GDT WEEK 5: Green Bay @ Dallas

WizardHawk

11 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I think we are some tweaks away from being last years group. I think we are still a playoff contender.

Having said that, it all hindges on change. 

I see both points.  On one hand we are so close to being a major force like the year before.  We have flashed that ability in every game. The 1st half against the Rams was excellent.

Yet I see Dave's point.  Something's noticeably not ticking right. We have also flashed that disability in every game. The 2nd half against the Rams was like the Bronco's game.

Something has to get right. If not we will not contend. There's time to get right though which is cause for optimism.

I appreciate the vote and I do realize there are 12 games left. But does ANYONE truly believe this team wins tomorrow? If so, based on what exactly? Just how is this going to happen?

True, right now it looks like a toss up of where this team can end up. But when you consider how they are playing, it is not a recipe for success. 

We lost that Rams game because we stopped playing ball and did NOT capitalize when opportunities were presented. 

A possible fumble recovery deep in their area. A muffed punt that, had we scored on that possession would have put them into a deep hole.

Letting a special teams play put our defense up against the wall. Dropped passes for first downs or 2 point conversions. Poor tackling.

In short, poor execution, no incentive to win, not being focused and a sense of entitlement.

The latter I thought they would have learned after the Broncos game but this is why I get down on them, they didn't learn a damn thing.

And here we go again, all the talent in the world but just can't seem to put it together. Is there ANYTHING more frustrating???

8 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

I appreciate the vote and I do realize there are 12 games left. But does ANYONE truly believe this team wins tomorrow? If so, based on what exactly? Just how is this going to happen?

Vegas thinks we win tomorrow by 2-2.5 points.

I don't know exactly what will happen, or what that's based off of. Maybe GB's record is a little inflated with respect to their actual play this year. Maybe they're still too banged up even after 9 days off. Maybe they won't beat us in the coaching department as handily as Los Angeles did. Maybe our team comes out fired up for a playoff revenge game.

What I do know is that bookies make billions of dollars to fund their giant fancy buildings and lifestyles because of suckers like us.

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Vegas thinks we win tomorrow by 2-2.5 points.

I don't know exactly what will happen, or what that's based off of. Maybe GB's record is a little inflated with respect to their actual play this year. Maybe they're still too banged up even after 9 days off. Maybe they won't beat us in the coaching department as handily as Los Angeles did. Maybe our team comes out fired up for a playoff revenge game.

What I do know is that bookies make billions of dollars to fund their giant fancy buildings and lifestyles because of suckers like us.

Right on man!!!! Preach it, it is the truth!

7 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Amazing the doom and gloom after 4 games. 9_9

I simply don't see Dallas being that far off. Improved consistency and this team is sitting at 3-1. The talent is there to do so and a lot of season left.   

I'm on the record saying our defense will doom us.  But I will say this.  Just when you think this team is out they shock you.  

5 hours ago, Northland said:

I'm on the record saying our defense will doom us.  But I will say this.  Just when you think this team is out they shock you.  

It's a young secondary and right now injuries there and to Lee are hurting us.

That said, we're getting Hitchens back which will be a big help. Irving should (hopefully) help make a difference on the DL and free up more opportunities for Lawrence. We get healthy on that side of the ball and if the OL can get itself straightened out I think we'll be okay. 

I hope they keep Cooper at LG, it seemed like we got more push in the ground game with him in there as opposed to Green.

7 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

It's a young secondary and right now injuries there and to Lee are hurting us.

That said, we're getting Hitchens back which will be a big help. Irving should (hopefully) help make a difference on the DL and free up more opportunities for Lawrence. We get healthy on that side of the ball and if the OL can get itself straightened out I think we'll be okay. 

I hope they keep Cooper at LG, it seemed like we got more push in the ground game with him in there as opposed to Green.

I like our young secondary.  Get us a DL that can consistently rush the passer and we will have something.  Until then it's a crap shoot. I don't know what the answer is on the OL.  We grossly under estimated what the loss of Leary would have.  I think we were overly optimistic re Collins.  I think Smith is hurting more than he is letting on.

40 minutes ago, Northland said:

I like our young secondary.  Get us a DL that can consistently rush the passer and we will have something.  Until then it's a crap shoot. I don't know what the answer is on the OL.  We grossly under estimated what the loss of Leary would have.  I think we were overly optimistic re Collins.  I think Smith is hurting more than he is letting on.

