOK's side, he becomes a scraper to make a cutback tackle if the play comes back through the gap in the event that one of our useless DTs gets abused (not that this would ever happen on this team).

Which, absolutely pathetic effort by JJ3. 

Absolutely unacceptable. That's his fit and gap...and it's a C gap, meaning he's an unblocked defender. You're 1 on 1 with a RB.

To my point though, either way, he is a smaller linebacker that was never going to take on that blocker. A bigger guy might at least push that blocker backwards and influence the hole in the C gap. Our linebackers have some limitations. 

He was never meant to be "that guy". He was drafted to be an apex/star, which ironically, is where JJ3 is lined up. 

• Like 1