College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

Demaurice Smith is such a moron for wanting to get rid of the combine. He’s only protecting the top echelon prospects by doing this.

Franchises are not going to send their scouts to every single pro day for every single university.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nflpas-demaurice-smith-pushes-to-end-nfl-scouting-combine-offers-regional-pro-days-as-alternative/

This is how you slowly start destroying a union btw. When you start making the bottom tier guys feel like their voices won’t be heard.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Demaurice Smith is such a moron for wanting to get rid of the combine. He’s only protecting the top echelon prospects by doing this.

Franchises are not going to send their scouts to every single pro day for every single university.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nflpas-demaurice-smith-pushes-to-end-nfl-scouting-combine-offers-regional-pro-days-as-alternative/

This is how you slowly start destroying a union btw. When you start making the bottom tier guys feel like their voices won’t be heard.

What a moron. It’s like a slave auction? Last I checked, slaves weren’t allowed to simply not attend the auction like these NFL prospects can. The combine isn’t mandatory. Just decline your invite if you don’t wanna go.

God I am getting jaded about society. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

What a moron. It’s like a slave auction? Last I checked, slaves weren’t allowed to simply not attend the auction like these NFL prospects can. The combine isn’t mandatory. Just decline your invite if you don’t wanna go.

God I am getting jaded about society. 

I’m stunned the players still have him involved. They would be so much better off with someone else. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

If anything you have the smaller regional combines first (for lesser known/small school guys) and give high performers an invite to the national combine.

Give them more exposure, not less.

The combine is a job interview for your profession/a networking convention event. Pro Days are a portfolio you get at your college. Evaluating testing and body composition is the equivalent of a rubric on an interview and is 💯 relevant to your job description just like any other profession.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

The combine is a job interview for your profession/a networking convention event. Pro Days are a portfolio you get at your college. Evaluating testing and body composition is the equivalent of a rubric on an interview and is 💯 relevant to your job description just like any other profession.

It’s also an opportunity for people to see how you respond to new situations, how you interact with new people, how well you can manage the associated stress, travel, etc.  

I know some pretend scouts like to think it’s irrelevant, “just watch tape” and all, but it’s not.  Sure it may not tell you how good someone is at football, but you can get some insight as to their personality and maturity. Or lack thereof in some cases 

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s also an opportunity for people to see how you respond to new situations, how you interact with new people, how well you can manage the associated stress, travel, etc.  

I know some pretend scouts like to think it’s irrelevant, “just watch tape” and all, but it’s not.  Sure it may not tell you how good someone is at football, but you can get some insight as to their personality and maturity. Or lack thereof in some cases 

Essentially, I'm all for banning some majorly inappropriate questions ala the Dez Bryant one about his mom.

That said, it's a chance to see if what you see on tape matches the explosive metrics, just like when I go in and they look at my resume in a job interview and see if my persona, answers, composure, and what questions I have. Even now, some questions are clearly softball questions, some are in depth about the job description to see if I'm qualified and have done my homework, and even now 1-2 are supposed to kind of "needle you" a little to see how you'll respond in the moment.

• Like 1

Put this guy on your radar:

Kelee Ringo. I could see him slipping due to some pretty poor tape against quicker WRs. And this CB class might be the best I’ve ever seen. With that, if he is there in R2, snatching him & moving him to FS would be amazing. He is a great tackler and has the size and speed to be an elite S.

Jammie Robinson is another S I like. Same with Brandon Joseph. I feel like if we want a S, we gotta snag one in R2 or 3. And I desperately want a rangy S. 

28 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Kelee Ringo. I could see him slipping due to some pretty poor tape against quicker WRs. And this CB class might be the best I’ve ever seen. With that, if he is there in R2, snatching him & moving him to FS would be amazing. He is a great tackler and has the size and speed to be an elite S.

Jammie Robinson is another S I like. Same with Brandon Joseph. I feel like if we want a S, we gotta snag one in R2 or 3. And I desperately want a rangy S. 

I agree with you strongly

I want to see what we do in free agency first obviously, but I’m very excited about this draft.

15 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Even more importantly he was a real stud in the Madden franchise I played with my son.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I'm arguably the biggest Ringo hater here. He's stiffer on tape than he's going to test and really struggles with sloppy technique in man/press man despite elite length. OSU absolutely targeted and abused him all game long.

That said, we'd be lucky to grab him R2. He's going to be almost a 10 on the SPARQ with great Freshman film and he's super young. He's going to kill the combine and you've seen the flashes on what he can be...and if he's willing to play FS, he would be a potentially great fit there. He's a very physical kid with elite measurables and surprisingly good ball skills...most of his issues are technique, being "grabby", and a lack of lateral ability for a CB IMO.

• Like 1