College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I’m gonna gonna defend that stuff but the one thing that was specifically mention about parsons was a fight.  I don’t really care about an 18-19 getting into a fight tbh.  I did when I was young, so have many or most here.  Kids do dumb ish.

Hopefully he learned from it, and by all other accounts his teammates (save this kid) liked him.

That’s part of the difficulty in evaluating these guys, most are very young.  Sure, many guys have great character all along, others take some time to mature and grow up a bit. And not to dismiss any of it, but to keep things in perspective, we’re not looking for someone to lead our HR department, we’re looking for someone to play football and stay out of legal trouble.   

I’m not so much concerned about what type of person he was 2 years ago, but rather what type of person is he now. Has he learned, matured, etc?  Does he accept ownership for his mistakes and stayed out of trouble since?  

If so, he’s a no brainer at 26. 

Really question is, did his teammates go to his birthday party? I don’t care about fights, I care about the birthday parties...

28 minutes ago, zelbell said:

Yikes, if these reports are true, I would have serious thoughts of removing Parsons from the draft board. I don't believe that coaches should tolerate an environment where hazing and that type of crap is tolerated. I remember when Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy were with the Colts, they essentially said that hazing rookies was not tolerate because it undermined their team's success. Instead, they brought their players along in a manner that helped them learn and develop. This type of crap has the potential to destroy a locker room.

Also, if the allegations are true, Parsons would be guilty of at least a misdemeanor assault from the fight, and potentially sexual assault if he was part of the other allegations. On the fight issue, it also seems like a bit of a b*tch move to throw water on someone sleeping and then punch them in the face when they throw Gatorade back at you. That to me shows a petty little punk that can dish it out but can't take it when someone fights back. To be honest, I wouldn't have blamed the kid for stabbing Parsons since he realistically had every right to defend himself with deadly force if he was fearful that he would suffer serious bodily injury, which is certainly possible when someone sucker punches you and grabs you by the neck.

Edited by shoffma1999

40 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

If there was ever a year when moving up doesn't make sense, it's this year.

The draft is enough of a crapshoot without adding in stuff like opt-outs and lack of player visits and interviews.  I know they're your boys, LBGod, but one of them sat out last year and the other one is one more concussion away from scrambled eggs.

MAYBE if they fall to us, but no way am I moving up for them.

If they are both gone by 26, hopefully someone is falling

23 minutes ago, shoffma1999 said:

Yikes, if these reports are true, I would have serious thoughts of removing Parsons from the draft board. I don't believe that coaches should tolerate an environment where hazing and that type of crap is tolerated. I remember when Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy were with the Colts, they essentially said that hazing rookies was not tolerate because it undermined their team's success. Instead, they brought their players along in a manner that helped them learn and develop. This type of crap has the potential to destroy a locker room.

I don’t disagree, but there’s a difference in expectations between an 18 year old and 21-22 year old as far as maturity.  If he still that dumb ****, sure off the board he goes.  

Also, if the allegations are true, Parsons would be guilty of at least a misdemeanor assault from the fight, and potentially sexual assault if he was part of the other allegations.

yeah that’s part of it, we don’t know role he played.  At least the public doesn’t, or I haven’t read it.

On the fight issue, it also seems like a bit of a b*tch move to throw water on someone sleeping and then punch them in the face when they throw Gatorade back at you. That to me shows a petty little punk that can dish it out but can't take it when someone fights back. To be honest, I wouldn't have blamed the kid for stabbing Parsons since he realistically had every right to defend himself with deadly force if he was fearful that he would suffer serious bodily injury, which is certainly possible when someone sucker punches you and grabs you by the neck.

I mean, it’s a fistfight between 2 dudes that didn’t like each other.  Throwing water was a ***** move, so was pulling a knife.  

I’m not going to victim blame here, but it does seem as though that kid had some difficulties getting along with a number of teammates. I’m not saying anything is his fault, but we’ve only heard one side of the story too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, it’s a fistfight between 2 dudes that didn’t like each other.  Throwing water was a ***** move, so was pulling a knife.  

I’m not going to victim blame here, but it does seem as though that kid had some difficulties getting along with a number of teammates. I’m not saying anything is his fault, but we’ve only heard one side of the story too.

**edit lol I'm not saying I want Parsons to go to jail, just that the way the guy responded is reasonable based on how Parsons came at him, "I'm a dude seriously attacking another dude"-style.**

Fwiw, if we are to believe what we read in the article, it wasn't just two dudes fighting; with hazing as the excuse to do just about anything, Parsons went in the dude's room, threw water in his face while he was sleeping, got a Gatorade bottle tossed at him and then responded by punching him in the face and choking him. There were also a ton of actual threats, it sounds like. (Assuming accurate reports, ) If this happened to me, I would have stuck Parsons, no problem.

He broke in a guy's room, threw water in his face while asleep and then responded to a Gatorade bottle (that probably missed and was an attempt to get Parsons away from him) with full-on felony assault (punching and choking a guy who did nothing). This is not hazing. If this is true, put Parsons in jail.

