What movie are you watching?

Forge

Watched Fruitvale Station again, that movie is absolutely outstanding.  Probably should have won some awards, outstanding and very powerful film.  First real lead role for Michael B. Jordan, extremely well done!

Also watched Parasite again, hated that movie originally and after watching it again hated it even more.  What a joke that film won 4 Oscars and according to IMDb is the #34 best movie all time?  Movie freaking sucks absolutely, lucky for them Song Kango-Ho was in it so people did not shut it off.  

So odd the director is now known for that when he also directed and wrote Snowpiercer a far better film in every way I would say.  

• Like 1

I watched the the Caesar Planet of the Apes trilogy in preparation for Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, which I saw yesterday. Such consistency in this franchise. Not a true weak link so far, which is refreshing in a modern blockbuster series. I'd rank them:

1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

2. War for the Planet of the Apes

3. Rise of the Planet of the Apes

4. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Biggest issue with Kingdom were minutes 20-60. It rreeeaaalllllyyy dragged for a bit. But overall I liked the themes and the two competing motivations for the humans and Noa.

• Like 1

I saw the tv glow

really enjoyed this; super immersive. up there with challengers as my favorite of '24 so far. a lot of the theater hated it. quite a few parts you might roll your eyes at, but visually it's incredible. felt like something David Robert Mitchell would make, just from the way it looked. really unique feel. and easily the best score I've seen in a movie in a long time. just some of the dialogue is a little iffy for my taste, but still really great movie. 

9 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I watched the the Caesar Planet of the Apes trilogy in preparation for Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, which I saw yesterday. Such consistency in this franchise. Not a true weak link so far, which is refreshing in a modern blockbuster series. I'd rank them:

Biggest issue with Kingdom were minutes 20-60. It rreeeaaalllllyyy dragged for a bit. But overall I liked the themes and the two competing motivations for the humans and Noa.

Same rankings as well. I got a little bored during Kingdom and there was a drop off from having Cesar as the main guy. Sounds like this was mainly to set up future movies. 

16 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Having seen the new one yet but my rankings would be

Dawn-Rise-War

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Bodies Bodies Bodies

Fun movie and sticks the landing

I thought this movie was great. Lots of fun. You're  absolutely right about the ending. 

• Like 1

Rewatched kill bill 1 and 2 and gotta reup my rankings

1 inglorous basterds

2 django unchained

3 jackie brown

4 kill bill

5  hateful 8

6 reservoir dogs

7 pulp fiction

8 death proof

9 once upon a time 

They are all very good so a 9 doesnt mean a bad movie by any means

21 hours ago, Malfatron said:

9 once upon a time 

They are all very good so a 9 doesnt mean a bad movie by any means

I'm curious why OUATIH  is so low on ppl's lists.  It's Tarantino's masterpiece imo.  

Is it too much of a slow burn?  Is it not bcuz it's not as violent?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

I'm curious why OUATIH  is so low on ppl's lists.  It's Tarantino's masterpiece imo.  

Not one i would want to watch again imo, though i did like it the first time

• Like 1

Sicario was great.  I saw it twice(first time was a few years ago), and while it was better the second time, I wouldn't want to watch it again anytime soon.  It feels like the war on drugs is similar to this, where even the good guys get their hands just as dirty, if not dirtier than the drug lords they're going after.  Great cast and direction.  I wish I saw this in the theater just for the scene on the border, that was tense.  10/10

Machete is a pure guilty pleasure movie.  The violence and blood/gore is so over the top it's almost comical.  Great cast in this as well.  I could watch this once every year.  8/10

3 hours ago, thrILL! said:

not really low for me; i think it's mid-tier tarantino. i watched it 3 times and liked it each time. some of tarantino's funniest sequences, especially the last manson murders sequence. it's easy breezy and fun and i liked just existing in that world. fun just going around this grimy *** old LA area. probably the only time besides jackie brown (my favorite tarantino) where we got real flawed characters that didn't feel like cartoons or just characters that were speaking his tarantino dialogue. only reason it's not super high like in the jackie brown / hateful eight territory for me is just there's long sequences that really did nothing for me emotionally and i just wasn't completely invested/captivated in what was happening. it was scenes that were definitely necessary, but they just didn't do it for me and felt kinda lifeless to me at certain points. and for some reason it just felt constricted even though it was a pretty sprawling film. like i remember licorice pizza came out a like a year later and i think they were going for a similar vibe in a sense, but that movie just felt so much more random / anything can happen... and it just looked so much more interesting visually. wish QT filmed it on whatever he filmed Hateful Eight on. just enjoyed Jackie, Hateful 8, Kill Bill more, but OUATIH is a movie i'll probably revisit a few more times if i live an average amount of time 

Posted (edited)

hi-casablanca-2676350.jpg

It's been a while since I watched Casablanca, and it's every bit of the absolute classic I remember it being.  Do yourself a favor and watch in on Max if you've never seen it.

Edited by THE DUKE