I really wish Gregory was available, as I feel like between he, Collins, Lawrence and Irving we'd have a pretty solid pass rush going. Hopefully we can improve with just the latter two. 

The o-line is a bit of a quagmire for me right now. Collins looks above average at RT, but I agree that he'd be better inside. Only thing is I like what we have to insert at OG more than what we have at RT, so I can see why LC has stayed at OT.

I'm hoping that as the season continues and the line maintains continuity, it will improve its performance level.

2 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

I really wish Gregory was available, as I feel like between he, Collins, Lawrence and Irving we'd have a pretty solid pass rush going. Hopefully we can improve with just the latter two. 

The o-line is a bit of a quagmire for me right now. Collins looks above average at RT, but I agree that he'd be better inside. Only thing is I like what we have to insert at OG more than what we have at RT, so I can see why LC has stayed at OT.

I'm hoping that as the season continues and the line maintains continuity, it will improve its performance level.

FWIW, Howie Long just said that our offense is not doing well on first downs.  We've faced some solid defenses and we have been facing 2nd and 3rd and longs.  Defenses are doubling up on Beasley and Witten.  If that's the case then someone else, namely Bryant has to step up.  If Bryant is getting man coverage he has to beat it - and Dak has to get him the ball.

Broken record time.  We need to run Elliot and run him some more.  I don't like our defenses chances against Rodgers.  I think Bennett will have a big day against us with Lee out.  We have to control the clock, play error free offense, and not settle for field goals.

23 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

True, right now it looks like a toss up of where this team can end up. But when you consider how they are playing, it is not a recipe for success. 

We lost that Rams game because we stopped playing ball and did NOT capitalize when opportunities were presented. 

A possible fumble recovery deep in their area. A muffed punt that, had we scored on that possession would have put them into a deep hole.

Letting a special teams play put our defense up against the wall. Dropped passes for first downs or 2 point conversions. Poor tackling.

In short, poor execution, no incentive to win, not being focused and a sense of entitlement.

The latter I thought they would have learned after the Broncos game but this is why I get down on them, they didn't learn a damn thing.

And here we go again, all the talent in the world but just can't seem to put it together. Is there ANYTHING more frustrating???

All the talent in the world well a large majority of that talent is very very young on both sides the ball also we are missing our defensive leader who sets the D. That caused a lot of mistakes in our very young D    On offense our OL has not fully jelled yet which leads to mistakes and poor play.  Our O is built and predicated on solid line play we did not get that last game so we struggled     Expectations are a little high going in to this season I thought sure an10-6 11-5 was possible.  But ether way this team will be much much better by end of year. Maybe better at that point if tHe OL can find a rhythm then last years team because our D is only going to get better and better.  

Inconsistency, flashes a great ability followed by huge mistakes, are both qualities of a young team. Dak and Zeke had amazing years but they and several other key players are still young in their careers. Hopefully they continue to gel and harness the potential they obviously have. 

This is not a roster problem IMO. We have complaints about the OL but we have three all pros.  We complain about pass rush, but DLaw is leading the league in sacks and M. Collins is 2nd among DTs. We complain about Dak but he won Rookie of the year. We can't run the ball but we drafted a RB #4 overall.  Our #1 WR was a 1st round pick our #2 WR was a 2nd rounder. Our TE is Jason Witten. We can't cover but we drafted 100 DBs this off season. Our LBs consist of our best defender Sean Lee and forum favorite J. Smith. Then guys like D. Irving and A. Hitchens fill out the roster.

To me, the ingredients look in place.

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Inconsistency, flashes a great ability followed by huge mistakes, are both qualities of a young team. Dak and Zeke had amazing years but they and several other key players are still young in their careers. Hopefully they continue to gel and harness the potential they obviously have. 

This is not a roster problem IMO. We have complaints about the OL but we have three all pros.  We complain about pass rush, but DLaw is leading the league in sacks and M. Collins is 2nd among DTs. We complain about Dak but he won Rookie of the year. We can't run the ball but we drafted a RB #4 overall.  Our #1 WR was a 1st round pick our #2 WR was a 2nd rounder. Our TE is Jason Witten. We can't cover but we drafted 100 DBs this off season. Our LBs consist of our best defender Sean Lee and forum favorite J. Smith. Then guys like D. Irving and A. Hitchens fill out the roster.

To me, the ingredients look in place.

Agree totally here that is why I feel this team has the potential of being very very good once all the pieces are healthy and working together. 

Archived