College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

9 hours ago, bruceb said:

I do not get this thinking.

I subscribe to building on strength.

We are a couple of high-ceiling/high-floor players (and maybe a better DC) away from being an elite D.

And a couple of depth pieces away from being an elite OL.

Finish building the D, fortify the OL and give Mayfield enough at WR to work with through FA and later in the draft.

We should not be building a team to learn if Mayfield should be retained.

We should be building a team that can win regardless of whether Mayfield is the long-term answer QB.

I don’t disagree with a lot of this, but our WR’s are one of the bottom 5 units in the league.  This has to be addressed, and substantially.  

I’m not sure how anyone who listened to this team all season could not hear that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I think a guy like George Karlaftis is a serious candidate too if he does well at the combine.

He’s been a monster since his freshmen year. He’s different from Myles and Clowney.

He should be in the conversation at 13, but everything I have seen thus far has him going earlier!

11 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

He should be in the conversation at 13, but everything I have seen thus far has him going earlier!

If we’re determined to go defense at 13, there are a lot of dudes who would be great picks.

Hutchinson, Hamilton, Stingley, Thibodeaux, Karlaftis, Leal, Dean, Walker…

One of those dudes will likely be there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

I think he slips to us.

I love his frame, motor, and hand fighting. He uses raw power very well. The lazy comp is Ryan Kerrigan, but his production dipped this year. Ignore the year prior due to Purdues schedule with COVID.

Great breakdown of his game.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/george-karlaftis/x5kcAoufiB

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think he slips to us.

I love his frame, motor, and hand fighting. He uses raw power very well. The lazy comp is Ryan Kerrigan, but his production dipped this year. Ignore the year prior due to Purdues schedule with COVID.

Great breakdown of his game.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/george-karlaftis/x5kcAoufiB

TDN is my go to site where I can read a quick blurb about a dude and then talk smugly about his abilities here.

It’s a good site.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

TDN is my go to site where I can read a quick blurb about a dude and then talk smugly about his abilities here.

It’s a good site.

Really? I watch copious amounts of film in my man cave basement. I think I should post a picture of where the magic takes place and link you to my own spreadsheet database.

derp GIF

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not sure how anyone who listened to this team all season could not hear that.

I listened (haha!) and heard problems with our play-calling, OL, QB and WRs contributing to the poor results.

There is no doubt that we must upgrade the receiving corps but is that the top priority?

I cannot see how making it such elevates the team, better prepares it to compete than strengthening the D and OL.

In the short term, imo, we are more likely to win with a strong D and running game than with our passing game.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

I listened (haha!) and heard problems with our play-calling, OL, QB and WRs contributing to the poor results.

There is no doubt that we must upgrade the receiving corps but is that the top priority?

I cannot see how making it such elevates the team, better prepares it to compete than strengthening the D and OL.

In the short term, imo, we are more likely to win with a strong D and running game than with our passing game.

The way the NFL game is, yeah we need to get some up grades at WR. We need to get at least a legit #1 WR. When we get behind or need a big clutch, we gotta know we have a playmaker on the outside who can make a big play.

all season long I dreaded those 4th possessions because I was wondering how Baker was going to screw it up and had zero faith that a WR would actually step up and make a play. 

If we don’t make a major upgrade at WR, we could be screwing up the evaluation of baker. If we get some stud WRs and Baker proves he isn’t the guy, well Now the new QB has some weapons to work with

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

If we don’t make a major upgrade at WR, we could be screwing up the evaluation of baker. If we get some stud WRs and Baker proves he isn’t the guy, well Now the new QB has some weapons to work with

I fundamentally agree with this but I wonder: Is it more important to build a winning team, regardless of the QB or WRs, or to build to evaluate Mayfield?

15 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I fundamentally agree with this but I wonder: Is it more important to build a winning team, regardless of the QB or WRs, or to build to evaluate Mayfield?

It's become a passing league and IMO receiver 1 has become a more sought-after position. I would argue that we have a huge hole at WR1, regardless of who is behind center.

It's a win-win to massively upgrade WR; we upgrade a position of primary weakness while setting it up to give Baker adequate tools/health to be evaluated over this coming season. I hope we get a clear #1 weapon for Baker to throw to. That would be awesome.

• Like 1