NFL General Discussion

candyman93

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Seahawks have won twice as many games as us with Geno Smith.

Coaching staff needs to change.

Geno is a lot better than Brisset and has a lot better receivers. I’m genuinely not sure what everyone here expected this year. Looking back at my preseason post draft projection after the 11 game suspension I had us at 3-5 after 8 games. 

Smith has a 9/2 TD/INT ratio

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Geno is a lot better than Brisset and has a lot better receivers. I’m genuinely not sure what everyone here expected this year. Looking back at my preseason post draft projection after the 11 game suspension I had us at 3-5 after 8 games. 

Smith has a 9/2 TD/INT ratio

Yeah, I wish we'd run the ball more but it's not surprising that defenses are daring us to pass the ball. If defenses can take out Cooper (like Atlanta did), we have no one who can consistently win 1v1 matchups, nor we do have a QB who is going to elevate the talent around him. I think our offense has played well overall when you consider our limitations personnel wise.

Defense and ST is the main reason for our struggles this season. Today was arguably our best defensive performance, and it's hardly like it was some great defensive game for us.

If Watson comes back as the same QB he was and we add another good WR, our offense will be pretty damn dangerous.

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Titans are also 4-2 and most people couldn’t name a starter on their team outside of Henry, Simmons, and Byard.

Our problem is coaching and the God awful culture in our players. They just wanna get paid and ride off into the offseason.

Yep. Look at the friggin Giants. Their team sucks and they’re 5-1. It’s absurd that a team, with this much talent, is losing to bad/mediocre team.

Stefanski probably needs to go. It sucks because I love his offensive playcaling 99% of the time. He needs to mightily improve as a leader of men. And he needs to make changes to his staff ASAP. 

I thinking making a change at HC while you’re waiting on Watson to return would be dumb.

Fire woods and/or Priefer to the moon for all I care, but I’d like to see Stefanski have at least through next season.

Using hindsight to some degree I’m not sure what people are expecting out of a team starting what appears to be two guys who are not starter quality players in the NFL at QB.

As far as the leadership style, he seems to be the same dude that won coach of the year and was the toast of the town.  The only difference is the results.  I’d be curious to see how things play out with a more talented QB.

• Like 1

I'd say a few things:

1. I'll readily admit I'm a Stefanski apologist, so you can take about everything that I say with a grain or more of salt. That said:

A. Most NFL HC's at least get "their guy" at QB before they're truly evaluated. He was forced to take Baker in 2020 and 2021, and I'd argue helped salvage him in 2020 before expanding the playbook in 2021 and demanding more of him, and Baker showed that he failed. This year, you're giving him Jacoby Brissett and stripping him of multiple first round picks that couldn't be used to address clear holes the roster, such as WR, LB, DT, and S.

B. I guess I'd say this...what did everyone expect this year without Watson for 11 games? 2-5 with 6 out of 7 games being wins or extremely competitive losses, while having a Top 10 offense in terms of efficiency despite having one of the worst QBs in the league and one of the worst WR corps in the league.

C. If you want to say that he needs to hold Defense and Special Teams (and their coaches) more accountable, that I'll readily give you and say you have a very valid point.

I think you owe it to the organization to give Stefanski 2022 with Watson, a full off-season to install some things, and hopefully address some holes in the roster in other areas as well.

• Like 1

We punted on the season when we traded for a predator at QB who was going to miss most of the year. You don’t tread water for 11 games. This is the NFL, come on. Yeah, it would be nice if you won some of these games, but this team has some serious weaknesses. When you don’t have the quarterback play to compensate, you end up being 2-5. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd say a few things:

1. I'll readily admit I'm a Stefanski apologist, so you can take about everything that I say with a grain or more of salt. That said:

A. Most NFL HC's at least get "their guy" at QB before they're truly evaluated. He was forced to take Baker in 2020 and 2021, and I'd argue helped salvage him in 2020 before expanding the playbook in 2021 and demanding more of him, and Baker showed that he failed. This year, you're giving him Jacoby Brissett and stripping him of multiple first round picks that couldn't be used to address clear holes the roster, such as WR, LB, DT, and S.

B. I guess I'd say this...what did everyone expect this year without Watson for 11 games? 2-5 with 6 out of 7 games being wins or extremely competitive losses, while having a Top 10 offense in terms of efficiency despite having one of the worst QBs in the league and one of the worst WR corps in the league.

C. If you want to say that he needs to hold Defense and Special Teams (and their coaches) more accountable, that I'll readily give you and say you have a very valid point.

