College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

36 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

The ACL tear on Williams knocks him off our board at 13. We need a WR who can contribute right away. Awful luck. It's Wilson or bust for me as WR #1. Otherwise, I'm going Nakobe Dean. 

It’s sucks because Dean is a Ray Lewis type of leader at MIKE, which is what we need.

I will be SHOCKED if the Jets pass on him.

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think Treylon Burks has got to be considered at 13.  He’s a stud.

Burks is cool, but I think the role he'd fill is already kind of taken by DPJ. If we're cutting Landry, we're going to need an intermediate route guy since we'll be out of Z style receivers. Adding Burks gives us a pretty homogenous receiver group. Yes he's fast for his size and big and strong, but the dude doesn't separate across the field like the kind of receiver we need. I think the odds are higher that the Browns will reach on Olave than draft Burks from a scheme perspective. 

Just now, Reginaldm9 said:

Burks is cool, but I think the role he'd fill is already kind of taken by DPJ. If we're cutting Landry, we're going to need an intermediate route guy since we'll be out of Z style receivers. Adding Burks gives us a pretty homogenous receiver group. Yes he's fast for his size and big and strong, but the dude doesn't separate across the field like the kind of receiver we need. I think the odds are higher that the Browns will reach on Olave than draft Burks from a scheme perspective. 

It depends on whether or not the Browns want to run an offense with that "traditional" concept or go all in on big bodied versatile types like Tennessee with Brown/Julio and the Chargers with their dudes on the outside as well. I like DPJ, but he's not preventing me from drafting anyone, whether similar/different or skillset. JMHO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

It depends on whether or not the Browns want to run an offense with that "traditional" concept or go all in on big bodied versatile types like Tennessee with Brown/Julio and the Chargers with their dudes on the outside as well. I like DPJ, but he's not preventing me from drafting anyone, whether similar/different or skillset. JMHO

Could be. 

But I'd be a lot more confident that they'd look Burks' way if we had legitimately anybody who could play the Z outside of Landry. Let's see what happens with free agency before we call it a done deal. 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

This is where I’m at.  I like Wilson and he’s my number 1, but I’d be fine with Burks too.

I get the skill set concern, but I think it’s overblown as long as the players can get open, make contested catches and do something with the ball once they catch it.

2 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Could be. 

But I'd be a lot more confident that they'd look Burks' way if we had legitimately anybody who could play the Z outside of Landry. Let's see what happens with free agency before we call it a done deal. 

No doubt. Granted, DPJ played the slot a LOT last year as well as in college. I'd like to see more 3+ WR packages, but it's not like we had that luxury with year with this awful group.

34 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

What about Felton taking over Jarvis role? Let him focus on being a WR and get the reps needed. 

2 hours ago, captin midnight said:

What about Felton taking over Jarvis role? Let him focus on being a WR and get the reps needed. 

I think Felton may be able to pick up some of the things Jarvis did in his role, like the sweeps, screens, WR runs, and maybe even trick plays...but don't think he's cut out to do a lot of the strictly traditional WR stuff.

19 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

We have to add two good starters to our WR room. We need a true outside number one and assuming we cut Jarvis we need a slot guy

I mean, even if we keep Jarvis, I think DPJ is more suited as a #4 and Schwartz as a one-trick pony #5.

I'd like to see us pick up a true #1/2 in FA (Godwin, Robinson as #1's, Chark/Gallup/Kirk as #2's) and also use our first round pick on Wilson/London.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FGK said:

I mean, even if we keep Jarvis, I think DPJ is more suited as a #4 and Schwartz as a one-trick pony #5.

I'd like to see us pick up a true #1/2 in FA (Godwin, Robinson as #1's, Chark/Gallup/Kirk as #2's) and also use our first round pick on Wilson/London.

To support this point:

So PFF graded about 4 WR's per team. Higgins/Schwartz ranked as mid-low #4s and DPJ/Landry as mid-low #3s. That sounds about right to me. So, if you bring in a legit WR 1 and WR 2, we still only have an average WR room. If you bring in a WR 1 and WR 3, we're below average.