MVP Watch FINAL RANKINGS (Version 17.0)

BayRaider

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

where did i assert extra effort is expected?

you have not given any support for your opinion that less-than-regular effort is expected.

Where you said, "It's a bye."

It's on you to give support that the staff will not be playing the bench more than usual. 

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Is he even the best TE in the league? Robert Tonyan wants to know!

Kelce is not just the best in the league, this year he may be the GoaT. Gonzalez and Gronkowski want to know.

4 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Where you said, "It's a bye."

It's on you to give support that the staff will not be playing the bench more than usual. 

Kelce is not just the best in the league, this year he may be the GoaT. Gonzalez and Gronkowski want to know.

LOVE Kelce but he isn’t on the Gonzo/Gronk level 

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

it's on me to support that teams try to win games they need to win to get to the super bowl?

If there is a game the Chiefs need to win to get to the Super Bowl, I am not aware of it. It's on you to show that the staff will not take advantage of having a non-factor game to play. 

11 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

As someone who watched TG for his seasons with KC, I disagree. These three, Gates and Newsome are the candidates for GoaT at TE.

Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

If there is a game the Chiefs need to win to get to the Super Bowl, I am not aware of it. It's on you to show that the staff will not take advantage of having a non-factor game to play. 

Actually, it's on you to show a game that factors into clinching a first round bye is a "non-factor" game.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Actually, it's on you to show a game that factors into clinching a first round bye is a "non-factor" game.

That was done long ago. The Chiefs have a two game lead and the tie breaker. It takes a list of unrelated wins/losses to screw up the tie breaker. The Chiefs own the division. So, this is just another game that does not impact the division race. 

J

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

With the Chiefs having a virtual lock on the #1 seed, one wonders how much the team will be willing to risk Mahomes' valuable body. One suspects something akin to preseason games. That said, he should get at least a full half worth of snaps against Atlanta. We will see about week #17. 

J

What you're proposing here makes no sense. If they win against the Falcons, the net gain is two weeks of rest. If they screw around to try and rest this week, the potential loss is again, two weeks of rest. The potential loss and gain makes no sense. They're not going to rest guys this week when it makes more sense to just win and get to rest guys half a month.

32 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

As someone who watched every snap of Gonzo's career save maybe a few games when he was in Atlanta, Kelce right now is absolutely better than peak Gonzalez. I do think it gets difficult to compare, to an extent, in the same way that it was always hard to compare Gonzalez, Gates, and Sharpe, to the old school TEs, because it's a position that has evolved so dramatically. Like I would confidently say Graham, Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, and Waller are all physical mismatches in a way the generation before wasn't, so maybe that diminishes the athleticism gap between Gonzalez and Kelce. Hard to say how much just time plays a factor there.

But I think as Kelce has developed and matured, in the sense of peak performance, at least, he has passed Gonzalez by. He used to be a more dynamic receiver, at the cost of drops, fumbles (his first two years at least), and subpar blocking. But this year he's been a huge plus as a blocker. The fumbles went away a few years back. He has two drops all year this year. At his very best, the only thing I think Gonzalez was better at than Kelce is right now, is on jump balls. Gonzalez was that guy you'd just send on a fade or seam route in the red zone and throw it high and he'd just jump over everybody. Kelce isn't quite that, but he's a better route runner, better blocker, he's faster and more agile.

I love Gonzalez, but I think Kelce, at his best, is better. I'd say the same for Gronk, and even for Kittle. As for GOAT for a full career, Kelce has the same problem in comparison to Gonzalez that has always kept Gronk from being the unanimous GOAT, in that Gonzo's consistency and longevity was just freaking absurd.

4 hours ago, UncleAdamz said:

This year is just crazy for QB play.

So, yeah, kinda. But it's also indicative of something I've been saying for awhile: it has never been easier to play quarterback in the NFL. The average qbr this year would be an mvp campaign 30 years ago. When talking about records, and yards, and all that jazz, please just be aware of that context.

8 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

I still think this year is pretty crazy for QBs in general. Like looking at 2015 and 2017 QB years for example I don't see anything as wild overall like I do with the QBs this year. There will always be weaker years (2002 for example) and stronger years (2004 and 2011 for example) for QBs. 

my theory is that QBs benefit from being able to focus/plan more at the LOS pre-snap. The lack of crowds makes everything pre-snap much less stressful. More comfortable QBs play better.

*same thing for kickers. I think we're seeing a really good kicking season as well. We're seeing the following improvements league-wide:
30-39yd FGs: 93.7% success (8yr average of 86%)

40-49yd FGs: 67.9% (8yr avg of 65%)

50+ yd FGs: 44.7% (8yr avg of 42%)

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 2