#coldtake

Also, there didn't read any evidence he didn't get along with folks, only that the team backed up the better players, which is what one would expect to happen, I'd say. We can't really gauge anything from that, IMO, as all of the ostracism happened after he talked to coaches.

Edited by NudeTayne

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Parsons May very well be an absolute loser of a human being. And if he stays out of trouble and plays well, I’ll take him. These guys seem to find a way to go places and win against us...ask the dirt bag Tyreke Hill.

I agree on this take. I was just disputing what was being portrayed about the guy. Let's say Parsons did do exactly what the guy said...it will probably go away either way. He will likely not have any more incidences and someone gets a very good player for value by taking a risk. 

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

I agree on this take. I was just disputing what was being portrayed about the guy. Let's say Parsons did do exactly what the guy said...it will probably go away either way. He will likely not have any more incidences and someone gets a very good player for value by taking a risk. 

Oh I agree with you on what you said. :) I’d also be willing to take a chance on him on D2 if he went into free fall mode past R1.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

Oh I agree with you on what you said. :) I’d also be willing to take a chance on him on D2 if he went into free fall mode past R1.

Was disputing LGB (same old ish just... amirite). And yeah, 59 would be a killer spot for Parsons. Someone will take a shot before that, though, most likely, I'm thinking.

22 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Yeah I could care less about the off-field things Parsons has. I'd be worried if it was related to his work ethic or if he was Pacman Jones ghetto. It doesn't seem like it's either of those things. I have more questions about his instincts than I do about his character.

...at least, the character issues that have been "dropped."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zelbell said:

Yeah didnt know about any of that smh

Penn State has always been weird

im so out of touch with the draft this year 

I do think Parsons will be a great player but if that’s the culture and mentality Franklin is putting in those kids I’ll pass. I don’t doubt it either. 

If true Itd have to be 4th round before I gave him a shot. 

I’m good with Zaven Collins I just really think we need something on that second level. 

Edited by brownie man

12 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

There are a ton of vertical threats.

In addition to who had already been said, Tamorrion Terry, Anthony Schwartz, Marquez Stevenson, and Justin Hall can all flyyyy. 

Yeah I’m so behind in the draft this year. No combine really messed it up for me I don’t trust pro days. 

I like this Terry guy he’s got real speed. He’s the first one besides Waddle that looks sub 4.4 

Schwartz looks fast but I hate their gimmick offense. Theyre not asking him to run real pro routes so his speed is pure projection as a receiver. 

Stevenson had some serious speed  

Justin Hall I have trouble trusting small schools

I think Tutu Atwell is my guy  I think we could get him with our later third rounder possibly. Based on value and skill set I want for our offense I think he’s my guy. He’s the one I can tell is is the 4.35 or less out of all of the guys I just watched. Him and Terry are to what I see the best over the top field stretchers. Someone to put pressure on the safety  

Easy speed 

4 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

**edit lol I'm not saying I want Parsons to go to jail, just that the way the guy responded is reasonable based on how Parsons came at him, "I'm a dude seriously attacking another dude"-style.**

Fwiw, if we are to believe what we read in the article, it wasn't just two dudes fighting; with hazing as the excuse to do just about anything, Parsons went in the dude's room, threw water in his face while he was sleeping, got a Gatorade bottle tossed at him and then responded by punching him in the face and choking him. There were also a ton of actual threats, it sounds like. (Assuming accurate reports, ) If this happened to me, I would have stuck Parsons, no problem.

He broke in a guy's room, threw water in his face while asleep and then responded to a Gatorade bottle (that probably missed and was an attempt to get Parsons away from him) with full-on felony assault (punching and choking a guy who did nothing). This is not hazing. If this is true, put Parsons in jail.

#coldtake

Also, there didn't read any evidence he didn't get along with folks, only that the team backed up the better players, which is what one would expect to happen, I'd say. We can't really gauge anything from that, IMO, as all of the ostracism happened after he talked to coaches.

LIS, not defending the actions, but if they’re 2 years old and he’s not in legal trouble and he’s grown up since then, why not?

I get the moral superiority aspect, but I also hate watching those same dudes like Tyreek win Super Bowls.  I don’t want guys who are currently morons, but if someone did something once and learned from it, great, I’ll take the bargain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get the moral superiority aspect, but I also hate watching those same dudes like Tyreek win Super Bowls.  I don’t want guys who are currently morons, but if someone did something once and learned from it, great, I’ll take the bargain.

Every time I watch that stupid smirk on Hill’s face, especially after that game sealing 4th down catch, or Ray’s stupid dance, I think to myself that I’d rather have some dirtbag who helps us win than beats us. Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather have a team full of awesome human beings and elite players, but I’m tired of watching other organizations capitalize.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Parsons May very well be an absolute loser of a human being. And if he stays out of trouble and plays well, I’ll take him. These guys seem to find a way to go places and win against us...ask the dirt bag Tyreke Hill.

And big ben

someone needed to state it

• Like 1