I think you owe it to the organization to give Stefanski 2022 with Watson, a full off-season to install some things, and hopefully address some holes in the roster in other areas as well.

I'm far from a Stefanski apologist, but do agree with keeping him for next season to see if it all can come together with an all pro caliber QB for a full season. I thought we'd be in good shape if we went 5-6 with Jacoby (counting on our defense to at least be competent and keep us in games more than they have). The caveat I'll put is the FO should absolutely mandate he replace Woods and Priefer, and I wouldn't be against him turning over offensive play calling duties either. There's enough in terms of overall team execution, culture, locker room, game planning, adjustments and strategy to keep Stef busy during the week and on game day that taking play calling off his plate could be addition by subtraction (even though for the most part I like what he does in that department).

Also, if Stef is going to be put on the hot seat and under the microscope, AB deserves to be right there with him. Neglecting WR, DT, and LB in favor of a secondary that isn't even performing and mortgaging our ability to improve on those areas with high draft picks for the foreseeable future is not looking like a great strategic team-building direction. That said, keep the band together for one more year with improved musicians in some key spots before going full Haslam.

3 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

I'm far from a Stefanski apologist, but do agree with keeping him for next season to see if it all can come together with an all pro caliber QB for a full season. I thought we'd be in good shape if we went 5-6 with Jacoby (counting on our defense to at least be competent and keep us in games more than they have).

5-6 seems reasonable as I think all of us expected our defense to at least not be awful. If they show up even marginally against the Jets and Falcons, then we are sitting here at 4-3.

The caveat I'll put is the FO should absolutely mandate he replace Woods and Priefer,

100% agree. I think that's more than fair and should be warranted.

and I wouldn't be against him turning over offensive play calling duties either.

I guess I'm in the minority here. We have a Top 10 defense with a backup QB and little to no weapons outside of Cooper and Njoku. DPJ is a fine 3 who is playing a 2. I think that some of the "head scratching decisions" on running the ball get fixed with capable QB play. Even yesterday, if that OPI doesn't get called and Cooper scores, I don't think people say "we should have run the ball" there. I think some of it is results based.

There's enough in terms of overall team execution, culture, locker room, game planning, adjustments and strategy to keep Stef busy during the week and on game day that taking play calling off his plate could be addition by subtraction (even though for the most part I like what he does in that department).

Definitely fair enough. I guess I'd say that coaches like Andy Reid, Sean Payton, McVeigh, and Kyle Shanahan don't seem to have a problem doing both. I think if you get the right coordinators in there that you can delegate and let those guys take care of business. That's just my opinion.

Also, if Stef is going to be put on the hot seat and under the microscope, AB deserves to be right there with him.

100% agree here. I'm actually with @sdrawkcab321. What's Barry done to warrant an automatic pass? We went into the year with a dumpster fire DT situation, little to no depth at LB, and a lousy WR situation. Yes, he got Cooper, but still.

Neglecting WR, DT, and LB in favor of a secondary that isn't even performing and mortgaging our ability to improve on those areas with high draft picks for the foreseeable future is not looking like a great strategic team-building direction. That said, keep the band together for one more year with improved musicians in some key spots before going full Haslam.

I'm in full agreement here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve said it before but it bears repeating, if firing coaches fixed things we’d have enjoyed the greatest dynasty in league history over the last decade and a half.

Even more than that, yes the results are the "only thing that matters" to a degree, but for like 15 years here it didn't even look like this team was playing the same sport as our opponents. At least KS has made this team a good offensive product and a competitive team. At some point results have to happen and that's fair, but maybe let's not fire him after Baker Mayfield and Jacoby Brissett are his only quarterbacks.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Even more than that, yes the results are the "only thing that matters" to a degree, but for like 15 years here it didn't even look like this team was playing the same sport as our opponents. At least KS has made this team a good offensive product and a competitive team. At some point results have to happen and that's fair, but maybe let's not fire him after Baker Mayfield and Jacoby Brissett are his only quarterbacks.

And it would be different if the schemes were failing too, but they’re not.  Wide receivers are getting open.  The ground game is great. We just don’t have competent QB play.

if you’re gonna be a legit contender you need at least;

1. competent coaching 

2. Competent QB play

3. a reliable defense.

4. solid overall talent level

If any of those areas are excellent, you can get away with less from the other components.

Id argue our talent is solid and offensive coaching has been good.  We don’t have a reliable QB or defense.  You’re not gonna win like that.

Stefanski’s biggest issue imo is his 2 coordinators.  

• Like 1