College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

2 hours ago, Horseunit said:

Browns have had several zoom meetings with Louisville WR Tutu Atwell. Add him to the list.

I was just coming here to say I wanted the kid 😂 

I literally came to this thread at this moment to say I want Tutu Atwell. 

If I could get him in the third I’d be thrilled. But we may have to trade up. But offensively he’s my guy this year. Out of all the players on offense in this draft for us in my opinion he brings the most value with his skill set, talent, and projected draft area. 

I’ve been catching up and watching all the receivers. He’s the one I want. He’s got that true straight line take the top off 4.35 speed. 

11 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I wouldn't draft a single OSU player in the 1st except for Fields, but aside from him:

*Wyatt Davis is a stud as an interior OG, even in a ZBS. He'll likely go R2.

*Browning will go R2 based off of physical traits alone, and we could do worse if he's there late R2

*Toglia, Werner, and Wade are all likely 3rd Round prospects, and I'd take all of those guys. Ward as purely a nickel/FS type.

*Sermon is likely an early D3 pick, and I think he's going to be a darkhorse success story in the NFL as a featured RB at some point. If not, he's going to have value as a guy out of the backfield and capable #2.

Tuf Borland is going to be a great coach. He's not an NFL player. He is the worst 3 year starter in the history of OSU, but he's so unbelievably smart they had no alternative but to play him.

Is it me or does Browning feel like hes going to down the same career road as Jerome Baker and Raekwon McMillian. Good LBs at OSU, great athletes, become very pedestrian NFL players for whatever reason.

13 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

Please tell me you guys aren’t believing these 40 times? If they were true which they aren’t this is the fastest nfl draft class in history by a long way.

Add a tenth of a second at least to these 40 times and it will be closer to correct 

Adding to the drama of this draft!😉

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

This is not a human being. It is a robot:

I love him. Top 12ish prospect for me. If you get him, it'll be an absolute steal. Just use him wisely. Needs to move around. 1/3 snap as Will maybe, 1/3 in the slot in short zones, maybe some snaps as an overhang, some as an outside edge blitzer (think jamal adams), maybe some work as a true box safety. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I love him. Top 12ish prospect for me. If you get him, it'll be an absolute steal. Just use him wisely. Needs to move around. 1/3 snap as Will maybe, 1/3 in the slot in short zones, maybe some snaps as an overhang, some as an outside edge blitzer (think jamal adams), maybe some work as a true box safety. 

I don’t think he fits Joe Woods’ scheme as a movable piece. I think he would play SLB/NCB and never leave that strong side overhang position. And he’d be great there. That said, we already have “that guy” in Ronnie Harrison  JOK would move him off the field almost entirely, which I don’t think we would want to do.

I think he could maybe play some WILL, but in our nickel defense, he’s a waste there. He’d be asked to play against guards 80% of the time, which loses his effectiveness.

JOK is a much better player and I’d be thrilled with him, but Jamin Davis seems like a better fit, as we need a WLB with speed to burn in a bad way. He’d be the apple of Joe Woods’ eye I bet. 

• Like 2

Also, as everyone knows, I don’t value versatility in terms of moving around. I want guys that can do multiple things, but I don’t really value guys that can play 4 different positions admirably.

I think what makes JOK so good is that he’s mastered the STAR position. He is so effective in that role that moving him out of that specific spot makes him lose value. Let him be the STAR that always plays outside shade of the TE or plays to the multiple receivers side. Let him be REALLY good at that.

Just my 2 cents. I coach linebackers and we used to just call our strength to the field. This killed us against TE’s, because our fits in the run game changed, our WLB was sometimes asked to be the “hole” defender against trips concepts, and we had general alignment/imbalance issues. The best thing we ever did was always align our WILL away from the TE/multiple WR’s and put our STAR to that side. Since then, we’ve been one of the best defenses in the state of Ohio.

I know HS is HS and the NFL is the NFL, but I think sometimes “versatility” is what kills the cat in that league too. 

I know I’m the weirdo with that mindset. It’s definitely an unpopular opinion around these parts...but that’s just my view on it. 

Edited by LinebackerGod

5 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Just my 2 cents. I coach linebackers and we used to just call our strength to the field. This killed us against TE’s, because our fits in the run game changed, our WLB was sometimes asked to be the “hole” defender against trips concepts, and we had general alignment/imbalance issues. The best thing we ever did was always align our WILL away from the TE/multiple WR’s and put our STAR to that side. Since then, we’ve been one of the best defenses in the state of Ohio.

The amount of discussions our staff has had on this issue is overwhelming. We also play a few heavy FIB teams who exploit this very concept. Also, friendly reminder that an RPO is always either offensive pass interference or an ineligible man downfield if it’s not a run. I hate offenses.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The amount of discussions our staff has had on this issue is overwhelming. We also play a few heavy FIB teams who exploit this very concept. Also, friendly reminder that an RPO is always either offensive pass interference or an ineligible man downfield if it’s not a run. I hate offenses.

Yep. Cheating bastards. Freaking Perry H.S. literally was blocking our MIKE linebacker on about 80% of their passing plays. No joke. Referees don’t care.

I hate teams that motion or trade their TE’s a lot. We are usually still up to that challenge/adjustment, but it’s a pain to practice against and it neuters your defensive playcaling. If I were an OC, I would motion and formation shift constantly. You’re likely going to get vanilla playcaling from a defense if that fear is there.

I will say though, we hardly ever blitzed and sat in Cover 2 about 93% of our snaps. We have a nasty twist game with the DL, but our LBs hardly ever blitz b/c they were getting caught in the wash against power/counter schemes.