What movie are you watching?

Forge

9 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I just watched The End of the Tour, and I found David Foster Wallace so intriguing that I may start reading Infinite Jest, which has been sitting in shrink wrap on my shelf for 8 years 

I see what you did there. I must say that it probably could have been a normal length book if he had been more concise, but his wordiness is what makes it so interesting. It’s much more style than plot, so far at least.

3 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

I see what you did there. I must say that it probably could have been a normal length book if he had been more concise, but his wordiness is what makes it so interesting. It’s much more style than plot, so far at least.

Your post made me realize I never actually watched the movie even though I bought it years ago. It was pretty decent, he just seemed like a very vulnerable, lonely guy. I did see on his wiki he had a history of domestic violence, stalking, and other overall unconscionable misdeeds. Makes me wonder what the line is in cherishing brilliance when it’s marred by nefarious moral corruption. Helps his cause that he passed away because the world likes to cancel everything, but he’s also not tremendously relevant today to become cancelled. I am excited to start his book tho. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Your post made me realize I never actually watched the movie even though I bought it years ago. It was pretty decent, he just seemed like a very vulnerable, lonely guy. I did see on his wiki he had a history of domestic violence, stalking, and other overall unconscionable misdeeds. Makes me wonder what the line is in cherishing brilliance when it’s marred by nefarious moral corruption. Helps his cause that he passed away because the world likes to cancel everything, but he’s also not tremendously relevant today to become cancelled. I am excited to start his book tho. 

Well said. I am interested in finding out more about him since he was so talented, yet so troubled and unfulfilled at the same time. Cancel culture is a joke, but what he was alleged to have done was terrible. He certainly is no role model. Kind of the opposite of that for me.

On 1/26/2023 at 4:50 PM, Fresh Prince said:

All quiet on the western front is the best war movie since saving private Ryan 

Doubtful. Highly doubtful. Hacksaw Ridge I don’t think can be topped, but I will give it a fair shake based on this strong statement.

The Menu is the single best movie in 2022 and maybe my favorite movie since A Quiet Place.

ATJ looks like a cat and I never understood all the crushes on her, but she’s a fantastic actress.

Ralph Fienes (sp) delivered a powerhouse performance in a way only he is capable of (truly underrated villain actor that I am not going to neglect any longer).

Even Liguizamo (sp) had one of his best acting performances.

Nicholas Hoult is superb as the most pretentious **** possible.

This is easily a 10/10 if not for the fact it’s not the rewatchable type of movie.

The dialogue is a ****ing miracle of writing and the delivery is flawless from nearly every single actor.

It’s a crying shame Hong Chau isn’t getting major starting roles. She made Downsizing tolerable (and that was a ******* terrible movie). Excellent in this.

This isn’t just a typical Outpost movie rant, either. You could say it was if there was some sort of last minute Lovedraftian reveal or if there were monsters, but this was a straight no fantasy/horror/sci fi thriller. There aren’t 100 such movies out of the 3,000 plus movies I’ve seen that can say the same.

All the similar movies that promised a bunch of WTF over dinner and high dialogue, high character (The Invitation with poor man’s Tom Hardy) and all the others I can’t think of off the top of my head weren’t quite perfect. They tried too hard for shock value and wow moments.

The Menu felt perfect in its pacing, timing and it kept its same level throughout. It shocked even though it telegraphed its shocks. It toyed with the delivery of the suspense.

This movie was flawlessly made. ******* flawless. ******* beautiful. Whoever made this movie ******* loves movies.

It was not pretentious, never boring, never dull. I might watch it one more time in my life, but…

I’ll enjoy it then, too.